Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 12

Posted

Still heavy snow here, things by the sound of people on here could be starting to turn marginal

Does anyone know if this is likely to fall as snow or rain for South Wales? Its still bitterly cold here!

Latest BBC forecast said snow "to all levels" for Wales tonight from this band.

Temperatures aren't rising here, they are falling away. Down to 0.8c now. Looks quite good.

Posted

Still snowing heavily and has been for several hours. Lets hope the lying snow will keep the temperature down. The main road out of Birmingham City Centre (Hagley Road) is down to 10mph in Quinton. The other half has decided to go back to her office after going nowhere. Hoping that it will clear and she will make it home later.

Can anyone tell me what the temperature is in Birmingham at the moment? Will it rise sufficiently to turn any showers into rain?

Thanks

Posted

We have had a few snow showers over the last few days but today it's rain showers! I hear this 'snow' band is heading to my area overnight so for you experts out there who look at all the models etc - is it likely this weather front will bring me rain/sleet considering im near the coast but taking into consideration we had snow showers and about 1cm snow cover the other day!?

Posted

Temperatures aren't rising here, they are falling away. Down to 0.8c now. Looks quite good.

Thanks Magpie. It looks like another 'dumping' from the size of that band!! Kids are safely in Nanny's house for the night. Might be fun getting to work in the morning!

Posted

Ha-ha! The forecast has gone wrong already, since the last one I saw around 8:46 am. :(

Thanks Magpie. It looks like another 'dumping' from the size of that band!! Kids are safely in Nanny's house for the night. Might be fun getting to work in the morning!

Yup, sure does. Might turn back to rain and sleet later though, especially in lowlands and on the coast. Might.

Posted
Still snowing in Kidderminster.

Roads aint been gritted, even the main A roads round the town centre (2 miles from me). So for crying out loud be careful out there.

Gradually slowing down now here, turned into a more sleety mix with the odd big flake

Started snowing at 10am and been snowing all day. Around midday it was not settling on the road then huge 50p size flakes came down then more smaller but more concentrated snow fell for approx 2 hours which began to settle even on the wet roads. By 3pm absolute bedlam on the roads - took nearly ten minutes to reel off all the roads affected on BBC Hereford and Worcester radio. Hereford has been hit bad especially the rural areas and now Worcs with people leaving work early as offices closed adding to the problems. Malvern is littered with abandoned cars apparently...

Must admit I never thought we'd get a pasting two days in a row! Enjoy it as the band moves ever northwards!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still only light occasionally moderate here, but there is a dusting now except on the roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Looking good for Northern areas later on and the GFS backs up what I thought earlier...

Rtavn124.png

Main heaviest band of precip should be over yorkshire by about midnight

Rtavn1217.png

Temps look good away from the coasts and if you have height on your side then its game on :(

Also, im not sure I agree that the 2nd band just showing up on the radar now will be all rain.

This shows the band as it hits most of Wales and Central England by 6am...

Rtavn184.png

And look at the temps

Rtavn1817.png

0c for Wales and 1-2 for the Midlands and Northern areas away from the coasts. I know the upper air temps make it extremely marginal tonight for this, but dont forget the likes of South Wales and the West Midlands got a pasting today and they had around -3 upper air over them all day, so anything is still possible at the moment.

Posted

Ok Im thick. How do I post a picky. I got it in my gallery. Do I have to host it somewhere like Photobucket or can I link from this site?

Posted

Last year, someone on here (apols - I can't remember who) made a very good analogy for circumstances like this week and today.

Due to the relative thickness of cold air - the Atlantic mild air finds it hard to shift. Rather like water trying to shift a blob of treacle on a plate.

I like that and it's easy to explain to folk in the pub when they start asking questions - and before they label you geeky :(

Posted

still snowing heavy here :( , any one no how long this will last for the west mids :(

Posted

Hi well we had snow today at about 13oo hours post-206-1171041521_thumb.jpg it must have just caught the corner of us had rain in barnstaple ...

Posted

Snowing in Sheffield (Yey)

up my end the roads are getting covered already.flakes aren't big, but it's just consistent snow which is making it settle. Doesn't feel overally cold though

Posted
Hi well we had snow today at about 13oo hours it must have just caught the corner of us had rain in barnstaple ...

I can safely say no-one forecast that!