Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Night Frosts

Lettucing Gutted

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Is it possible to get nighttime summer frosts without a Northerly?

Posted

I think its possible under an inversion with upper air not too warm, but you have to get the cooler air in somehow, and thats usually from a nrotherly in Summer?

May 28th 1961 saw low temps in Wales (borrowed from the Torro site), the chart for that day shows 0 degree 850 air and the West of the UK under a ridging Azores but influenced by HP to the North also.

Not sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
Further to this, following a late cold blast in 1962, Santon Downham in Norfolk recorded -5.6 on both the 1st and 3rd June under HP with inversion.

Says it all really, we havent had a temperature as low as that this winter let alone as a summer one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
Further to this, following a late cold blast in 1962, Santon Downham in Norfolk recorded -5.6 on both the 1st and 3rd June under HP with inversion.

Bring back the cool 1960s please! I hate this new eternal summer climate that Britain now has! :D:D:rofl:

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

Perhaps surprisingly the hot month of August 1976 had frosts in the countryside from radiation cooling on surfaces that loose heat quickly over clearing skies

Whilst the cities sweltered light frosts did occur fairly frequently in open fields.

I don't think a frost has ever been recorded in London. But I think light sleet has has been noted hundreds of years ago in London during a July night.

Northerlys during a summer month wouldn't produce frosts simply because the cold air has to travel an even further distance then in winter (when the ice-caps cover a much larger land area) and bearing in mind the days are longer and the sun is stronger.

The coldest August on the 20th century was in 1912 with a temperature of 12.9c (-2.9c) so I suspect frosts occured during that month?

Edited by Optimus Prime