Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Cold Spell

Posted

Well considering it's late March and the sun is now quite strong, i was happy with the beefy snow showers i go on Sunday. These gave a slight covering which i was happy with.

However i do think people were expecting more from the cold snap, meaning more snow and a covering. Though going by the winter we have just had, i think it was an ok cold snap. With snow cover in places and heavy wintry showers elsewhere.

:mellow:

Posted

Last March we had much more,still in a poor winter we had one good dumping which was good.Now i just want the sun back-a week a go i was washing the car in a T shirt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

a non starter here ...like the winter just gone...no snow not particularly cold either..nothing unusaul for the mid late march..dont know what the fuss was about?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Acording to ALL of the various radars the leading edge of the band should have been over me for quite some time but theres nothing coming out of the sky! Crazyness, I'v been looking out all morning, no rain, sleet, graupal, let alone snow, just cloud! ;)

Posted

As expected really. Snow showers fell on Sun,Mon,Tues and even had a slight covering after a heavy shower on Tues afternoon.

A very typical March N,ly which is why I was bemused at some of the ramping beforehand because you cannot really expect much more than what I recieved during mid March.

Posted

Absolutely brilliant. Drove in hellish conditions of 50m visibility with snow blowing and very heavy snow falling constantly - through Moray and Highland (I won't use the phrases 'blizzard' or 'whiteout' as these exceptional conditions are rarely reached anywhere in the UK - even at 1500ft up Cairgorm in a gale on Monday morning I don't think the definition was met, but it may have been in Telford later in the day).

8-10cms of lying snow outside and apart from slipping in the dam stuff and banging my head on a lamppost whilst cutting my hand - it was most thoroughly enjoyable. It's all about geography :)

<<<see avatar ;)

Posted
Acording to ALL of the various radars the leading edge of the band should have been over me for quite some time but theres nothing coming out of the sky! Crazyness, I'v been looking out all morning, no rain, sleet, graupal, let alone snow, just cloud! ;)

The front has began to fizzle rapidly, i got to make a few snowballs and throw them at my sister. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Ahhhh, is your head ok Shugeeeeeee mate? No doubt about it, it was all about geography, some places did ok, others went without. Many suffered due to the high SSTs, warmer sectors and the hit and miss nature of the shower activity. There have been many Mid Marches and even Aprils that have priduced a lot more of the white stuff though with similar Northerly set ups. PPN was generally poor, I had expected the higher then normal SSTs in the North sea and stronger Sun to have sparked off some massive instability with organised bands of showers merging together and moving well inland, it was not to be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A surprisingly potent snap for Cleadon, given how heavily affected the previous cold snaps in January and February were by those high SSTs.

On Tuesday the temperature crept no higher than 3.8C and there were heavy blowing snow & hail showers all day, and only a partial thaw of the early-morning snow cover.

It has still been a notably snowless winter, but the 18-21 March northerly seems to have been fairly representative of a potent blast at this time of year, for this specific location.

Posted

Interesting how a couple of coastal regions in the NE of England did better then inland, from the pics I'v seen I came to the conclusion that there must have been some altitute in those coastal areas, Newcastle did pretty well as well on tuesday evening.

Posted

Hi Folks

It was pretty unspectacular as a cold spell down in S.E Essex and London, a couple of beefy snow showers not much frost, some brilliant sunshine early in the mornings all pointing to a typical March day. Bring on the summer..

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Nothing to get too excited about, a few light wintry showers, no snow cover except on the highest hills, a bit of a let down considering the source of the airmass.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothign special here but at least it managed to snow. Tied with Feb with the most days with snow falling.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Nothing spectacular here. A few snow/graupel showers and that was it. I wasn't expecting much so therefore I wasn't disappointed. I'm now looking forward to some warm springlike weather and a scorching hot summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

It was quite poor here.

Only a few miles to my east there was about 2 or 3 cm, I could even see the white fields to my east on Tuesday and Wednesday and yet I had nothing but a VERY thin dusting :wallbash:

This was my view on Tuesday but on Wednesday there was even more over there.

post-3392-1174569562_thumb.jpg

All I wanted was enough to leave me satisfied and looking forward to summer storms but that wasn't enough, I still want more snow.

I'm pleased some deserving people have had something out of this 'cold' snap.

Posted

The cold spell was very good for me with lots of snow showers including 2cm one night followed by another dusting the following night i just hoped it would last a couple of days longer.

Posted

Down here in central southern England I tend to think of a northerly as a few cold clear days with a biting wind and perhaps a short snow flurry or two. That's pretty much what we got - rain and hail showers on Sunday afternoon, a couple of 5 minute flurries on Monday and Tuesday and dry yesterday. Some wet snow early this morning that threatened to settle but turned rapidly to rain, and it's now murky with drizzle. Interestingly, today looks like being the coldest day of the week round here (about 7 deg C), although the wind has died down so it feels much less cold than recently.

Posted

Sunday was the best day here with frequent heavy snow and hail showers and some thunder and lightning. The other days were mostly sunny and very windy with a few light snow showers. It was nice to see all the hills around Belfast lough with snow on them for a few days, even though none settled here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

quite good for me, i had heavy snow showers sunday night, did stick, everything on monday, snow morning then hail, thunder, lightning later

a flurry of snow on tuesday

Posted

I'm actually happy with the cold spell, well it was a cold snap really.

Some extent of snow fell on 4 days (although none settled), there were two hard frosts, plenty of sunshine and, for the only time in the winter period, a screaming Northerly gale!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It was a nice, bright, clean cold spell. Now its outliving its welcome with a raw feeling easterly and grim continuous drizzle. Mildish tonight under the cloud but not by day unless the Sun burns through at any point.