Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

stevestorms Group

stevestorms

Posted

Hi following Pauls Topic I thought I would add me own, a few words about me and whos in my group this year.

I am Steve aka stevestorms, I am a 46yoa Paramedic Team Leader and I live and work in South Norfolk my family are Janet my wife and my 2 daughters "STORM" 8 and "DANICA" 3 my hobbies are stormchasing/severe weather photography and video all digital, I like going to the Gym and my cars and m/cycles which keeps me poor :whistling:

Anyway my storm experence started in 1989 when I was caught in a Tornado in December of all months!!!it done around 1million in damages to "LONG STRATTON" which is where I now live.

Since my encounter with a Tornado in 89 I wanted to see every storm that was on offer and this lead to going out in my car and chasing for me was born!!! I then roped me close pal James Banham into coming along and after a few good storms he was hooked too :rolleyes:

In 2000 I wanted to see the massive Tstorms of USA's Midwest and Tornado Alley, so I picked out Charles Edwards and Cloud9 Tours it was a good choice. we see 3 tornados and one was the Brady Nebraska Tornado F3 :) at this time Jim Leonard also teamed up with Charles and so I got to know Jim----------- a bit, lol he is a very quite man but I have super respect for him.

So having been bitten by the USA chasing bug ---- well you just have to go again and again and again

Ok our bunch this year-----------

Me,STEVE LANSDELL seen a bunch of Tornados supercells and wittnessed probably one of the most spectacular Lightning ever 2004 Nebraska lightning firing at 6 TIMES A SECOND!!!!!! for hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have not got words for this, but have got video :) this will be my 6th tour

JAMES BANHAM South Norfolk, our I.T. navigator has been on all but one chase with myself and its James website we take our chase team name ---TEAM UKSTORM www.ukstorm.net

PETE SCOTT Brentwood Essex, Who sometimes shares the driving lol and is a great photographer.

TOM LYNCH The only one who has actually lived in the USA coming from Kedal we nick named him "THE NORTHERN MONKEY"

Between us we have some chasing experence, we will be using our trusty Baron System for the 3rd time and look forward to possible sortware updates this year, we use a whole bunch of Digital cameras mostly Canon EOS and 3ccd Camcorders, we all have laptops, James is a radioham so we have a bunch of radios and repeaters so those of you at home can watch us move around the midwest and in and around the storms :-) we have gprs sat nav with back ups for everything we have so many arials the car looks like a blinking hedgehog!!

The trip is from the 3rd till the 26th May 23 days leaving from LGW to FWT then onto OKC our base is NORMAN OK its 40mins south of the airport but we have made it home and cannot start our chase any other way :) on arrival we get rid of our luggage in the hotel and shoot next door to the WALMART supercenter buy the stuff we need, water. rainX cloths and heres a TIP a black towel to lay across dashboard it stops horrible reflections when shooting video through windowscreen, that done we make off across the carpark for the KKs ---Krispy Kreams the best donuts in the world :)

We will be joined by pals Martin and Andy about a week later and then Paul Sherman a little later.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted
Thanks Steve, will be looking forward to hearing your reports :whistling:

Yep no worries Paul Im sure i can send a pic or 2 back as well :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Here's hoping 2007 is as crazy as 1974 mixed with 1999!!

Happy chasing...

Posted

I've noticed a worrying amount of the storm chasers appear to come from east Anglia, Steve, Paul, Nick F, James and Pete!!

Anyway good to hear from you, hopefully all the teams that are going out there (and there are quite a few it seems) gets lucky.

Posted

Good luck with it all Steve and the team!! Here's hoping that this year will be a good one for all the teams over there.

Stay safe chaps.. :)

I've noticed a worrying amount of the storm chasers appear to come from east Anglia, Steve, Paul, Nick F, James and Pete!!

I've heard rumours that it's all the nitrates in the water supply.. :drinks:

Posted
you have a child called storm?

Yes of course and if I had my way my youngest "Danica" would have been "Chase" ;)

Storm is a great name and as she is going on 9 yoa I named her before the X-men films ! it was a strong name and she is the only one in her school although I have now heard some people naming their girls "Storm" in Norfolk although it remains rare :) my wife actually found it in a old book of names and it has been used 80 odd years ago ! they must have had UK chasers then too, maybe Paul S remembers ??????? ;)

Posted

Best Of Luck Steve, and will see you after the 11th May for the Fat Blokes Tour !!

Paul S :lol:

Posted

Anyway good to hear from you, hopefully all the teams that are going out there (and there are quite a few it seems) gets lucky.

It's because it's the closest thing we have got to the plains in the UK :-)

• 2 weeks later...