Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter

Posted
... the continued trend for increased snowfall seemed to continue, as it wasn't as snowless (in my area anyway) as Winters 1997/98, 1998/99 or 1999/00 etc.

Still looks pretty grim for future Winters. :)

?

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

worst ever winter for me , 3 frosts & not a single snow flake , really awful , find it amazing when i look at our latitude that it could be so free of colder interludes

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Didn't like this winter at all. To me, winter means sharp frosts and snow, just as summer means hot dry days, and this winter just didn't deliver. Mild, wet Atlantic mush for most of the time here. That's not what I call winter. So, all in all, a disappointment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Still a disappointing winter for me weatherwise- but as with last year, the biggest snow event of the 'winter' has happened in March. The snow cover lasted about as readily as the snow events of January and February (i.e. half-gone by about 1pm), which is normal for potent cold snaps at this time of the year, but says a lot about how feeble the January and February efforts were.

The homogeneity of the mildness and resultant lack of variety are the main things I associate with 2006/07; however, I've been quite liking the spring so far.

Posted

hi

Observations of temperature for here and over the past 60 years in this area.

The mean temp here for December-February was 6.6C, the second highest in the period just quoted.

Previous 'warm' winters were:-

1997/98 for Cantley=7.0C

6.5C 1988/89 at RAF Finningley

6.1C 1989/90 ditto

Those last two winters were then followed by a run of less mild winters, starting with 1990/91 at 3.2C.

The question is will history repeat itself?

Once more I have to say, only time will tell.

John

Posted
Those last two winters were then followed by a run of less mild winters, starting with 1990/91 at 3.2C.

The question is will history repeat itself?

Once more I have to say, only time will tell.

John

Hi John,

I suppose it's a bit like playing Higher and Lower. If you draw a king it is likely that the next card will be lower. It's not until you draw another four kings that you know you're not playing the same game any more.

Posted

try reading what you print and making English chum,

'when I diorraeha'??

The post I made was about temperatures, were yours similar?

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

I have to admit its the first winter i've ever known to be snowless, and what i find weird is that its snowed here the last few days ( albeit breif light/moderate snow showers ) but it didn't snow at all during winter, and the snowfall we had the last few days is the first we've had for a year, longest i've gone without seeing snow.

There's hope for next winter, providing El Nino doesn't show its ugly face.

Posted

Intrestingly for this location its very rare for it be as warm as it has been this winter but still to get quite a large snow event that we saw between 8-10th of Feb with some impressive falls in some parts. I certainly don't recall other super mild winters such as 1988-1989 and 1997-1998 having such a large dumping of snow like this winter.

Ironically its actually been the snowiest winter here since 2003.

i think what this winter really should be remembered for is th very mild spells we had, they really were amazingly mild. Also lest us forget its not like we didn't see any cold spells. We had two cold spells where the CET averaged below 0C for a week ( mid-late Dec and early Feb)

While it isn't that rare, it is very rare in such mild winters such as this one, and we had 3 quite noteable cold spells which were fairly potent, tohugh clearly not earth shattering. Despite these the very impressive mild spells easily over-ruled these cold snaps/cold spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

To call that winter is insulting. It was the longest autumn ever recorded. :nonono:

Posted

As far as my area is concerned it would be best to draw a veil over it and forget it. I cannot remember a less snowy winter ever and if there was a saving grace although pretty windy at times it certainly was not one of the windiest that I can recall. It was typical that on the night of the 20th of March we should have the first proper fall of snow (1cm)of the winter followed by the first air frost that I was aware of.