Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Nina

Posted

Hi

Until recently i had never heard of el Nina. I knew about el nino as i have read about it in books and heard you guys talking about it. What is el Nina and what impact will it have on our weather this year. Also what does it mean for next winter.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Hi

Until recently i had never heard of el Nina. I knew about el nino as i have read about it in books and heard you guys talking about it. What is el Nina and what impact will it have on our weather this year. Also what does it mean for next winter.

Thanks

Mark

'La Nina', is simply the reversal of El Nino, where El Nino brings warmer belt of water off the western south american coast, the La Nina replaces it with colder sea temperatures, its probably a seasaw effect in theory, but not enough is know about the phenomena to explain its effect on us. The effects of La Nina bring floods to the Atacama desert, and droughts to Australia. Whether it has any real effects on our weather is yet to be deciphered. The only way it could possibly have an effect is if the water waters/cooler water penetrated the Panama canal.

The current understanding of the effects on this country is that for El Nino - wet and mild, while La Nina = dry. But Im sceptical until I see evidence this is the case over a long period (over 20 years worth of data correlation)