Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Costa Del Fal

Worst Weather Event you Have Experienced?

I dont remember the year however in the 90s sometime and I was walking to school after my lunchbreak, Weather was calm and Sunny then the sky went black within minutes, winds were the strongest Ive experienced in my life, and the hail and rain was so hard, it cleared and calmed down after only around 10 mins. We were sent home as everyone was drenched. If only I knew the date.!

Definitely February 2003.

Snow hit north London around lunch-time on a Thursday afternoon. By mid-evening there was six inches and driving snow in a strong wind. I decided to take a short-cut home from sixth-form through a park in Hendon, the snow was so bad it was virtually a whiteout and I lost my bearings completely, couldn't make out paths or grass from the snow. Eventually found the exit but it left me pondering how easy it is to get disorientated in snow. To this day I've never seen more intense snow, really was incredible.

For me the worst weather experience was being caught out in a nasty thunderstorm. I had travelled a couple of train stops to an evening doctor's appointment and whilst in the waiting room heard the rumbles of thunder approaching. It had been one of those humid summer days with thunder in the offing. As is often the case, my appointment was running late, and I sat and sat whilst other patients shuffled in and out, meanwhile the storm was getting closer and closer. I thought perhaps it would pass by before I'd been seen. Eventually I was the last person to be called into the surgery. After being seen I came out and the surgery was preparing to close up. The storm by now was almost overhead. I dreaded having to walk to the station, which was about a quarter of a mile away. I don't like thunderstorms at the best of times and if I'd had any chance of doing so I'd have loitered in the doctor's till it had passed, but as they were closing up I had no choice but to go out.

Emerging from the surgery I cowered and jogged my way towards the train station, feeling terrified, the lightning now pretty much too close for comfort as the storm reached its peak. I got to the station and... unfortunately had to cross the tracks to get to the right platform, and that entailed going up an open flight of metal steps, across a metal bridge, then down to the other platform! I really couldn't imagine anything I'd less like to do at that point. I waited near the bottom of the steps until there was a bright flash of lightning followed by a crack of thunder, and immediately ran up the stairs, over the top and down the other side, sheltering under a perspex seating area that was still open to the front. I cowered in the corner as the storm raged and I had to wait 20 minutes for my return train to show up! I'll never forget that experience. :shok:

I've not really experience much, but the Heavy Rainfall of July 2009 over here was mad! I had a tennis match during it, and 5 minutes in, my shorts and top were totally drenched, the tennis balls had shrunk and softened, and it was like a Rainy version of a Whiteout, couldn't see a thing. Luckily in North Durham, we don't get flooded much (or at all), but the River levels had hit the top of the bank round here, and parts of it was spilling onto the nearby lanes. Luckily the rain stopped then...

Best event has to be July 2006, aw lovely!

See my post 26 th december 1998, that was the worst

The winter of 1981/82 seconed, minus 20+ for days/weeks, i live on a farm,

they had to bring 1000 gallon plastic bags for the milk as tankers could not get here.

milking cows was a nightmare, things froze so fast

January 2005, the storm that flooded carlisle, not as bad as the '98 one though.

Will never forget a thunder storm that passed over on dec31st 1974/ 1st jan 1975, a real banger, woke everybody up.

And that wiered summer of 2007, one day i saw a literal wall of water, it came towards me, a few yards from me it went in another direction

i looked up and saw clouds, black nasty ones going across each other, it looked like water spouts was about to happen, it diddent

but not good anyway, and in march/april that year i was wallpapering for a friend and saw hail stones the size of tennis balls

The worst weather I can recall goes back to 1957,returning home from RAF Stafford on what had been a reasonable day,as I approached Ripon the rain started and got heavier and heavier,I drove the car onto the A1 and within minutes the road became a river and it was impossible to drive-every car jusy pulled into the edge and the torrential rain lasted for some time,however once it stopped the road became passable again fairly rapidly.

It was 2004 I cant remember which month exactly however it was during one of the later Autumn storms, getting caught out whilst on a Bird-Hunt for a elusive Grey Shrike in a town nearby. The first clue should have been when there was no sign of the Shrike whatsoever, the winds had picked up and I was finding it increasingly difficult to balance in the gusts.

The walk back to the station was even more precarious, the station being on a exposed hillside surrounded by a small forest. Small twigs and branches began breaking off in the Autumn foliage and having to side-step this. Awaiting the train I boarded and waited, and waited, and waited. Then came on the tannoy that a tree had fallen on the line and we'd be somewhat delayed. Not too much of a problem we all thought.

So 25 minutes later we began to move along the tracks, again this stretch of line is along a embankment exposed to straightline winds, and my main concern was the gradual rocking motion of the train from the wind. I thought at any second it was going to go over, and rearranged myself into a better seat accordingly. We then came to a halt where workmen were clearing the line, unfortunately either side of us was tree's towering overhead. Some bending so the kinetic energy from the wind was being dispersed, but the stronger tree's were dangerously close to breaking over the carriages. It literally was white-knuckles for those 20 minutes while the workmen were rushing to clear the line. I've never been more relieved before we finally got moving again and out of that area. Hearing on the radio when I got home, the line was blocked again from fallen tree's in that exact place.