Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst Weather Event you Have Experienced?

Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Amazing stories from everyone! Keep them coming!

Posted

The scariest ever for me was in Jan '88. I was at work and the winds were howling and debris was being thrown everywhere. We watched the whole roof of the Eddie Stobbart warehouse lift off and fly towards a local housing estate! A collegue and I were sat at our desks and the internal wall behind us was of brick and behind that was a store cupboard. Suddenly, there was an almightly crash, we both leapfrogged our desks with lightning speed and stood looking at the wall with a great deal of confusion. It seemed fine. However, when we plucked up the courage to look in the store cupboard, it was no longer there! The roof and a very large part of the wall had gone. We were sent home about 1/2 an hour later and my boss kindly told me to get in my car and drive out of the car park very quickly as the brick facing which held the company sign was swaying somewhat and my car was parked beneath it! Part of it did fall down about 20 mins later apparently. Scary day that one, and although I love extreme weather, (thunderstorms in particular), that experience is not one I would care to repeat.

Posted

Most of mine have been from the Mid West of the USA, But have had a few scary moments in the Uk.

May 2006 when we chased a Supercell that had 17 Mesos on it, we had to duck South very very quickly as the Storm turned and chased us, we were heading South West on the GPS & About a Mile in front of us we could see a South Road that would be our last escape route, if we would have stayed on a West Course we would have been eaten alive by 4" Hailstones. So we made the South Road and the road was okay for about a Mile, but suddenly we encountered traffic (Rare in Deepest Texas) damn workmen were repairing a single lane bridge, all we could see in our rear view mirrors was hell on earth chasing us down, then the Tornado warnings started coming over the weather radio, sitting in a piece of metal with no way forward or no way back with a Storm that had already produced one F2 Tornado is not nice, thankfully the lights went green and we made it to the next town, and managed to keep the car under a Car port so the Hailstones wouldnt damage the hire car, we had Tornado alerts for most of the night.

This from 2005

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=16477# - See Post 6

Paul Sherman

Guest Viking141

Without a doubt - the snowstorm of December 1995. Im a snow lover but what we got between 23rd-26th Dec 95 was a bit much even for me. In Lerwick we had 6 feet of lying snow, with drifts twice that and in some rural areas of Shetland the drifts were 30 feet deep! Many rural areas were cut off for over a week and a state of emergency was declared by the Shetland Islands Council. The Coastguard Rescue Helicopter - Oscar Charlie, was used to ferry feed to livestock stranded in the snow and the only way to get supplies to some communities was by sea from Lerwick and Scalloway. In Lerwick the electric was only off for about 12 hours on Christmas Eve but in some rural areas it was off for over a week. Folk had to resort to taking their meat out of their freezers and sticking it in the snow outside to keep it from thawing out! All the roads were completely blocked for days, even in Lerwick the only way to get around was by 4x4. Probably a "once in a lifetime" event which is just as well as the havoc it caused was just helliDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I think it has to be the freezing rain event in i think 1996 (might have been 97), the ground was treacherous and sliding was next to impossible. I was worried for my car which was parked in the road not far from a bend in the road, just waiting for someone to slide sideways into it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

If you mean worst as in most severe then the storm of 27th October 2002 is the worst I have experienced. I could not stand up in the winds and the rain caused widespread flooding here. A weather event I will never forget!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I think it has to be the freezing rain event in i think 1996 (might have been 97), the ground was treacherous and sliding was next to impossible. I was worried for my car which was parked in the road not far from a bend in the road, just waiting for someone to slide sideways into it.

Was it ok in the end?

:mellow:

Posted

Im off for tonight now but ill be back tomorrow to go through your experiences!

Posted

Anymore experiences?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
Was it ok in the end?

;)

Yep fine in the end -after a few close calls.....but i dont leave my car park off a driveway if its possible that we might have freezing rain again.

Posted

February 1999 - Arlberg region in the Austrian Alps

My party were headed for St Anton but never made it as the whole region was cut off by massive snowfalls, drifts and avalanches. Over 60cm of snow fell that night (23rd) and nearly three metres had fallen in a few short weeks.

Galtur in the next valley had suffered an avalance which had buried a hotel causing scores of fatalities.

We were diverted to a hotel in Ischgl overlooking the fated valley and watched the rescue operation in the distance, with helicopters flying in and out of Galtur as the only workable method of rescue and access. The snow was so deep, drifting had built snow to half way up the balconies on windward rooms on the first floor of our surrogate hotel. Other guests did not realise they were actually living on the first floor and panic set in when a chap (probably drunk) stepped off his balcony and disappeared in the snow. Frantic digging by hotel staff saved the day and he was taken to hospital, cold and shaken and lucky to be alive.

The night we arrived, a section of the St Anton road tunnel collapsed under the weight of snow and sealed the valley for several days. Essentially we were trapped until the transport links could be established again about five days later.

The locals were in a state of shock but did their utmost to make the best of a tragic situation.

Until then snow was harmeless and something to be excited about - it's now treated with the greatest respect.

ffO.

Posted

Wow that must of been scary!

Posted

When we had the severe gales here in december, it was the worst wind i have ever experienced!

Posted

I had a dodgy biryani once.....

Actually, January 2005 when Carlisle flooded...that was awful. 130mm of rain in 36 hours, howling wind, no power for three days and half the village under water. Not nice.

Posted
I too had bad wind in December.

Well seen as were only a few miles apart im not surprised! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Stranded on top of Loft Crag in the Langdale Valley in a total whiteout blizzard....all alone..... (brilliant) Ok not on an Alpine scale but it was a loooonnnggg 25-30 mins...! :bad: Got a decent "buzz" to say the least... :)

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted
  • Location: Brue 30m amsl, West Coast, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides
  • Location: Brue 30m amsl, West Coast, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides

On 11 January 2005 we had the worst overnight winter storm in living memory with sustained wind speeds for over 8 hours of over 70 mph with a maximum gust recorded of 146 mph.

There was widespread severe damge to property and loss of life and a severe tidal storm surge along the west coast of the Hebrides with 50 up to metres of the Machair washed away in places.

Posted
Blizzards, you don't have to reply to every comment made in threads. All it does is lengthen the thread. Could you cut back on the comments please, or save a comment for once every few days and do them all in one post. It really does save space :)

yes ok! :):)

Posted

The worst bad weather i have ever experienced was in january 2005 11th in the morning it was windy but when the time reached 12pm the winds got stronger and all the 3 schools and all the 12 shops on the island closed and when i got home i got the video camera out and started filming and by the evening the wind was really strong the floor in the house was shaking and so were the walls and the windows as well and at 6.30pm the power went off later we heard a big bang on the roof and our toilet had no water in it the wind sucked it all out and was making noises and later we heard a bang next door which was a school but as the night went on the winds got stronger and calmed down by the morning we had a 16 hour power cut we lost a few tiles off our roof and the school window smashed the winds also smashed cars windows and damaged the pier and blew away someones conservatorie the wind speed was over 120mph or some say over 130mph or 140mph.

Posted

Once i sort of experienced a sort of bad snow event when alot of the cars were struggling to get up the road!

Posted

One of my worst snow events for me had to be friday! Worst snow in years here!