Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted
I wouldn't be so sure. i think it could happen in the next 5 years somewhere in the UK.

...(back then snow was reliable enough in the winter for the ocassional farmer to be able put up a very basic snow tow and charged for use of a "slope" during the winter younger people may be interested to know) 3 weeks after the snowfall i had my first driving lesson and the snow was still packed high at the sides of the roads. However only a few years earlier in 1982 and 1986 we'd had similar amounts, in 1986 we had to be dug out by a JCB along with many neighbours. Whilst it was seen as "a lot" of snow, it wasn't so extreme as to expect a 20 year return period.

Such an event should be expected to come about once every 8 to 10 years by my estimation under the conditions we used to see in the 60s 70s and 80s. Even accounting for the "modern" winter, we are "overdue" ( i know some hate this terminology, but statistics are statistics) another '91 type event or perhaps even a more extreme one. The 91 event wasnt even slightly "marginal". In fact it could be argued that a more "marginal" version of the 91 type event could bring even more snow as at say 0 deg C air temps the atmosphere can hold more moisture than at -3 deg C but would likely still be snow.

Ahh memories....aint what they were!

Much to ponder in the return periods, and whilst part of me agrees I am also mindful of some of the argument in the "step change" thread over in the environment section. It's unlikely that we'll never see it again, but all the same it is not outwith the bounds of possibility: it's certianly on a much longer return period.

Re skiing in the fields, the three shaggy rope tows that I christened Val D'enholme (on the ridge between Denholme and Halifax) have not been operational since New Year 1985/6. It was crap skiing anyway - three <100m runs with a gradient of about 1:100, but huge novelty value. I sometimes think about going to see what Yad Moss and the like serve up, one of the "ski resorts of Northern England": they even have a Poma - the only one in England away from an artifical slope I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
And you very rarely get snow in the shetlands..... correct?? :cc_confused:

Not this winter anyway, my first full winter on the island and it's been the mildest on record.

Posted
It's still chucking it down here I've just been out and measured and it's 22cm ...

That's quite some microclimate judging by other reports we've seen today. The ruler didn't protrude 5cm into the hedge / earth did it?

Posted

woah now this is amazing, snowing for 3 hours now, last 30 mins getting heavier and temp is lowering and starting to settle:D, is this happening for any one who didnt get a covering today????? :cc_confused:

Posted

Hi Drew, 22cms would be just about in the brackey that I expected somewhere could see (9-12 inches of snow.)

Main attention for me is now for ice down here, ther eis still quite a bit of snow about on the grass despite a pretty decent thaw occuring, worried about the cell heading in from the west, air is warmer now but I can imagine that rain falling onto a cold surface and once past the whole freezing pretty easily to leave a really nasty slushy icy mush. still outside chance that it may fall as snow in the heavier bursts but now the front is decntly further north odds are more likely against it unless thesurface temps can really drop away.

By the way time to close I think!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Not this winter anyway, my first full winter on the island and it's been the mildest on record.

Oooooops!! :cc_confused:

Move to the snowiest part of the uk, and it doesnt snow..........!!! HEHE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looks like County Durham could be getting a spell of something soon, could just clip PP and South Durham, Teeside area but probably too far south to hit me.

post-3392-1170953742_thumb.png

Its only showing as rain on the precip type radar but with temps now dropping though surely it will turn to snow once it gets a few miles inland.

Posted

Snow now almost stopping, really good day here, 20cm + and an ice day temp never got above -1.3C.

Posted
woah now this is amazing, snowing for 3 hours now, last 30 mins getting heavier and temp is lowering and starting to settle:D, is this happening for any one who didnt get a covering today????? :cc_confused:

I'm afraid not, the Norfolk 'settling shield' held firm and even the clumps that remained after the dusting left have given up the ghost and disappeared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
Oooooops!! :cc_confused:

Move to the snowiest part of the uk, and it doesnt snow..........!!! HEHE

LOL yes I should have moved to Norway. Anyway it looks like staying cold but dry up here until the middle of next week.