Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

stormchaser1s back garden

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Zachary12

ive been at this patch of garden now since saturday , however the majority of the work has been done over the last 3 days

nigel

Posted

Morning everyone

Well im going to be having a day off today well until around 5ish anyway, current temp in back garden 13.4c , slightly cooler than yesterday , and i think according to the GFS charts it looks like its going to be slightly cooler for the next couple of days ,

Perfect gardening weather later and tormorrow

nigel

Posted

Morning everyone ,

After a day off from the garden yesterday , i have made an early start this morning , 0630am , bit chilly but perfect garden weather . temp has now gone up to 8.8c where at 0600 this morning it was 5.4c ,0800 5.6c.

Clear blue skies , not a cloud in sight .

Ive managed to move another 6 wheelbarrows of old grass from the top of the garden near the fence ,this is gruelling work has this area has never been touched before , When this area is complete , hopefully some Decking will be laid , im going to be putting some climbing plants against the fence , and a small hedge running from the gate down to the washing line , [for a bit of privacy] Prob leylandi [i havent decided yet]

Like i say this area eventually will become a seating area, as we get the breeze from all directions from this position ! and with the sun on the back garden it should look quite nice

nigel

Posted

wow nigel you have done so well.

i start the hard task of doing mine. Not as a big challenge as yours.

but after the leather jackets wrecked the whole places, its all now hard mud...

i want somewhere nice that the kids can play and i can enjoy sitting outside...

Posted

Your doing a good job there Nigel. Think carefully though about planting Leylandii

Posted

hi Nigel if i was you i would invest in a proper fence, not your garden center panels, find a decent

timber yard not the BQ'S of this world and invest in some 6"x1" tanalised timber planks, 4 inch

thick posts, work out the length of your planks so that when you put your posts in, the joints on

planks laid length ways look like joint's on the brick work of your house giving it max strength, then stain the fence with cuprinel and it will last for years.

PS if you lay the planks on top of one another with a slight overlap it looks pretty dam good, o and

use 35mm decking screws

HAPPY GARDENING

Posted

Afternoon everyone

with the temp currently on 16.2c sun is shining down on me , and very few clouds , this top section of the garden is becoming a nightmare to do

It took us nearly 2 hours to break up some old concrete which we found underneath the grass , and underneath this contcrete was a stack of bricks , after doing some investigating, [ asking my neighbour ] who has been here for 30 years or so , he said that the tenant before the last one had a greenhouse in the spot we are digging ,so it looks like we are digging up all the hardcore and concrete which the greenhouse was put on,

Well thats all been dug up [ will put upload a few piccys later] now we are back on track again , i reckon another 5 or 6 wheelbarrows then the top section will be done , all what needs doing to that then is the soil turning over , which will be done tomorrow

Nigel

Posted

re your Leylandi idea

two points

1) new laws make you the planter responsible for keeping it to a reasonable height.

2) IF you plant with this then trim every year, twice a year to get them to bush out and when they are about the height you want to stop at, cut the top back hard and just allow the side shoots below to grow over but keep cutting them.

If you fence, don't use wood for posts get concrete as they last for ever if set in properly. Failing this get the metal pegs and hammer in then fasten the fence to that but don't have the fence right on the ground as it will rot.

good luck

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Well , what a gruelling day we have had today , ive been on the go since around 0630 this morning , [ less hour and 1/2 to go shopping ] apart from that well this is what we have done . The top section is nearly done now apart from the edge by the fence . with the pics below , you can see how many bricks and how much concrete we dug up just from the top section

JOHN AND BARRY

Thanks for your Tips regarding the leylandi and decking and also thanks to everyone who have made comments and who have given me ideas

Its not finished by a long way, this is just leveling the ground before i get to do anything with it

nigel

Posted

this is how the top section looked we demolished it

nigel

Posted

does that fence at the back mark the end of your garden or is the other bit yours as well?

If its yours it gives a very good chance to create an apparent end to your garden where the fence is, partly masked by shrubs/trees,some type of fencing, with a view through it. It helps make the garden look bigger and also gives a bit of an air of mystery to anyone going up/down your garden.

Just an idea.

John

Posted

Morning John

Unfortunately behind the fence is my land too

This image shows what i have at the back of the garden. Hopefully what i intend to do with this , is plant some young trees , and some other plants , as i want to try and attract wild life into the garden. At presant the garden is wide open and we are not getting the privacy we should have ,

nigel

Posted

Nigel: I admire your resilience!

Re Leylandii: yes easy and quick to grow but they will die off at the base in time and are so greedy for water and nutrients that you will have a virtual desert around them. They are also an absolute b..ger to remove. Have a think about one of the many varieties of Laurel instead?

The back section might be suitable for a small orchard/rough grassed area?

Kind regards

Andrew

Posted

Evening Andrew

Thanks for that ... Trouble is with me if i start something , i try and finish it , without even thinking about the consequences ie back pain etc, last week i must have gone through the pain barrier to get that lot done , thats why ive taken it easy for the last too days. Ive still got this week off ,so i will prob do some more [weather permitting]

Thanks again

nigel

Posted

How much further have you got on your garden stormchaser1? I am doing our garden now as we have moved into a new built house (they could not even be bothered to level it) I've been putting down the hardcore for the shed and the new patio. Maybe you could put a small pond at the back to help attract wildlife with some trees and shrubs around it. I can give you some tree and shrub ideas if you want as i do quite a lot of gardening. :) .

P.S just looking at your pictures you have a good sized back garden. Enjoy gardening

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Mark

Thanks for the comments!

At the moment im concentrating on the top section of the garden [2nd picture from the last pictures i posted]

Im currently levelling all this section, then when this is levelled , im going to be concreting a section of this and use it for a seating area ,also im going to be putting two extra steps in either side , when this is done im going to be taking the fence down at the back , and then move it further to the back of the garden ,

Nigel

good luck with your garden

Posted
Mark

Thanks for the comments!

At the moment im concentrating on the top section of the garden [2nd picture from the last pictures i posted]

Im currently levelling all this section, then when this is levelled , im going to be concreting a section of this and use it for a seating area ,also im going to be putting two extra steps in either side , when this is done im going to be taking the fence down at the back , and then move it further to the back of the garden ,

Nigel

good luck with your garden

Nigel,

What a difference :-) Keep it up but watch out the wind doesn't catch you out....seriously though well done :-)

Posted

D

Thanks for the comment

Hope all is well up there in sunny Falkirk

nigel

Posted

evening everyone

Just a few piccys of the garden , and how its looking now , after 2 weeks of grafting

this morning showing some heavy fog

Posted

Mark and Zachary12

Thanks for your comments , much appreciated

The last two weeks has been pretty gruelling , but its getting there slowly , I WILL BE GLAD TO GET BACK TO WORK FOR A REST

NIGEL

Posted
The last two weeks has been pretty gruelling , but its getting there slowly , I WILL BE GLAD TO GET BACK TO WORK FOR A REST

NIGEL

I bet!

Congratulations on having made such progress...

Kind regards

Andrew

• 1 month later...
Posted

Afternoon Mark

Thanks for asking !

The last couple of weeks ive taken a breather from the back garden , and ive been concentrating on the front. The main item on the agenda was uplifting and relaying the drive , as it looked a right mess { the last person who occupied the house layed the membrane then just put soil on top of this then the slabs, as you can imagine the slabs started to sink] so ive been relayed the whole lot [ 3x2 and 2 x 2 slabs]

I will be back in the back garden hopefully tomorrow or next weekend

nigel