Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Station (WMR-968) Issues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm having a problem with my WMR 968 weather station. All has been fine for about a year now but just recently the outdoor temperature sensor has been failing to return data for varying lengths of time. It'll work fine for a few hours, then no data for another few hours, then back on again.

I assumed it was the battery backup that had failed, since relying on them all winter in a north facing garden & its solar panel being lowest down of the three sensors. Last night I replaced the batteries & got it all running again. At about midnight it failed again & stopped returning data until about 8am this morning- then, back to normal (for now).

I recently moved the base station across the room since the PC its attached to has been moved (its become my 'process' machine - webserver/data logger/downloader, etc. while I've got a new one that I use normally) - might this be a problem? The distance hasn't changed so seems unlikely its out of range. The other sensors are fine. There does seem to be pattern of going from working to not working during sunrise/sunset - is there perhaps interferance from somewhere? The base station rests on the PC at the moment. Anyone else had similar issues?

Posted

I think you're probably finding there is a range/interference issue with the wireless - can you change the channel on that unit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

hmm not sure actually - I think it may well do. Shall have to investigate further when I get home. Can see its stopped working again now but can't do owt about it till work is over! Kinda annoying as I'd like to know how warm it gets today. Oh well...

Posted

Could there be some kind of interference with the base station sitting on the PC.

Posted

I had the same problem around 5 months ago. I moved the base station from one room to another (same distance from the outdoor equipment still) and found my anemometer was intermittently giving out data, this went on for over 2 weeks!

I even tuned in my scanner to make sure it was transmitting when the LED came on and it was sending the DTMF fine. Moved the base station back into its original place and touch wood its been ok since then.

If you can, try putting your basestation back into its original place for a few days.

Edited by LeeKay

Posted

Well I've moved the base station a short distance onto the back of the sofa (the logging PC is down the side of the sofa). So far its been fine so could well be down to the PC or the Motorola homesight security base station also on top of the PC (this seems quite a likely option!). I'll get the base station mounted on the wall as it should be then all will be well again. So a note to anyone else with issues - keep your base station away from wireless routers, pcs and anything else radiation emitting!