Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

1 In 8 Chance of Record Breaking Temps this Summer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

...Well According to the Met Office that is.

Do you think it will be a Record Breaking Summer especially following patters from April?

Do you think it will be a Rubbish Summer?

What do you think!

Be Careful! Remember Last year they predicted August to have temperatures upto to 40c! In a Way it turned out Completely Opposite turning out wet and quite cool!

So give us your thoughts!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

I can't recall any mention of the 'met' touting 40c anywhere. Its not their style.

---

Regarding the odds, As I've said before, the 1 in 8 odds they quoted I believe they have backwards.

I'd give anyone 8-1 odds on it NOT being a record breaking summer for temperature. After the remarkable 'winter' of 06/07, the spring (that has mostly been semi-summer), the period May-October will continue to be relentless.

Calrissian: wandering around

I don't really know what this summer will bring, one can't say that just because we've had an exceptional April that an exceptional summer is to follow. But our climate is warming so an above average / well above average summer looks likely to moi.

And "they" who predicted 40c last August was the tabloid newspapers and their lies. Should be ignored.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I wouldn`t bet on a 40c +max. in UK but i would think that all the Summer Monthly CET`s will be above average based on recent month`s.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The 40C was some newspaper headline. Probably the same wragg that predicted Snow a few weeks ago. Still reckon theres a good chance of a Hot summer whether it'll be record breaking is another matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
The 40C was some newspaper headline. Probably the same wragg that predicted Snow a few weeks ago. Still reckon theres a good chance of a Hot summer whether it'll be record breaking is another matter.

The Snow bit was the Daily Star i think! I thought i heard the met say 40c for last august. Sorry if im wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I wouldnt be at all suprised if it hit 40c THISYEAR ... It almost did last year , only a few degrees out.

Posted

I would say End of June/ July may get the hottest temps of the year.

Posted

I must say ive never experienced such a Dry April. Only about 2 days of rain for me!

Posted

I think temps will get upto 35c quite easy this year and wouldnt be surprised if its record breaking.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
I must say ive never experienced such a Dry April. Only about 2 days of rain for me!

you will probably pay for it this summer ,we all might as i think we may have a rather unsettled one and not as warm as people think.all this great weather we have been having for weeks i think something has to give and will so over the summer imo

Posted
you will probably pay for it this summer ,we all might as i think we may have a rather unsettled one and not as warm as people think.all this great weather we have been having for weeks i think something has to give and will so over the summer imo

Yes master.....I think it will all begin to break down towards the end of may. This easterly influnce may set a trend towards a cool dry summer. Not getting to hot. Theres also the chance of a good hurricane season bring lots of rain are wayt towards the end of summer. MAYBE ONE OF THE HURRICANES WILL HAVE THE POWER TO REACH OUR SHORES BEFORE IT DIES OUT?

A hot summer..it will not be....

Posted

Im hoping for alot of South/South Easterly Winds and Thunderstorms. This Easterly Influence will surely Give up soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well on Breakfast they showed a newspaper with the 40C headline. Can't remember the paper though neither can I remember Carol K response when asked.

Posted

I think 40c is a little too high for the UK. We're surrounded by cold seas with sea breezes generally penetrating inland because of the small land area we have. That helps keep temperatures down by some way. If we were attached to the continent I'd say it's possible but since we aren't it's unlikely (or extremely unlikely if we were in the mid sixties)

38c has been reached before 2003 and come close many times before. 38.1c was recorded at Greenwich in July 1911 which was later not accepted due to "non-standard screening conditions" but a standard screening station managed 36.1c at Epsom which was a record for July until last year.

Posted

I don't know OP, i think its do-able, esp later this century if the GW lobby are right. We hit 38C in 2003 with a really exceptional heatwave, but IMO we would have hit 39C had the pattern came after such a prolonged spell of above average temps. Now given GW is happening its got to be only a matte rof time before all the factors come into play again like 2003 but with a higher base its obvious you get higher temps as a result.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I've a feeling that we could be let down this year, i would love a long hot summer , but i doubt it , i can see May,June and July being quite average temp wise and above average rainfall levels TBH with the dry sunny weather returning for August and September, but i hope i'm wrong

Ian

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

I hope you're wrong too, Ian :rofl:

I want a scorching summer with heatwave after heatwave, then a rapid cool down at the end of September ready for a good winter.

What I want and what I get though are probably two very different things!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
I hope you're wrong too, Ian 8)

I want a scorching summer with heatwave after heatwave, then a rapid cool down at the end of September ready for a good winter.

Cymru, i'm just one of lifes pessimists when it comes to getting the weather i want , i would love a hot summer and cold snowy winter , but i live in the NW of England so i'm likely to get neither :rofl: let's hope we get what we want.

Ian B)

Posted
I hope you're wrong too, Ian :rofl:

Thirty long years ago your wish would have had a hope of occuring. Not now though.

The only is how many records will be yet broken this year, not a matter of 'will it be a cool summer'.

Cool is a word best set aside for an era now past. 2007 is relentless, get used to such conditions.

Calrissian: Alpha Dog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

What would I want? I think I'd fancy a varied summer, more akin to those experienced on the near-Continent, with the following distribution:

Dry, sunny and warm (generally low 20s Celsius) for 50% of the time,

Convective "sunshine and showers" and occasional thunderstorms for 30%,

Hot (generally mid to high 20s Celsius) with thundery outbreaks for 20%.

What do I expect? Unfortunately, although I've become quite experienced at issuing month-ahead forecasts, I'm not so good when it comes to predicting weather more than a month in advance. My guess would probably be no better than anyone else's. "Above average" is a near certainty temperature wise; rainfall and sunshine are impossible to predict.

Posted

I agree with Spurry. I'm not at all sure about this summer now. I think it may well turn out to be rather dissapointing for heat lovers. There is still a lot of cold (by now cool), weather bottled up to the North. Knowing our luck it'll probably choose the summer to spill South!

For me, a continuation of this week would be perfect until October. beautiful blue skies, strong sunshine, no humidity & a good breeze. Absolute heaven!

Dave

Posted
I hope you're wrong too, Ian :)

Exactly. IF you want something you can bet your bottom doller it won't turn out like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's pretty likely to be warm with the last cool summer being 1998. I'm in two minds about this summer. On the one hand its been relentless above average temperatures for almost 12 months now so I'd like to predict a hot summer. But on the other hand there's still the chance this spell will break and we'll get an average summer. Personally I hope it stays hot/warm till late Sept then plunge down into an epic winter!

Other thing about a hot or warm summer - it can easily come from high minima coupled with high humidity & cloudy skies. Generally a quite unpleasent setup for most people. Equally an 'average' summer could easily come from warm to hot days with cool nights, plenty of sunshine & low humidity. If I had to pick one of those I'd pick the second for sure.