Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 1962-63

Weather-history

Posted
16 hours ago, Weather-history said:

You could argue 1978-79 was worse in one way to 1962-63 because  there was more low pressure involved and the changes were more disruptive. I wasn't around in 1962-63 but did people begin to adapt more to the conditions later in that  winter? That would have been difficult in a winter where there were regular breaks in the cold pattern, if even short lived. 

We certainly adapted later in the winter of 1962/3, we had to, but bear in mind the lack of central heating in 1963 compared to 1979, hence the 'smog' of early Dec 1962. I recall sledging down a road hill in S London / Surrey for several weeks in Jan 1963, quite unhindered by traffic, and our activities were only stopped after the bin lorry eventually made it around for collections, 3-4 weeks after the last collection, and we were shooed away. Again I couldn't see that being acceptable nowadays. Food shortages, lack of heating fuel and power cuts, we had them all in leafy Surrey in early 1963. However the schools stayed open throughout, something which I don't think would happen in a similar winter now!   

• Like 2

Posted
On 07/09/2021 at 09:08, A Face like Thunder said:

We certainly adapted later in the winter of 1962/3, we had to, but bear in mind the lack of central heating in 1963 compared to 1979, hence the 'smog' of early Dec 1962. I recall sledging down a road hill in S London / Surrey for several weeks in Jan 1963, quite unhindered by traffic, and our activities were only stopped after the bin lorry eventually made it around for collections, 3-4 weeks after the last collection, and we were shooed away. Again I couldn't see that being acceptable nowadays. Food shortages, lack of heating fuel and power cuts, we had them all in leafy Surrey in early 1963. However the schools stayed open throughout, something which I don't think would happen in a similar winter now!   

We in the North East of England certainly did not get the severity of the snowfalls nor the extreme low temperatures. just a continuous top up of around 12 cams of snow, whereas the winter of 78-79 had large falls causing road chaos and occasional big dips in both miniature and maxima. 
Can it happen again I hope so but with the Azores high taking a position much further North that in those far l

flung days I reallly doubt it.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

This picture was taken in the Cheshire village of Alderley Edge which was close to where I lived as a young kid during the great freeze. On the farm , my dad used to deliver me to the school bus stop  on his tractor across the fields as the lanes were full of deep snow drifts for weeks on end.

C

87489295_10212987692246529_1853832194192048128_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
Posted

Some nostalgia from the big freeze of 1963 in the East Riding.

1. Hull bus stuck on the top of Arras Hill ,near Market Weighton.

2. The frozen River Hull near Beverley.

3. Ice flows on the Humber ( Victoria Ferry Pier, Hull )

C

0_Hulls-1963-Big-Freeze-when-temperatures-dropped-to-20-and-the-Humber-completely-froze-over.jpg

0_JS226934213.jpg

1_A-chilly-welcome-for-the-Humber-Ferry-Tattershall-Castle-as-she-breaks-through-the-ice-to-approach-the-frozen-Victoria.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

First picture taken in Feb 63 is on the Colne to Haworth Road  over Trawden Moors,

Second  picture from Overburn near Burnley.

C

16542045.jpg

16542051.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Out of interest can anyone tell me what winter 62/63 was like across the pond in America?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The big freeze of 1962/63. Birmingham England.
(Not my photo)

273033934_3073143476291118_1660171116745233454_n.jpg

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Sixty years ago today saw the start of the coldest winter of the twentieth century, with the severe weather and snow lasting for 10 weeks without a meaningful break (P Eden). Here is what it would have looked like in Surrey on the morning of 27th December 1962, a morning which I remember well. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Remarkable picture of a frozen waterfall taken 60 years ago in Wales. January 63 , the month even the sea frozen in parts of the kingdom. Will we ever see its like of again !

C

Could contain: Ice, Outdoors, Person, Nature, Man, Adult, Male, Dog, Photography, Winter

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The Winterwatch 1963: The Big Freeze programme is being repeated on Monday at 8pm on BBC4, which is unsurprising in view of the 60th anniversary this year. Well worth a watch if you've not already seen it. Followed at 9pm by Killer Storms and Cruel Winters: The History of Extreme Weather: Timewatch, so an evening of interest for all followers of Historic Weather events!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Posted
On 21/01/2023 at 20:49, A Face like Thunder said:

The Winterwatch 1963: The Big Freeze programme is being repeated on Monday at 8pm on BBC4, which is unsurprising in view of the 60th anniversary this year. Well worth a watch if you've not already seen it. Followed at 9pm by Killer Storms and Cruel Winters: The History of Extreme Weather: Timewatch, so an evening of interest for all followers of Historic Weather events!  

Repeated tonight on BBC4 at 7pm followed by the Killer Storms programme again at 8pm.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

• Like 2