Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell General Discussion

shuggee

Posted

There seems to be some decent convection taking place outside here. Home grown stuff, neither imported from the North Sea or via the Cheshire Gap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Maxima (4.5C in Cleadon) still seem a little higher than I'd expect for this kind of northerly, but the minima have certainly been every bit as low as I'd normally expect; a few -7s floating around, and -2.6C here near the north-east coast of England. Thus although the SSTs are playing a role their role is probably set to be less significant than in the last cold snap, due to nearer-average temperatures in the intervening period helping the sea to cool down a touch.

Posted

I was interested lat night to see that it rained in Reigate at around 7pm - I wasn't expecting tyhat at all... was it forecast?

The car was like an icebox this morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Heres a couple of interesting charts for Thursday:

This shows the level of shear which I think intensifies the precipitation.

post-3392-1170775828_thumb.png

This shows helicity and storm motion which I don't really understand but it looks severe :whistling:

post-3392-1170775811_thumb.jpg

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
I imagine that K.W. will be 'spot on' in his reading of things. Whilst the weather milded up through the later part of the 80's we saw the last of this 'type' of snowfall.

Somewhere (south of me boo) will get a very interesting and substancial 'dump'.

By this time tomorrow it'll be time to start to watch the Radar as it slowly fizzles out and draws to a halt on it's approach to this bit of the Pennines!

HI, G.W. how are you!

Yes that's my take on things,

Where I am, I should imagine I'm going to be badly placed, as I feel i will be too far North and

East for the main band, and too far west for anything from the East coast.

It would be nice if everyone on here got something from this cold spell, but I thimk there

are going to be some dissapointed people.

By the way, did you get any thing from the last cold spell.

Brian. :whistling:

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere. The Met Office have issued this warning -

This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow. The Met Office is expecting a period of heavy snow to develop across Southwest England and much of Wales during Wednesday night and this is expected to extend across the Midlands, London, the Southeast of England and East Anglia during Thursday morning. There is also a risk that the snow will extend into parts of northern England for a time before dying away from all areas during Thursday afternoon. Accumulations of 2-5cm are expected quite widely inland, with 10-15cm possible for parts of the Midlands and Wales. Rain is more likely close to southern coasts where less cold air is expected. The period of snow could cause disruption to travel networks, especially across high level routes and the fact that timing of this event will coincide with the morning rush-hour. This warning will be updated by 1100 tomorrow, Wednesday 7th February 2007.

Valid from 11pm tomorrow to 3pm Thursday.

Edited by ronant

Posted

in at least 2 other threads and at least 2 or 3 times but never mind.

Welcome to net Wx, hope you enjoy it. Do take time to find your way around. Thre is a weather thread to cover most items, check the Front Page out for what other things are available, forecasts, Alerts, charts etc.

Could we have your home town in your avatar for when you have some 'goody' weather to report.

tks a lot

John

Posted
There seems to be some decent convection taking place outside here. Home grown stuff, neither imported from the North Sea or via the Cheshire Gap.

I've spotted that here aswell..

Posted
That's interesting i only looked to check if there were any towering clouds, looks like a few strikes aswell. Can anybody confirm?

Intersting spots guys. The skyline here this afternoon has been fascinating ;

1. medium level frontal cloud to the S/SW from the weak front affecting Somerset/Devon/Cornwall.

2. A clear slot extending from the NW to the SE horizons.

3. TCu and, dare I say, CBs have built to the far N/NE horizon.

Kold/Nick Sussex or other expert ; do you think it's worth me highlighting this snow risk for Weds night/Thursday on my town forum. We have a number of members who have children!

Posted

Yes, the models can't determine how far north this front will go, so I think it will be over to radar watching from Early Thursday morning onwards. Not sure when/if it will hit my area. I'm on a late at work, so I don't know if I should take the car, or get the bus.

Posted

Interestingly enough there is a reasonable sized snow shower to my northeast now showing on the radar, can see the cloud from here as well, fairly high convection going on..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
I've spotted that here aswell..

Yes, I observed cumulus mediocris and signs of the congestus stage to my north :whistling: Nothing now, but temp is dropping away. Current reading, 1.1C

Edited by Supercell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Some HUGE towers poppinbg up round here.. Quite odd was a really foggy morning.

Posted
Yes, I observed cumulus mediocris and signs of the congestus stage to my north :D Nothing now, but temp is dropping away. Current reading, 1.1C

I've got cumulus sodallus, here.

Posted
I've got cumulus sodallus, here.

They sound very similar to the Cumulus Invisibulus that I cannot see here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Heres a quick map of how I think Thursday could turn out:

post-3392-1170779028_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, I just used some charts, forecasts and a bit of guessing so any feedback is appeciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

yes! we had snow here over night and this morning and the odd flurry now!

The Midlands is the worst affected area for disruption on thursday! 70%! :D:D:cold:8)

Oh yeah and we could get some of the most snow!

This sounds like the best snow event ive ever seen yet in my life!

I'm no expert, I just used some charts, forecasts and a bit of guessing so any feedback is appeciated.

I quite agree with that!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

I think you missed the downs in kent mate...... the peaks will prob get their usual 10-15cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I just thought I'd let you know that my local BBC forecast said I could see 13-15 cm in my area and my local ITV forecast seems to think I could see 15-17 cm :D

Yes north parts of the South west and the whole of the Midlands looks the best for the Most snow along with some parts of Ireland (Not N.Ireland!)

Posted

Was that on ceefax? Tv?

My mums near Taunton on the mendips, bet she gets a bit up there......

I just thought I'd let you know that my local BBC forecast said I could see 13-15 cm in my area and my local ITV forecast seems to think I could see 15-17 cm :D

Posted

They are pulling your leg.

Looks like it'll melt by the early evening.

Posted

looks fine to me :cold::D

Posted
looks fine to me :cold::D

yep it does! We have 70% Risk of disruption on thursday and us midlanders are the worst affected! They said snow on thursday and possibly friday and saturday before turning to rain later on saturday!