Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

River Severn Floods

kar999

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

There was a flood warning in place but it appears, according to this mornings local radio, that there was a missunderstanding about the anticipated level. Yesterday eveneing, late night shoppers were allowed to park their cars on the Frankwell car park only to find them submerged 3 hours later!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/im...gallery.shtml?1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/ar...t_feature.shtml

Edited by kar999

Posted

More photos here from yesterday higher up the Severn Valley in Mid Wales

http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2006/12/flooding-photos/1/

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

I am surpised we haven't had worse here yet. We have had continuous heavy downpours for the past 5 days!

Posted

We've only had 11mm of rain here so far in December, this coming after November only made 88% of average. It seems we are very sheltered here from west-east zonality, which Im sure is the same for much of the south-east aswell. I bet this will fool many people into thinking all of the water problems are over, but we'd need many more weeks of rain like this to avoid problems next year. Its the old case of rain not really falling where it is needed.

Posted

Have they not got new flood defences in Shrewsbury?

My Dad sent me emailed me some pic's he took of The River Dee which has flooded too. I expect to have some pictures of the Severn flooding later today.

Posted
Have they not got new flood defences in Shrewsbury?

My Dad sent me emailed me some pic's he took of The River Dee which has flooded too. I expect to have some pictures of the Severn flooding later today.

Yes they have-seems they were not errected in frankwell for some reason? Although i'm not sure it covers the car park-the council building was the first to get them-funny that! I worked in the town centre when we had the really bad floods-town was cut off apart from one bridge(toll bridge-if you've even been to Shrewsbury flower show you will know it). We were told it was a onc ein alifetime even so closed or the day for a proper look around. It happened again two years after that! And has happened god knows how many times since.

Posted

Just popping this over to the nature bit <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

I live in Shrewsbury and this morning i awoke to find the river pretty bloody high, i live in the Town center, about 5 seconds walk from my house to the Severn. Its the highest its been since we moved in a year ago.

Apparently the Town center car park manager, being a dozy sod misunderstood the warning off the EA and cokced massivley up. They were putting out emergency messaged in the shopping centers in town to alert shoppers that there cars were about to go under but many did not here the message and when they went back to there cars at 4-5 Pm las t night they were stuck with water up to the Wing Mirrors.

The Area in question (Frankwell) does have flood defense but only for the residential and Retail areas (and the new Council Buildings <_< ) and they work. This was the area you used to see on the TV when town flooded all the time, but since they were erected the area is safe. Clearly expensive barriers for the car park are a no go, but it should never have been open yesterday.

Shrewsbury is copeing pretty well now a days. Frankwell, and Cholham (the 2 main areas that always flooded) have both got decent barriers that leave the roads into town open. Even on my road 2 months ago they triled some new tempory barriers to protect that route into town (Cotten Hill). If the river rises anymore (i dont its going to the Peak was 6Am today i belive) then they would have been useing them for real

My girlfriend took some pictures today at 8Am and i will try and post them up later if anyone is intrested.

The good news is it did not get high enough to flood the Gay Meadow!!! (home of STFC)

Posted
The good news is it did not get high enough to flood the Gay Meadow!!! (home of STFC)

Won't be a problem soon anyway <_<

Posted
We've only had 11mm of rain here so far in December, this coming after November only made 88% of average. It seems we are very sheltered here from west-east zonality, which Im sure is the same for much of the south-east aswell. I bet this will fool many people into thinking all of the water problems are over, but we'd need many more weeks of rain like this to avoid problems next year. Its the old case of rain not really falling where it is needed.

Parts of the South East especially where I live has had for the last three months above average rainfall and rivers and ponds have filled nicely. Friends came down from Hutton Cranswick for a couple of days and were surprised how much rainfall we have had, I think some parts of Eastern England are missing all this rain. Agree still need plenty more rain to fill the underground water tables

Regards charlton north-downs

Posted

At around 1pm yesterday there didn't look any danger (lapping over the towpath but not threatening the carpark)- what happened apparently was there was a surge in the level which caught everybody out yesterday afternoon and on the 5pm local news there were reports of cars submerged. The river today is right up over the fields around the bypass and although the barriers are up they don't protect many places (except the new council offices/riverside development).

Now raining again so could well rise more in the next couple of days.

Posted

Posted

Ironbridge is next....

"The Wharfage at Ironbridge is now closed. The flood defence barriers are likely to be deployed from 4pm onwards today. Motorists can reach the Buildwas end of the gorge via Jiggers Bank or the bypass and Madeley Bank will still allow access to Ironbridge High Street and Waterloo Street towards the Jackfield Bridge."

Image from Shropshire Star

Edited by kar999

Posted

A few more photos from the bbc website some of which show the flood defences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/im...6_gallery.shtml

Posted

Apparently A mate of mine that funs a community center has been told that the revier will peak higher again today in Shrewsbury at 5PM at 4.1-4.3 meters higher than normal...

Thats higer that it was yesterdau and Tuesday and proses more of a threat to the areas with otu flood defenses...

Even worse predicted rains might push it higher still on the weekend...

the key is how much the river falls before the additiona rain starts...

could be a testy weekend for Shrewsbury and further down the Severn

Posted

My mate lives right by the river-floodline is apparently saying what you have just said above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
http://www.shrewsbury.gov.uk/Public/News/Webcam/default.htm

keep an eye on things-some good webcams.

Looks like a rescue dingy or something on this webcam

post-3392-1165580888_thumb.jpg

Posted
Looks like a rescue dingy or something on this webcam

post-3392-1165580888_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you captured that as i just saw it!! Thought i was seeing things.

Posted

Good spot....

Could be the guys checking on the bridge.... as you can see its pretty old and a large flood would see them have to close it to keep it safe....

Or could be someone fallen it..... will ring the mrs and see if she knows anything... she is at home today and we basically live to the right of that web cam about a 2 min walk away....

Posted

The bad floods were much higher and i think it stayed open then. Always worried me seeing the arches that full-the load must be immence!!

Posted
They've closed the bottom of Longden Coleham so you can't get from the English Bridge down towards Belle Vue- putting up the barriers down there I imagine.

That's where my mate lives <_< Coleham Head.