Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The severe winter of 1978-79

Weather-history

Posted

I remember clearly the NYE snow blizzard here in Bristol. I was walking home early hours NYE morning from my girlfriend's house. Biting winds, powder snow falling and blowing across the roads like sand coming off a beach.

When i awoke later that morning snow was a foot deep and shaped liked sand dunes, with drifts 2/3 foot high against garden walls. NYE night temps fell to well below freezing.

January saw another 3 blizzards (i think) here; not quite as severe as NYE but not far off. I cant remember if February was so memorable as January but it did remain cold right through to March.

• Like 2

Posted

January 1979 was colder and snowier than Feburary 1979 but both months were significantly colder than average. There was a significant cold snowy period mid Feb 1979 I think around Valentines Day thanks to a bitter easterly wind.

March 1979 was also cold and snowy with significant snowfall mid month for many with another potent easterly blast. Indeed the cold lingered throughout Spring, May 79 was very chilly at times.

Unlike some of the other cold winters of the 20th century, the cold was more associated with low pressure, with less in the way of dry high pressure cold, and there were brief thaws at times as well.  More of a northerly influence than easterly.

It was more memorable than the last cold winter since in 2009/2010 which also was a more northerly than easterly winter, namely due to the heavier more frequent snowfalls which were often accompanied by gales, resulting in blizzards and drifting. 

Would like to experience another winter like 78/79 been an age since we had a proper blizzard, we just missed out on the March 23 2013 blizzard.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

I remember it well I had to walk to school in it over 2 miles every day not many made it in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

January 1979 was colder and snowier than Feburary 1979 but both months were significantly colder than average. There was a significant cold snowy period mid Feb 1979 I think around Valentines Day thanks to a bitter easterly wind.

March 1979 was also cold and snowy with significant snowfall mid month for many with another potent easterly blast. Indeed the cold lingered throughout Spring, May 79 was very chilly at times.

Unlike some of the other cold winters of the 20th century, the cold was more associated with low pressure, with less in the way of dry high pressure cold, and there were brief thaws at times as well.  More of a northerly influence than easterly.

It was more memorable than the last cold winter since in 2009/2010 which also was a more northerly than easterly winter, namely due to the heavier more frequent snowfalls which were often accompanied by gales, resulting in blizzards and drifting. 

Would like to experience another winter like 78/79 been an age since we had a proper blizzard, we just missed out on the March 23 2013 blizzard.

By far the biggest snowfall where I live was in the February spell (the spell in the New Year was more significant for the Home Counties, where I'd been for Xmas, than back at home). I reckon slightly less snow than January 1987 but more than February 1991 (and nothing else in my life has come close...) The gale force winds caused more drifting than '87 or '91 for my area too. Again nothing else has come close.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=15&month=2&year=1979&hour=0&type=ncep&map=0&type=ncep&region=&mode=0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

d large snowfallYes certainly in my lifetime winter 1978/79 is the benchmark that I use in any comparison.We had 4 major blizzard like events.The first ,biggest and coldest arriving on the last day or two of the year 1978.January produced a subzero month and the second large snowfall.February was very cold with another large snow event midmonth and yet another large dumping in mid march ,all these events had strong winds which left large drifts especially where we lived at 340m.With a cold spring snow lay under the walls here into May,just a shame the wind did not pick up in 2010  to challenge 79 but in truth no comparison.The snow in March 2013 however did remind me of 1979 for drifting ,far better than 2010 but 1979 really was something to behold here.Interesting also that local met office data shows the extended winter airfrosts since 1900 were the highest in 78/79 except for 1917 beating 1947 and 1963!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

d large snowfallYes certainly in my lifetime winter 1978/79 is the benchmark that I use in any comparison.We had 4 major blizzard like events.The first ,biggest and coldest arriving on the last day or two of the year 1978.January produced a subzero month and the second large snowfall.February was very cold with another large snow event midmonth and yet another large dumping in mid march ,all these events had strong winds which left large drifts especially where we lived at 340m.With a cold spring snow lay under the walls here into May,just a shame the wind did not pick up in 2010  to challenge 79 but in truth no comparison.The snow in March 2013 however did remind me of 1979 for drifting ,far better than 2010 but 1979 really was something to behold here.Interesting also that local met office data shows the extended winter airfrosts since 1900 were the highest in 78/79 except for 1917 beating 1947 and 1963!

Sounds an epic winter in the Pennines. I'm too young to remember it unfortunately, but locally we haven't had as severe a winter overall since. Conditions in Dec 81 though were comparable at times, and we've had short lived wintry severe spells with very deep snowfall notably Jan 84, early Feb 96 but nothing in terms of similar duration - though we have bettered the depth of cold since in Dec 2010.

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The Times features a piece on this winter today. It described January 23 1979 as a particularly cold snowy day, 12 inches in southern England made worse by Council strikes etc - will have made for a bleak time. The cold didn't really go until well into May..

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Posted

As it was almost six years before I was born, I think this is the only "beatable" record winter that could be achieved (I think 1963 will never happen again in our lifetimes).

Sadly, unless a miracle happens a winter like this is in dream world. 

Edited by nn2013
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I great winter Sheffield had only one road open into it which I guess was the Dronfield bypass. Outside of the house covered in ice and when you open the door to go out the snow fell in so you had to clear that up first before you went out. We had secondary double glazing then and the snow grains blew through the first set windows so you had a little drift of snow between the windows.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

My abiding memory of this winter is of a friday night when, with snow on the ground, I saw the weather forecast and was mortified to hear that snow turning to rain was expected overnight as weather from the Atlantic pushing over the country and a consequent rise in temperatures expected. Disappointed, I did the usual lamppost gazing to see the snow arriving and then, before going to bed, noticed it turning wetter and wetter accompanied by the dripping sound of the melting snow that had accumulated.  I was convinced I was going to wake up the next morning and see no snow left whatsoever.  In the morning I was woken by my brother telling me to take a look outside because I wouldn't believe it!  It took me some time I can tell you because I was certain he was just winding me up.  But when I did eventually look outside it was glorious!  Probably the most snow that I had ever seen in my life at that time.  I remember going for a long walk in it later and taking pictures, sadly long lost now, and marvelling at the amount of snow around me. It was the first time to my knowledge I became aware of important the "east v west" battle was in terms of snow and cold, and how one could never underestimate the ability of the cold from the east to fight back against a wannabee encroaching westerly regime!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

https://www.derbysulzers.com/snowa.html

Came across this by accident but is an amazing read particularly if you like trains,scroll to the bottom for 1979

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/10/2019 at 13:47, Timmytour said:

My abiding memory of this winter is of a friday night when, with snow on the ground, I saw the weather forecast and was mortified to hear that snow turning to rain was expected overnight as weather from the Atlantic pushing over the country and a consequent rise in temperatures expected. Disappointed, I did the usual lamppost gazing to see the snow arriving and then, before going to bed, noticed it turning wetter and wetter accompanied by the dripping sound of the melting snow that had accumulated.  I was convinced I was going to wake up the next morning and see no snow left whatsoever.  In the morning I was woken by my brother telling me to take a look outside because I wouldn't believe it!  It took me some time I can tell you because I was certain he was just winding me up.  But when I did eventually look outside it was glorious!  Probably the most snow that I had ever seen in my life at that time.  I remember going for a long walk in it later and taking pictures, sadly long lost now, and marvelling at the amount of snow around me. It was the first time to my knowledge I became aware of important the "east v west" battle was in terms of snow and cold, and how one could never underestimate the ability of the cold from the east to fight back against a wannabee encroaching westerly regime!  

Sadly these days the lows from the west often blast away the cold air without much of a fight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Don said:

Sadly these days the lows from the west often blast away the cold air without much of a fight.

Agree with this and so does everybody else, everybody of all ages knows winters have changed massively

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Agree with this and so does everybody else, everybody of all ages knows winters have changed massively

yep if you were born after the mid 80s its been pretty shabby bar the odd exception..if you were born in the 1930s like my dad you would have seen the best of those 1940-87 winters 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 10/10/2019 at 20:28, cheeky_monkey said:

yep if you were born after the mid 80s its been pretty shabby bar the odd exception..if you were born in the 1930s like my dad you would have seen the best of those 1940-87 winters 

my 94 year old Nan knows real uk winters, from Sunderland and Northumberland

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Posted

Quality of newspaper reports on weather had declined by this time, IMO. I think the rot started with WWII.

December 1978 Guardian/Observer

1st XMLtilE.jpegCLI9rL0.jpeg 2nd AKf2gli.jpeg 3rd UM5U65m.jpeg 5th VBhe4BB.jpeg

6th wx1wLiw.jpeg 7th mT93XOj.jpeg 8th zMTvFBL.jpeg 9th Kt4PyqB.jpeg  11th R8q8y2y.jpeg

12th QkcSs1d.jpeg 13th Uw62tB7.jpeg 14th yLcvOtM.jpeg QYBHwbt.jpeg 15thzdLxcdv.jpeg

16th hXzfXJs.jpeg 18th Dqhg2XF.jpeg 19th LFB8y8K.jpeg 20th CYazVUK.jpegTtIxrXn.jpeg

21st NDHgfRf.jpeg 22nd TdPI64T.jpeg 23rd EIUSmYS.jpeg  27th d6ssfP8.jpegzWtYf0f.jpeg

28th Rntug92.jpeg 29th UJR9viy.jpeg4TOTWyv.jpeg 31st D7UxVba.jpeg1gZhuLe.jpegyCTI0pk.jpegHatHWSS.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Good reading these. Snippet on record warm temps Antarctica makes interesting reading. One theory caused by the planets moving!.. the earth's climate started warming 10 years ago but don't know why...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Thank you @Weather-history for the articles and have had more memories of that winter very clearly triggered.  I recall my father being concerned about the 1978 storms with Portland being cut off and Chiswell badly affected as he had family living there at the time (he’s a Portland man, born and bred as he puts it). It was the cold, as well as the snow, that I particularly remember about that winter, hot water bottles all sold out and going to bed with as many warm clothes on as possible. 

• Like 1

Posted

February 1979

1st 1VPrup3.jpeg  2nd 0fC7g5p.jpeg 3rd THHqqhs.jpeg5th Z64mMCq.jpeg 6th z3yQfQ4.jpeg

7th bmbCvyy.jpeg  8th wuyo8RZ.jpeg  9th TfRpu7F.jpeg  10th B5vDvp9.jpeg

12th L9JV1fy.jpeg  13th FlYNsQd.jpeg 14th ZY4jQHc.jpegDMK93TB.jpeg 

15th CwRt5xv.jpegry4OSVr.jpeg  16th K2IdAxX.jpeg 17th SDt0MHU.jpeg udtOjv9.jpeg

19th R8GYr1U.jpeg 20th Ripxfl7.jpeg 21st fgqIaBG.jpeg 22nd 6DidgJb.jpeg 

23rd E563cuh.jpeg 24th HBwvwzS.jpeg 26th Pi0LiRf.jpeg 27th HneQUIM.jpeg 28th amYMMZo.jpeg

March 1979

16th XruPWGX.jpg 17th m57pSXQ.jpgSBtsitZ.jpg   18th 5elPPxM.jpgiufHZR0.jpg

19th rDIMIqG.jpg3lOWwcH.jpgimage.thumb.png.fd669662fbc9e1e1fd22235bfc09a416.png 20th VuNDhxR.jpgahvBXka.jpg

May 1979

1st mO8pUlm.jpg 2nd MdtvNPK.jpg  3rd 1rClCVe.jpga9PunKp.jpg

4th J4BnLFk.jpg VdtS842.jpg zfmEg2E.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1