Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Introducing The Netweather Team

Paul Sherman

Posted

So with under 4 weeks to go, It is time to Introduce the Netweather Storm Chasing Team for 2007

PAUL SHERMAN - Guide & Driver

Paul Sherman is a 34 Year Old Company Director from Leigh On Sea In Essex. I work in Central London when not spending all of my time on Netweather :) Hobbies include Storm Chasing, Spending time with my wife and 3 little princesses & Fishing. This will be my 4th time out to the Great Plains of the Mid-West and after my 22 days I will have clocked up about 75 days of Storm Chasing, highlights so far include about 17 Supercells, Giant Hail and 3 Tornadoes. 2005 & 2006 were VERY Lean years out in the States, Supercells were plentiful but they just were not spinning, Although Storm Structures were awesome.

" I cannot wait to get back out there again and this time taking 5 people who have never seen a Supercell or Extremely Violent Storm will be great, just getting out there and not knowing where the trip will take us or who we will encounter on the way (Animals as well) makes the trip more Interesting. This year we will have the Updated Barons Software whilst on the move and all the weather technology needed whilst Chasing these Massive Storms, and with the help of Net-Weather Members here on this forum I am sure we will be looked after very well whilst out Chasing in the Field. We will be Chasing in a 7 seat Mini Van hired from Dallas Fort Worth Airport and would probably expect to put about 4-5,000 miles on the clock in the 10 days of Chasing and possibly 10-12,000 miles for my 22 days out there, this season is shaping up nicely and looks better than last year as moisture is green and plentiful unlike last years Dustbowl environment, I firmly believe lack of rich Gulf Of Mexico Moisture was a real stumbling block throughout 2005 & 2006, but with a Green Texas this year all is looking fine for some Dryline Storms. I am hoping that with the Combination of Me & Nick we can teach the others what the Storm is doing in its full life cycle and to get some more amazing Storm Shots, as I have said in previous years the Tornado Shot is the Icing on the Cake. Lets just hope the atmospherics play ball because if they do and with the team we have got I am sure we will witness some Spectacular Storms "

NICK FINNIS - Senior Forecaster & Barons Operator

Nick is 31 years old and has a degree in Plant science and horticulture and works for a Fruit Import company in Kent. Nick has had a long Interest in Weather from a young age, not just storms but other types of more extreme weather such as snow etc. Nick has studied the dynamics of how the weather works quite profusely since the start of the Internet age mainly due to the wealth of knowledge available on the Net. Nick quite regularly follows and contributes to the Uk Convective threads both on Netweather and Ukww, and is a Senior Forecaster with NW Being involved with Alerts and short-range forecasts that are produced freely on N-W, along with providing forecasts and educational material on the forum.

"This will be my first time out to the US on a Storm Chase, even though I have been keen to go out there the last few years, other issues preventing me have succumbed. Paul Sherman (an old hand now) begged me to come out to the US to experience 'Real' storms in late April and to help navigate us towards those severe storms with Barons at hand. I think my 1st day of experiencing a severe storm on the plains will be a big adrenaline rush at first mixed with awe, then hopefully I will get addicted and want to go back year after year"

NATHAN (Gorky) - GPS Operator

Nathan will turn 25 the week before we land and works as an IT Technician at the local council. Although he is seriously considering going back to Uni and studying Meteorology if and when finances allow. Nathan studied Computer science at York University and his hobbies include Watching Severe Weather and he also follows all types of Motorsport passionately. He is also a keen gamer wasting many hours online playing role playing games.

"Since I can first remember i have always been fascinated by how small and insignificant nature can make you feel - be it watching a massive thunderstorm or just staring at the millions of stars on a clear night. There is something about the juxtaposition of beauty and destruction at the same time which grabs my attention be it Hubble images of a Supernova or satellite images of an Impressive Hurricane. One of the reasons I am looking forward to this trip is really to test what I have been learning in my spare time over the last few years with regards to Storm Chasing. It's the thrill of the chase, competing against nature trying to predict where it is going to throw the next spectacular show and being there to witness it. I know this all sounds pretty melodramatic, and you were probably expecting an answer along the lines of "I wanna see a Tornado!!!!" but the whole package interests me. Anyway let's hope we are given the chance to put these skills to good use this May! "

STEWART (Audmun)

Stewart is 29 years old and from Northampton although born in Scotland way back in 77. He works as a Supervisor in the field of transport and HGV's Class 1's specifically, so has a built in respect for the weather as it affects what he does and when he is able to do it on a daily basis in his work life. He names his hobbies as Cooking, Computers, Walking and like Nathan a keen passion for F1 Motor Racing!

" I would like to gain a first hand understanding of what the hell is going on with the weather without the need to learn another language meteorology speaking. I believe that in order to truly appreciate something you must at least have a basic understanding of what is creating it, why it is doing so, and what the effects will be in the future. I know you may laugh at this but it is just a case of trying to understand the whole picture rather than just the little bit that is affecting me.

I must admit that all of my Storm Chasing knowledge comes from a certain film in the 90's (You may know the one I mean) however having met up with Pale Blue Sky and reading the forums, I now know that this is even more exaggerated in places than I previously thought. I really dont know anything about this pastime but am going into it with a totally clear mind with no predetermind beliefs"

AINE - Pale Blue Sky

Aine is also 29 and from Northampton (Stewarts Partner) She works in local government and studies part time. Her interests are reading and writing fantasy and sci-fi, music, walking and the weather.

"I have been awed by Storms for a good portion of my life - I'm infamous throughout my work and home life for being unable to get any work done on days when storms are forecast, always having 1 eye on the nearest window. Anyone who looks at my posting history will notice I generally only emerge on the forums during the storm season. Somewhere in my early to Mid twenties I realised that as a 30th Birthday treat to myself, I was going to go on a Storm Chasing holiday to the US. I see it as the equivalent of a Chocoholics pilgrimage to Cadburys (Which is also fun!!) What I am looking for out of this trip is fairly simple, I want to see big thunderstorms. I have seen the pictures, watched the YouTube Clips, now i want to experience it for myself. I also want to know what all the terminology means! If i can see the kind of storms I have only seen in photographs, and bring back some useful knowledge, then I'll be content"

IAN CAMERON

Ian is 28 years old and from South East London, he works as a Civil Servent in Central London. He is a Passionate Liverpool supporter :) Ian has also extensively travelled the World on put together holidays and has been to India, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Africa and many other parts of the world, apart from Tornado Alley!!

" This will be a great trip for me to explore an area of the world I have never seen before, and to hopefully sample some of the most Devastating Storms the planet has to offer. I have seen some of Paul's footage from other years and can tell you a small storm not worth chasing in the Plains is the equivalent of the Uk's most Severe storm of the year, so when a Storm goes severe you had better be ready for a show to rival no others" I am going to travel the full 22 days with Paul and hopefully at some stage take the Road to Amarillo :) "

So there is the Team, I hope you will all wish us luck in May and if you have any questions or want any more info from the 6 members do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Good luck you lucky people. :)

I only have 1 question... Does anyone have any spare room in the suitcase to hide little old me??? :)

Posted

Looks like you have the A-Team there! :) *cue theme tune*

Good luck Paul, Nick and the rest of the team. Let's hope you get some great storms and can capture an elusive tornado, or two, on camera. Will be watching out for your reports with great interest.

Posted

Good stuff! A storm chasing trip to America is my ultimate dream, but until I have the money it will have to remain a dream. However, I look forward to reading your experiences here, and I hope you all have a great time, see some great storms, but stay safe. :)

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Good luck to all involved!!! im looking forward to your reports !!

this is one of my main ambitions , maybe one day i will venture out there [ when i have saved enough dosh]

nigel

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Have a safe and memorable time you lucky people...

Hope you hit lucky on every chase.(I'm sure you'll recieve plenty of help and suggestions from NW members!)

Just one question Paul, "When you go to hire your vehicle, do you have to pay more if you tell them youre stormchasing?..

NL..

Posted

Feels like the big build-up now has started.

The great thing with this is that your going to get quite a few people watching the storms out there in the land of virtual. A really nice mix there of people who know exactly what they are talking aobut and those who know less but want to learn all they can and all look keen at the moment.

I think this has to be nearly every weather nuts dream and you six are gonig to be doing it.

Question- Will you be meeting up with the other groups, i know that there are a good 8 other groups looking at UKWW site so ther emust be a fair chanc eof banging into people while chasing, depsite the large size of the chast zone.

Posted

Thanks for the nice Words already guys, and yes you will all be invaluable in one way or another, if say for instance we get a scenario like last year when the Bow Echo hit Brownwood (Tx) and knocked out the Wifi, we had no data at all but with a few texts to people in the Uk we can keep upto speed, hopefully nothing like that will happen this year and it only happened once last year, to answer a few questions.

1. Do you tell them you are Storm Chasing when hiring a car.

A. No absolutely not, I tell them we are on a Landscape Photography holiday, i get the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) and then nonchalently ask if there is an added Insurance if we get caught out in any adverse weather (HAILSTORMS) :):) I then opt for Gold Insurance which covers me in case of dents etc from 4" Stones.

2. Will we meet up with other group whilst out there.

A. I will be meeting up with Stevestorms group from the 11th May (Steve Lansdell) who is in a convoy of 6 themselves, will phone them after we have bid farewell to Nick and the group and meet up some point after 11th May, I dont have too as we have the Barons as well, but when you are left with 2 people it gets a whole lot harder (Re GPS etc)

3. Is there any room in your Suitcase :):)

A. There was but my tripod has just taken the last space!!!

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted
Looks like you have the A-Team there! :D *cue theme tune*

Here we go the Net weather team

Good luck everyone.

I would love to go on one of these trips but im sure I would do your heads in by asking to stop every 10mins for a cigarette break!. Im sure by day 2 you would stick me under an F5 and be thinking to yourselves "Thats the last I hear of E,lys" :D

Posted

Good luck team, looking forward to some nice photos of an F5. No pressure at all :D

I was so close to being in that team, but ah well will wait a year or 2 then it's my turn :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Good luck team!

It was great following the progress in 2005 and 2006 and I know that this year is going to be a cracker with loads of great pics!

AM

Posted

I want to add my good wishes to you all :shok: .

Seeing the thread with the video (posted in Storms area) of a 'stacked plate supercell' just puts the severe storms we (very occasionally) get here into insignificance.

Posted

Happy Chasing Guys and stay safe. Will be watching closely as last year.

Hey Paul..... hope you got that little 'citation' from last year sorted!!!

Good luck and stay safe.

Posted

Hi Karen yes fully paid up, will never forget Marble Falls (Texas) in a hurry :shok: Although the State trooper only caught me at 10 over (80mph) in a 70 zone, i was actually doing 90 at one stage. He said it took him 4 miles to catch up with me, the git !!

Paul S

Both parts of the Citation

post-1669-1175557345_thumb.jpg post-1669-1175772644_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

So envious not to be going but will enjoy following you and armchair storm chasing ! Again ! Definitely next year.....