[attachm

ent=31188:05062006_020_.jpg]

may best winter avant was last year at the grosglockglacier 5th june 2006

post-5438-1170018668_thumb.jpg

post-5438-1170018690_thumb.jpg

Edited by BARRY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

gotta say diddly since the turn of the century...all winters have been either mild or fairly non descript and very forgetable!

Posted

For the southeast of England, North Kent

1) March 4th 2005. 8 inches of snow in 8 hours

2) January 2004. 2 inches of snow in an hour, great frontal snow

3) The hottest day on August 10th 2003

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I think for me it has to be the thundersnow for the sheer heavyness of the snow and how well it settled and then froze over and caused chaos a few hours later when it got dark! In terms of overall snowfall and how long it stayed on the ground I would have to say the end of December 2000 when I saw around 3-4 inches of snow that stayed for about 4 days :)

In terms of best event though, yes it would have to be the thundersnow and I haven't seen thundersnow before it or after it. The way the snow came down and settled too was amazing! It was raining mostly all day and the ground was soaked then it started to rain pretty heavy when the band of thundersnow reached me but then it quickly turned into a full scale blizzard and dumped about 3 inches on us in the space of an hour and a half, had no trouble settling on wet ground at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

February 2005 by some distance -

And it stayed cold for a while - this was about five days later

Top 4 Events

Note nothing from this winter, so far. :)

Feb 9th 2007, Rain to heavy snow event, giving locally the heaviest snow since 1991, with around 7 inches on the grass, and a blanket covering on all surfaces.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

1) Last thursday and Friday!

2) Snow on Christmas day in 2004!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

The only one close enough to our last biggie in Jan 1995 was New Years Eve 2003.

Where, in Crossgates, we got about 3-4 inches which settled everywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

11-12th March 2006 of course

Photo-0036.jpg

Posted

In Brighton,the polar low snowfall in December 1967. Also heavy falls in Jan 1985 And early Feb

post-3110-1171221597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hillian

Posted

well it has to be last yr when the SW got hit in total white out only lasted a day but thats the best we have had down here since 2000.... but the realy great one was 1977/8 (i know i know New cen) but we havent had any sob sob and i felt left out sniffff sniff

lolkaz xx

Posted

Well since 2000 the best winter events for me have been

January 8th 2003 - 2 inches snow (most since February 1994)

January 30th 2003 - Heavy drifting snow in the afternoon giving 2-3 inches.

January 28th 2004 - Famous thundersnow event.

February/March 2005 - Not much lying snow but a prolonged cold spell lasting well into March.

February 8th 2007 - Probably the most snow since February 1991.

Don :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

gotta be the white Xmas of 2004, not that much snow around 2-3cms but a completely white covering great timing!

www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120041225.gif :wallbash:

the snow event last thurs cold v mild was also very good

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Since every winter and autumn month since February 1997 has been a disappointment to me this was a hard choice so here a few mini winter highlights in this disappointing new millennium British climate from top to bottom:-

1. December 2001. At 3.6C C.E.T slightly below average and the coolest since 1996 and the last December to be below the 1960-1991 C.E.T of 4.3C.

2. January 2001. At 3.2C C.E.T average temperatures and the 'coolest' since 1997 and the last January to not exceed the 1960-1991 C.E.T of 3.2C.

3. Post Boxing Day snowfall in December 2000. This was the first and only time this millennium that there has been more than 1 day of lying snow in Kirkham, Preston.

4. 28th January 2004. Eventhough Kirkham, Preston missed the thundersnow event we still managed our one and only wintry cold wave that January which was a 'bonus' to me in that mild muck month.

5. Christmas Day 2004. The first white Christmas Day in Kirkham since Christmas Day 1995. This exceptionally short 36 hour Northwesterly toppler event just about saved December 2004 from being utter rubbish...

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

For me, it is easily December 31st 2003, massive snowflakes settling on everything, this produced around four inches in six hours for my location.

Rrea00120040101.gif

I also remeber a snow event from 2000 or 2001 which was bigger, though i cannot remember the date.

After that, it was 25th February 2005, producing four inches in my location.

Rrea00120050225.gif

Posted

Very wet year of 2000. The great, hot and fairly long summer of 2003. The January snow of 2003. October gale of 2002. I remember the very warm end to March 2004. The spring heatwaves of 2003. The frequent snow showers of February 2005. The very cold, foggy and frosty end to November 2005. Warm Autumn off 2005. Exceptionaly warm July of 2006. Remarkably warm Aututm and the ice days of December 2006.

And of course the snow in January.

• 4 years later...
Posted

After the last three winters, it would be interesting to hear what people's opinions are now.

For me, it was the night of the 4th/5th January 2010. Heavy snow showers pushing in from the Irish Sea resulting in the most widespread snow disruption for the Greater Manchester area for years.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Since my 2007 post... For snow it is easily 18th December 2010. 20cm of snow in 6 hours. Absolute chaos on the roads, everything shut down early leaving a peaceful evening with the Christmas lights twinkling through the snow. Couldnt have been a more perfect timing!

For storms 28th July 2008 takes the claim with 6 houts of Thunderstorms. The Worst was 6pm to 9pm with intense rain and overhead Thunder and Lightning. High based lightning continued well into the early hours! :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

For me it's definitely last winter from around november the 27th to december the 3rd.Lots and lots of snow bringing the totals up to 18 inches.Showers blowing inland off the north sea and intensifying right over my area.Temps as low as -15c and even at xmas there was snow left on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

1-2 Dec 2010, 18 Dec 2010, 22 Dec 2010, snow in Dec always extra special for xmas, last 2 Xmas days ive had snow on ground

25 Dec 04 was also great, only northerly toppler, not much snow but great timimg,

5th Jan 10, was okay but bloody stockport had 18 inches, i only had 3

Posted

I'd have to say February 2009. The first snow came on Sunday 1st, in the form of scattered heavy snow showers, which by the evening became much more frequent. It gave a good 6-8 inches by midday on the 2nd. Then a very marginal snow event gave 6 inches on the 5th, with the rain-snow line only about 20 miles to my south. The next day on the 6th, a further 4 inches fell.

Three other decent "snow events" that have occurred since the turn of the century have been on 30th January 2003, 28th December 2000 and 17th December 2009.

Edited by Ben_Cambs