Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

DAY 4 Discussion - 03-05-07

Gorky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Looks like tomorrow will be a travel day for our team, so our Chase area will be the Big Texan in Amarillo, chasing them beers in readiness for Fridays event in the Panhandles & Western Kansas. We will post reports and pictures tomorrow, Wednesday saw more Supercells but with dreadful conditions for photography, although we did manage some pretty impressive Mammatus, Rainbow & Lightning shots, will upload when Paul's Laptop is out of this place.

Netweather Chase team

Posted

Just looking at the latest model run, Thursday afternoon and evening could see some isolated TRW+ forming with a weak feature embedded in the warm sector of the developing complex low. Would not be surprised if there are a few storms around west of Amarillo to Lubbock by 4 pm local time. Then Friday looks good as you say, with waves of low pressure coming out of central Arizona to northern NM and se Colorado, eventually a strong severe storm event seems likely although it will be very hot (34-37 C) and relatively dry (dp in 16-18 C range) as thicknesses exceed 576 dm by Friday. This should be generally a good thing allowing for better visibility around any cells that do form.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

Reports of models over forecasting dewpoints. South Texas or more probably eastern Louisianna look good targets although instability looks very meagre in Louisianna. Probably a good idea to travel today ready for Friday and Saturday.

Friday and it looks like the action moves north to Oklahoma or Kansas with probably Kansas slightly favoured.

Saturday and the action looks set to intensify. Looking at the wind fields for north Kansas and you can see the winds almost doing a 180 degree turn. Better instability further south though.

I think I would head towards north Oklahoma, driving conditions could be a bit tricky in the target area Friday so I would be looking towards Saturday.

Looks like tomorrow will be a travel day for our team, so our Chase area will be the Big Texan in Amarillo, chasing them beers in readiness for Fridays event in the Panhandles & Western Kansas. We will post reports and pictures tomorrow, Wednesday saw more Supercells but with dreadful conditions for photography, although we did manage some pretty impressive Mammatus, Rainbow & Lightning shots, will upload when Paul's Laptop is out of this place.

Netweather Chase team

Does Ian know the way to Amarillo? The stormtroopers love his legs.

Posted

I think the best call would be as the others said to just travel today and place yourself for tommorow. There is a fair amount of cape present in Texas, esp on the SW side and a little reaching over into west LA as well but its not got much of a trigger at all to get it going and as discussed the humidity is decreasing all the time as the air dries out as the main area of moisture is dragged away to the NE and so any storms that can get going may not last all that long though if they can tap into any cape thats opresent (nd its fairly sizeable) then despite a little shear I think there isn't really much of a point because while potent i don't think they wil lbe that severe in nature compared to tommorow's possiblities, I have ear-marked the 5-6th as a possible date for some pretty severe weather and i stil lthink thats tghe case, got a good chance of a tornado chase but as ever these things are hard to know becausre they tend to develop where they want.

like Brick i would favor Ok/KA sort of region, cape is a touch lower on Sat BUT shear looks a touch up on Friday.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Well the team are on the way to Amarillo, goin to stay at the 'Big Texan' tonight have a few beers and fill tha' bellies full of beef!! Unless any of them happen to be Veggies!! Then it'll be cactus broth!..

Posted

Hi Guys, Currently Heading towards Amarillo from Abilene, the guys are amazed at the difference of the Landscape now, all clear views and brown fields. Big Texan tonight before the next big 4 or 5 days!!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Phew..!! Glad ya not on a chase tonight Paul, i'm blooming shattered!! All these late nights is causing havoc with my psyche!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Hello guys. We are in Amarillo now and have just eaten at the Big Texan steakhouse. What a meal! The appetizer was essentially 1 and a half jacket potatoes filled with cheese and copious prime cuts of steak, followed by a 21oz steak, fries and mash. Needless to say be on the look out for some isolated wind reports on the SPC page, if you know what I mean!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Hello guys. We are in Amarillo now and have just eaten at the Big Texan steakhouse. What a meal! The appetizer was essentially 1 and a half jacket potatoes filled with cheese and copious prime cuts of steak, followed by a 21oz steak, fries and mash.

Yum. *Stomach rumbles*.