IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Still light Snow very light covering not really getting any heavier

Posted
Yes, and enjoy it cos milder air will spread in across england and wales this weekend.

was it worth adding that?! It seems there are quite a few inc. young folks on this thread today who are enjoying the snow so don't bring them back down to earth with such a bump.

still quite heavy snow, must be 5+cm now, but offplaced by some quite severe drifting

Severe drifting :) Severe drifting in my mind is a wind speed 40mph plus, blown snow 10's ft into the air with near zero vis.

Will people not use terms such as blizzard /severe drifting etc unless there 100% correct. :)

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Teesdale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Settling nicely now. This is great, as yesterday it looked like I'd be right on the fringe of things and later in the day. Out for a walk now I think. Temp 0c and DP of -2 so should be good for a while yet.

Posted
Why is that its been snowing here in sheffield south yorkshire moderate to heavy for the past 1 1\2 hours and still coming down thick and fast cc_confused:

thats interesting, looks like it could touch Leeds then in the not so distant future, just need temperatures not to rise too high before it does....

Posted

Morning all :)

About 4-5cm of snow has settled here, been going at it steadily since 5.30am this morning. Forecasts suggest some heavier stuff on the way later, can anyone confirm this for me by looking at the charts and whatnot? I don't have access to NW Extra yet.

Took a few amateurish pictures from my back garden if anyone is interested:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1623/1000170re6.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9124/1000165hc0.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8507/1000171mw2.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3288/1000173or2.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snow gone very heavy again here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

So what happening with this front, is it moving North? moving South? pivoting? or just staying put?, I cant get access to any radar atm.

Posted
Another dissapointing event for me here in Norwich. Nowt. Mother Nature can be cruel to us snow lovers in Norwich!

Just seen, literally, the tiniest speck of sleet/snow but then that could have been next door sneezing... off to all parts of Norfolk now so will be able to report just what parts have seen the white stuff.

Gareth

Posted
was it worth adding that?! It seems there are quite a few inc. young folks on this thread today who are enjoying the snow so don't bring them back down to earth with such a bump.

yep agree with that.. too many people on here that just want to enjoy seeing the mild air.. including myself cause i do enjoy spring.. but at mo im loving this. been a long time coming :)

Posted

Yes your right Karl, however at least i do have snow on the ground at the minute where as a certain someone probably doesn't??

Saying that you'll probably end up getting far more then me at some point up there, well you certainly will.

Given the place i live I have seen this type of snowfall abit, even over the past 4 winters, Jan 2003 had more locally, Jan 2004 had just a touch more but its always pleasent to see snow, esp after such a mild Dec and Jan!!!

still watching a area of heavier precip to the west of London because it loosk heavy but right now a are aof slightly heavier precip from Kent working up now which is making its presence felt right now here.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Severe drifting :unknw: Severe drifting in my mind is a wind speed 40mph plus, blown snow 10's ft into the air with near zero vis.

Will people not use terms such as blizzard /severe drifting etc unless there 100% correct. :wallbash:

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Well you better tell te BBC that as what i saw them describing as a blizzard on the Brecon Beacons was a joke. These people educate the masses afterall!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I think some people are overcooking the snow amount near me, I have got 2cm at best at the moment and its been snowing for about 1 and half hours and pretty heavy at that aswell! Mackerel are you sure you have 10cm? I bet if you got a ruler out and measured it it wouldnt be 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Snowing nicely here now, trying hard to settle. Sooo good just to see it falling at last. Stephen, did you expect to get 5cm (and so soon in the day?)

I had an idea I might get something, 5cm not sure, I guess in the back of my mind I did expect it to be honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Theres a band of showers passing here, mainly to my south just light snow here.

Looks like PP could be getting a fair bit.

About 1-2cm here.

Posted
Snow gone very heavy again here!

still light here

Posted
Bromley, kent

coming down thick and fast again. 8cms. sky absolutely laden with snow

Jan

woooo agree with that.. just looked out of the window.. massive flakes falling very hard :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Another dissapointing event for me here in Norwich. Nowt. Mother Nature can be cruel to us snow lovers in Norwich!

Doesn't Norwich get snow showers when N - NE winds are blowing, whilst the rest of East Anglians have to watch the radar hoping for a rogue snow shower to creep 30/40 miles inland, which seldom happens and everywhere stays clear and dry apart from Norwich. Stop moaning, Norwich gets it's fair share. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The snow the other week was much heavier than this with a thicker covering. Only difference being that this has not melted by morning.

Now light snow with thin covering.