Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Best winter event for you since the turn of the century

Posted

Ok, so this thread is for the best snow event for you that has taken place this 21st century. I know there hasn't been many but it would be nice to hear what was the most memorable/best snow event since 1st Jan 2000.

Here are a few of my favourites:

1. Dec 28th 2000 snow event

2. Jan 28th 2004 thundersnow event

3. Mar 12th 2006 cold/mild battle snow event

Go ahead, what was our favourite??

Posted

1. Feb 28th 2006 afternoon snow (birthday snow!).

2. Jan 28th 2004 Thundersnow.

Also thinking of a few overnight troughs that gave quick 1 or 2 inch falls around Christmastime, not sure if they were late 90s or early 00s as didn't keep records back then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The recent big storm of 2007 will take some beating. :)

As for snow we have had only a few light dusting's here since 95. 2-3in(5-8cm) max. :););)

In 95 around 8-10in(20-25cm) fell more or less island-wide but that's off the period you asked.

The best winter event i have ever seen anywhere b/w was last year in Japan, and that was on TV ;)

Russ

Posted
1. Feb 28th 2006 afternoon snow (birthday snow!).

2. Jan 28th 2004 Thundersnow.

Also thinking of a few overnight troughs that gave quick 1 or 2 inch falls around Christmastime, not sure if they were late 90s or early 00s as didn't keep records back then.

Yes Andy, I think there was a Christmas fall in 2001, Mr Data should be able to clarify. Christmas 2004 saw many have a white christmas also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Think for me it it was Xmas eve 1995, a polar low bringing fierce winds, heavy snow, ball lightning etc. The ferocity of the storm took most by surprise, and to see such a blizzard in the halogen lights was spectacular. We had friends round that evening, and they had to abandon their car in our drive with 4' drifts all the way to the main road. Some of the more exposed routes had huge drifts that took several days for snowblowers to clear. Our friends car was eventually dug out by their son on a tractor 3 days later! The event was followed by showers for several days, then very frosty for another few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

By "turn of the century" it means from 2000 onwards (I think, anyway)- most of us can remember more significant snow events from the 1990s than anything that's happened since (e.g. Feb '91 in the south, and a fair number of them in the north)

I think my favourites would have to be, in order:

1. 26-30 December 2000 northerly spell, with thundersnow overnight 28th/29th, 7cm snow

2. 1-4 March 2001 NE'ly spell; 8cm snow on the 2nd, min of -10.2C overnight 2nd/3rd

3. 27-30 December 2005 easterly spell

Other cold snaps that deserve a mention are the thundery wintry showers of 8-9 November 2001, the snowfalls of 22-23 December 2001, the thundersnow event on 22 December 2003 during my Christmas holidays in Cleadon, and the bright snowy start to March 2006.

I reckon that had I been in Cleadon during winter 2003/04, the 28th of both January and February would have been close contenders, and had I been in Lancaster on Christmas Day 2004 it would certainly have made the top three, but I was in the wrong place at the wrong time on all three occasions.

Posted
Think for me it it was Xmas eve 1995, a polar low bringing fierce winds, heavy snow, ball lightning etc. The ferocity of the storm took most by surprise, and to see such a blizzard in the halogen lights was spectacular. We had friends round that evening, and they had to abandon their car in our drive with 4' drifts all the way to the main road. Some of the more exposed routes had huge drifts that took several days for snowblowers to clear. Our friends car was eventually dug out by their son on a tractor 3 days later! The event was followed by showers for several days, then very frosty for another few days.

Well, Aberdeen does tend to do very well out of northerlies however these days it is very diffucult to produce a major widespread snow event with northerlies. Only one recently was Jan 28th 2004. I remember last February and March, Aberdeen doing extremely well with snow. Also in recent times bar 12th March 06, it has been genuinely difficult to produce a major snow event out of mild/cold battles.

Posted
By "turn of the century" it means from 2000 onwards (I think, anyway)- most of us can remember more significant snow events from the 1990s than anything that's happened since (e.g. Feb '91 in the south, and a fair number of them in the north)

I think my favourites would have to be, in order:

1. 26-30 December 2000 northerly spell, with thundersnow overnight 28th/29th, 7cm snow

2. 1-4 March 2001 NE'ly spell; 8cm snow on the 2nd, min of -10.2C overnight 2nd/3rd

3. 27-30 December 2005 easterly spell

Other cold snaps that deserve a mention are the thundery wintry showers of 8-9 November 2001, the snowfalls of 22-23 December 2001, the thundersnow event on 22 December 2003 during my Christmas holidays in Cleadon, and the bright snowy start to March 2006.

I reckon that had I been in Cleadon during winter 2003/04, the 28th of both January and February would have been close contenders, and had I been in Lancaster on Christmas Day 2004 it would certainly have made the top three, but I was in the wrong place at the wrong time on all three occasions.

Hi TWS, Eastern areas did do very well in the 27-30 easterly spell. However it was a bit of a damp squib in the midlands in terms of snow but temperature wise it was far better than the Feb 05 easterly with -3C being my max for the 29th. Though, I did expect more though from the breakdown event after this easterly, however this failed to produce apart from the NE.

TWS, you mustve done well out of the breakdown of the dec 05 easterly spell???

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

1. January 11th 2001 - Nearly 30cm of snow. Frontal snowfall 0200-0900 heavy

2. December 31st 2000 (the previous NY's eve!) - 20cm. Frontal snowfall 1500-2100 heavy then turned to rain.

After two magnificent snow events in only a fortnight, it has been rather poor since. The best event since was the January 2004 thundersnow event with around 10-15cm after two troughs. Other notable events include Dec 2005 E'ly for the excitement factor, March 2006 frontal event, though not living up to expectations, and Feb-March 2006 generally for excellent wintry weather - numerous ice days and often with some settling snow.

Posted

Well, in terms of winter events, 2000-01 wasn't bad nor was 2003-04. February-March 2005 did have the potential there for something very special however it was not to be. Saying, that 50cm was recorded in that February at Boltsthorpe Park.

Posted

Erm... last March. Two and a half inches of snow over night... had all melted by the next evening though.

Last winter was a good winter actually.

We also had snow on Christmas Night 2004. (I think. Possibly 2003.)

Posted

I have to desist. I haven't seen any proper snow this century in this country.

I was all ready to post about my memories of 1978/9 when I saw that it was only this century. Shame! I bet there are some great memories of real snow from the golden days on this forum. I remember having to get up on my birthday in February 1979 to do some punishment (public school and all that - Uppingham). The snow was swirling and drifting around my legs, and just looked amazing. It was so deep in places. Quite incredible.

Sigh. It makes me so sad to think little WIB may never see this here. Feel like crying, and I'm not kidding. May have to take him or her to Canada.

Posted
Sigh. It makes me so sad to think little WIB may never see this here. Feel like crying, and I'm not kidding. May have to take him or her to Canada.

It's what we did... although Immigration gave us a bit of a funny look... 'reason for visit... snow'!

Edited by Lady Penelope

Posted
It's what we did... although Immigration gave us a bit of a funny look... 'reason for visit... snow'!

Great idea Lady P! Where did you go?

We've been to Lake Louise a couple of times. Seeing banks of snow 10 foot deep or more is the real deal! So beautiful!

(Mrs WIB is getting awful MS ... sorry off topic but thought you'd like to know!)

Posted
Great idea Lady P! Where did you go?

We've been to Lake Louise a couple of times. Seeing banks of snow 10 foot deep or more is the real deal! So beautiful!

(Mrs WIB is getting awful MS ... sorry off topic but thought you'd like to know!)

Nova Scotia (2004). Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (2005)... Actually, the deepest snow I have seen in this century was February 2004, Halifax, NS. They'd had three blizzards in the week before we arrived, and the snow was 10ft deep in places in the middle of the city. The best falling snow I've seen was last February, in Annapolis Royal, NS.

Once I've got my slipped disc sorted, we'll be going back... but perhaps a little further west next time. I just can't face a 10 hour flight at the moment. And walking is right out!

Poor Mrs Wib, she is indeed in my thoughts... I found Rich Tea biscuits very effective with Youngest. With Eldest the only thing that seemed to work was carrying a bowl around with me constantly! It's supposed to be a sign of a good strong pregnancy though... :nonono:

Posted

Thanks Lady P - and will pass on the advice to Mrs WIB. She's ok so far this morning, but the night before was throwing up all night.

I didn't know about your slipped disc. That's horrible. Poor you.

Are Nova Scotia and New Brunswick beautiful? We love the Rockies, but would love to try the east coast. We watched the Shipping News and it looked a tad barren and bleak, but I'm sure it's not really?!

Sorry that this is going off topic folks ... but it is sort-of about snowfall. Canada is a great option if you want to see the real thing these days. And the east coast is, what, 6 or 7 hours flight Lady P?

WIB

Edited by West is Best

Posted

*Trying desperately to keep on topic!*

This is the snow in our garden last March... post-2121-1169890300_thumb.jpg

And this is a lake somewhere in New Brunswick last February... post-2121-1169890428_thumb.jpg

Nova Scotia is indeed a 6/7 hour flight away WIB and well worth a visit. :nonono:

Posted

I understand the concept of the topic, and in fairness there are probably some areas of Britain where a decent snow event can be reported from this century, such as Scotland or the South West, but here in Rotherham it has been pathetic. Therefore I would say late November 2005, not because there was snow but because there was a least a really good cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Jan 28th 2004 (Thundersnow). I had a three inches in just over half an hour. The largest snow flakes I have ever seen. Thundersnow was a complete surprise, a mythical event. Unfortunately, this is the only decent snowfall I can remember.

Posted

Well this Century is hard to pick re Snowfall, again if it was last centruy then 79,81,84,87,91 were pretty special, most of those had drifts up to 10 feet high here in Essex. But January 8th 2003 was pretty good and unforecasted, 12 " of the white stuff lay around for about 5 days before the Atlantic steamed in again, Thunderstorm wise again most of the crackers I remember were 1992 in the South East and the day darkness on the 5th or 6th August in the 80's, again Storms just do not seem what they used to, but have seen over 15 Supercells this century the other side of the pond, so does that count :) If i was to list in my 34 years on this planet, as follows

15 Supercells

3 Tornadoes

5 Amazing Snow Events (All last century)

3 Amazing T-Storms in the Uk (All last Century)

2 Incredible Storms 1987 & 1990

Regards

Paul Sherman

Top 4 Events

Christmas Day 2001 into Boxing Day, 4 inches of snow, which didn't thaw at all on Boxing Day, but did very quickly on the 27th.

26th February 2004, another 4-5 inches of snow, unfortunately rapidly thawed in the afternon sun.

25th November 2005, 4-5 inches of snow which didn't completely thaw for 5 days.

Finally 1st March 2006, about 3 inches of snow which lasted about 4-5 days.

Note nothing from this winter, so far. :)

Posted

I think the Jan 2003 snowfall which was fun for a couple of days (I am guessing late Jan, can't place the exact date), and the Jan 28th 2004 for the amount of snow and chaos in a short period.

For seasonality the Dec 05 easterly which really made the festive period festive.

Posted

For snowfall 12th March 2006 is way out in front, with more than twice as much as the next biggest fall this century.

For a lasting cold snap, I'll go for one that hardly gets a mention: late Dec 2001-early Jan 2002. Here snow fell on the afternoon of Dec 30th and despite only being 2cm it stayed until Jan 5th. In this spell 4 days failed to rise above freezing and temps went down to -10 at night. Much of December had been frosty, from about the 20th onwards few days got above about 3C and there was a dusting on the 23rd and a few snow showers on Boxing Day. This was better than Dec 2000 because that one only gave the same amount of snow, and did not last as long.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
For snowfall 12th March 2006 is way out in front, with more than twice as much as the next biggest fall this century.

For a lasting cold snap, I'll go for one that hardly gets a mention: late Dec 2001-early Jan 2002. Here snow fell on the afternoon of Dec 30th and despite only being 2cm it stayed until Jan 5th. In this spell 4 days failed to rise above freezing and temps went down to -10 at night. Much of December had been frosty, from about the 20th onwards few days got above about 3C and there was a dusting on the 23rd and a few snow showers on Boxing Day. This was better than Dec 2000 because that one only gave the same amount of snow, and did not last as long.

Come to think of it, it was a decent one in Cleadon as well; there was 4cm lying here late on the 30th, and I went sledging on Cleadon Hills on the 31st. I recall a partial thaw on the 1st as temps climbed to 4C, but then an ice day on the 2nd, and the 1st-3rd January 2002 all had more than half-cover of snow. I went out to the "sticks" at New Year and the scenery, with the snow cover and the sunshine, was magical. Indeed, I think that's the only significant lasting snow event that I omitted to mention.

I don't remember much coming out of the December 2005 easterly breakdown; a couple of hours of wet snow that added about 1cm cover, then it thawed away. Most of the North East's snow happened on the 28th.