Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January 1987

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers, cold winters, snow, some severe weather to liven things up...

Yep indeed I am... :)

They're Thoroughly good :mellow:

Edited by Bad2thebone79

Posted

I would love to experience cold and snowy weather like 63,1987,1991 etc but it seems like we are a long way off from getting those set ups again. Who knows this winter might just deliver a cold/snowy spell that we all remember for years to come. :mellow:

• 1 year later...
Posted

just been on the net to look up the january 87 snow event and came across this. amazing is all i can say. this link looks like something you would get from america. http://212.58.50.37/...rticle_id=56417

the last couple of years are the coldest winters i have experienced, while the snow was the best i have experienced, im still waiting for snow like 87, and from before then. i dont get how the winter like last year was so cold for many decades, yet we didnt get drifts of up to 10 feet etc. i know many high ground parts did well with drifts, but nothing notable here at least. although saying that there was little atlantic to blow the snow around, but yet looking at the 13th jan 1987, there was hardly any tightly packed isobars and compare it to something like 5th january 2010 the isobars were not tight yet 1987 managed to produce such massive drifts.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

just been on the net to look up the january 87 snow event and came across this. amazing is all i can say. this link looks like something you would get from america. http://212.58.50.37/...rticle_id=56417

the last couple of years are the coldest winters i have experienced, while the snow was the best i have experienced, im still waiting for snow like 87, and from before then. i dont get how the winter like last year was so cold for many decades, yet we didnt get drifts of up to 10 feet etc. i know many high ground parts did well with drifts, but nothing notable here at least. although saying that there was little atlantic to blow the snow around, but yet looking at the 13th jan 1987, there was hardly any tightly packed isobars and compare it to something like 5th january 2010 the isobars were not tight yet 1987 managed to produce such massive drifts.

Blizzards/Heavy snow with severe drifting was lacking last winter in England and Wales. Highest wind speed Ive found for the wintry spell in Jan 1987 was 73mph at Warcop Range in Cumbria.

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Blizzards/Heavy snow with severe drifting was lacking last winter in England and Wales. Highest wind speed Ive found for the wintry spell in Jan 1987 was 73mph at Warcop Range in Cumbria.

Mark

When I was young lad we use to had to get to school in 20ft snow drifts, it was so cold teacher tea froze before he could drink it, by March the seas were frozen solid.

In fact I saw more snow in 24hrs in Jan 2010 then I did in 79,81,86,87 etc

Jan 87 was at Portmouth Poly had my 6 jumpers on and was fine

We should get away from this ‘when I was a young lad etc’ :cold:

Posted

Yes central and Eastern England got far more than some areas in the west, especially parts of Wales. Anglesey had barely any snow but was very cold. I've written before about a train journey from Anglesey to London and Paddington station around mid day having, I think, 3 trains actually moving and by 3pm none!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Mark

Indeed. I think the absence of a pronounced easterly spell lasting longer than 36 hours, or "mild Atlantic lows vs cold continental high" battlegrounds, was the main reason for this. Other than 17th/18th December the convective snowfalls almost invariably came from the north, while frontal snowfalls were associated with a west-based negative NAO and a battleground between the mild Atlantic air and polar air, and not much of a pressure gradient.

The easterly of the 11th-14th January 1987 was arguably the coldest of the 20th century, and occurred as part of an otherwise unremarkable winter quarter, so it is easy to see why the event sticks out in the memory for many people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

When I was young lad we use to had to get to school in 20ft snow drifts, it was so cold teacher tea froze before he could drink it, by March the seas were frozen solid.

In fact I saw more snow in 24hrs in Jan 2010 then I did in 79,81,86,87 etc

all depends on where you were located..i definetly saw alot more snow in 78,79,81,86,87 & 91 than January 2010

• 1 month later...
Posted

Remember it well - was living in Southampton, which is usually notably snow-free, and we had lying snow for several days. January 12 was Southampton's coldest day and night of the 20th century (-5.1/-10). The mean temperature for the month was 1.9, consistent with Southampton's long-term average temperature of around 1 deg C above CET - in my time there (1982-2002) only Febuary 1986 (0.4) and January 1985 (1.6) were colder [source: Met Office web site].

• 7 years later...
Posted

All eyes east at the moment, and of interest is the forming of a pool of sub 492 over eastern Russia , but if I'm not mistaken didn't we have the 492 line just clip the far SE of Kent during the Jan 1987 spell.- Apologize if I've- posted this before in another thread.

• 10 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The title says Feb 87, but it’s from Jan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Posted

I remember it as Feb 87  - a number of ice days and deep snow was close to the Thames (lake effect?) from Rettendon and Northwards it was only a couple of inches deep but blowing around each day as it wa so cold and dry.

That August we had flash flooding ( our village was cut off for a couple of hours) and then of course the October storm so a memorable year in SE Essex.

Edited by egret

Posted
16 hours ago, egret said:

I remember it as Feb 87  - a number of ice days and deep snow was close to the Thames (lake effect?) from Rettendon and Northwards it was only a couple of inches deep but blowing around each day as it wa so cold and dry.

That August we had flash flooding ( our village was cut off for a couple of hours) and then of course the October storm so a memorable year in SE Essex.

I remember the very cold snowy January. February was dull and miserable.

April was warm and sunny that year, and I remember thunderstorms in July, and the severe ones on the weekend of August 21st-22nd.

The October storm, and the very mild sunny Christmas Day. A year when the british climate started to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
17 hours ago, egret said:

That sounds like February '86 - a very cold "easterly" month but with many places having only modest snowfalls and some sheltered western spots seeing no lying snow at all.  The easterly of January 1987 was less prolonged but probably the coldest of the 20th century and brought deep snowfalls to much of eastern Britain plus, unusually, places like Penzance in the south of Cornwall.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

I remember walking along our normally busy high street in South London in Jan 1987 and being amazed at the amount of snow drifting in the wind; also the lack of traffic although that was probably less surprising. I also recall the FA Cup 3rd round tie at Crystal Palace going ahead on 11th January 1987 - one of the few ties to survive that weekend - and feeling colder than I have ever felt in my 60 years of watching football at Selhurst Park. Fortunately the Palace won!

• 9 months later...
Posted

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Now that’s a weather forecast - never seen the infamous John Kettley farming forecast from the Sunday online though would love to see that again !

Posted

ITN & Thames Evening News Snow coverage - Wednesday 14th January 1987

Posted

ITN & Thames News and Weather coverage of SNOW - 13th/14th January 1987

Posted

In the Netherlands there was a warning not to go outside on the 15th of January. A day to late. On the 14th the temperature did not rise above -10c. I remember it quite well. I was skating and I never felt so cold on this day. Due to the temperature but also the very cold wind.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

181AE3EB-4189-4B8A-9158-5746799C2861.thumb.png.622cd4b62e5f2c1de72482b0336c0f4a.png

Was browsing old charts & this struck me. This re-analysis chart shows -21 uppers scraping across eastern England on 12 Jan. 1987. Is this accurate? If so, must be a record low upper air temperature (I like browsing these historic charts at TWO as the vivid colours give more of a feel to how cold/hot was, imo.). 

Posted
11 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

181AE3EB-4189-4B8A-9158-5746799C2861.thumb.png.622cd4b62e5f2c1de72482b0336c0f4a.png

Was browsing old charts & this struck me. This re-analysis chart shows -21 uppers scraping across eastern England on 12 Jan. 1987. Is this accurate? If so, must be a record low upper air temperature (I like browsing these historic charts at TWO as the vivid colours give more of a feel to how cold/hot was, imo.). 

Yes I think it was.