Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novembers 1996 and 2005? Stats please Kevin B?

Posted

This thread is to discuss the Novembers of 1996 and 2005. They both had very mild beginnings and ended up below average CETwise. Nov 2005 started very mild and in fact stayed that way until the 13th, but then a cold high built from the north with severe frosts and an Arctic outbreak ended the month with snow across Devon on the 25th and snow across the Yorkshire Pennines on the 28th. Nov 1996 also started very mild with a Bartlett High and temps up to 16-17*C, but then cold north-westerlies became frequent and the second half of Nov 1996 was notably cold with frequent northerlies and snow on the 19th and 24th.

Kevin Bradshaw (Mr Data);

I do believe that the first half of Nov 2005 had a CET well into the 9s, but the second half was only in the 2s. I have no idea what the CET was for each half of Nov 1996, I seem to recall the second half of Nov 1996 being cold on a similar scale to the same time in 2005. Maybe Kevin can answer this? Which was colder, the second half of Nov 1996 or 2005, and by how much?

Posted
Kevin Bradshaw (Mr Data);

I do believe that the first half of Nov 2005 had a CET well into the 9s, but the second half was only in the 2s. I have no idea what the CET was for each half of Nov 1996, I seem to recall the second half of Nov 1996 being cold on a similar scale to the same time in 2005. Maybe Kevin can answer this? Which was colder, the second half of Nov 1996 or 2005, and by how much?

The figures I have and these are Hadley and not Philip Eden's

First half Nov 1996: 8.0

Second half Nov 1996: 3.9

First half Nov 2005: 9.8

Second half Nov 2005: 2.6

The second half of November 2005 was notably cold

Posted

Just popping this into the historic weather section :)

Posted

Although Kevin, the second half of Nov 2005 was over 1*C colder than the second half of Nov 1996, I actually believe that there was more snow in Nov 1996 than Nov 2005. There was snow on the 19th Nov 1996 widely across the Midlands and Yorkshire, and again across the Pennines on the 24th, with the intervening days being cold with northerlies and wintry showers and night frosts. Whereas in Nov 2005 snowfall was confined to Devon on the 25th and across the Yorkshire pennines on the 28th.

Also, Kevin, you have not updated your historic weather archive on TWO with articles on the last two years with the main highlights to write articles on being the cold spell and snowfalls of February 2005, November 2005, the very hot July 2006 etc, also the very warm Octobers of 2005 and 2006.

• 2 years later...
Posted

A couple of charts from those novembers this gave a low of -5c here,not much snow only 3 days falling.

15 frosts. :cold:

Rrea00120051118.gif

This gave blizzards with easterly gale force winds and 7inches of snow on this day,temp around the freezing mark.

5 days with falling snow that month.

Rrea00119961120.gif

12 frosts -5c lowest still lots of drifts left on the 28th which were frozen solid with hard frosts.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Of the Novembers since I started my weather records, 1996 and 2005 were definitely my two favourites (though I think November 1993 would have been right up there with them if it hadn't been for the dull dismal first half in Tyneside- as that wintry spell in the second half comfortably exceeded those of 1996 and 2005).

Indeed, the start of November 1996 was exceptionally warm. On the whole it was a "north-westerly" month with a fair amount in common with November 1969. I remember a large number of sunshine-and-showers days in Tyneside and not many dull ones, so it didn't surprise me to subsequently learn that sunshine came out about 30% above the long-term average despite well above average rainfall.

Surprisingly according to Weather Log most central and southern parts did not record any days with >50% snow cover at 0900 GMT- perhaps it was too marginal in the south? Manchester Airport did report 2 mornings with >50% cover, and Cleadon also had two (delivered by east-coast snow showers overnight 20th/21st). Cleadon had sleet or snow on 7 days during November 1996- higher than in any other November since at least 1985.

I remember November 2005 for that remarkably sunny frosty anticyclone between the 16th and 23rd in Leeds. Anticyclonic gloom was prominent on only one day out of eight, and all of the other seven days had sunshine, some high cloud and spectacular sunsets. There was of course that northerly outbreak between the 25th and 28th, which only brought a few sleet/snow showers to Leeds, and there were no mornings with >50% cover at Cleadon (just a smattering of snow cover early on the 28th) but I recall that some areas that don't usually see much snow, e.g. Lancaster and Exeter, got some unexpected helpings of the white stuff, with parts of Cornwall heavily hit by thundersnow. The max of 2.6C on the 28th at Cleadon was the lowest in November since 1993, although the last two days of November 2008 were colder.

Posted

Good summary there,those 2 novembers will stand out for me too 2005 with very sharp frosts was the highlight,even though 15miles west of here had about 2 or 3inches of snow,only a slight dusting here during that N-ly.

November late last year gave a max of just 1.0c on the 30th coldest day since that november day 1996.

Lowest max in 2005 was 2.1c on the 22nd.

Early in the month was very mild at 14.7c on the 2nd.

Nov 1996 was very similar 13c on my outside reading,maybe 14 or 15c even.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

19th November 2005 (saturday) was a max of -0.5°C here with freezing fog, minimum was -5.5°C, cold spell lasted right to the end, I had snow nearly all day on monday 28th, none though on 25th, but was a great cold spell, mild air arrived on 1st december,

96 of course legendary 6 inches on the 19th, perfectly tracking low with arctic air in place on the 18th, not seen that much since (damn this christmas pudding!) snow remained still quite deep out of sun until mild air arrived on 25th, after transient snow on 24th

Posted

I remember November 2005 for it's long and persistant frost and ice. Had a light snow shower which then frozen and lasted about 6 days. Lowest was -6.6c, Lowest on record until early January this year (with records going back to December 2003)

Posted

Snow on 25th Nov 2005 was not entirely restricted to Devon, there was some in Wales (where I was - I had the day off work to go sledging) and it caused chaos on the main road over Bodmin Moor in sub-tropical Cornwall!

I can remember November 1996 well, it gave the last truely snowy RAC Rally (the last time it was the whole of Britain) and it snowed all day on the Saturday in West Cumbria without settling. My sister was in Kendal and couldn't make it home, I was sick with jealousy!

Edited by trickydicky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I remember November 2005 for that remarkably sunny frosty anticyclone between the 16th and 23rd in Leeds. Anticyclonic gloom was prominent on only one day out of eight, and all of the other seven days had sunshine, some high cloud and spectacular sunsets. There was of course that northerly outbreak between the 25th and 28th, which only brought a few sleet/snow showers to Leeds, and there were no mornings with >50% cover at Cleadon (just a smattering of snow cover early on the 28th) but I recall that some areas that don't usually see much snow, e.g. Lancaster and Exeter, got some unexpected helpings of the white stuff, with parts of Cornwall heavily hit by thundersnow. The max of 2.6C on the 28th at Cleadon was the lowest in November since 1993, although the last two days of November 2008 were colder.

Here there were three mornings with full snow cover - one was a dusting, one was 4cm and another was 6cm. The 6cm fell within 30 minutes between 08:00 and 08:30 one morning, but had melted by 11:00 because the snow turned to rain and it was quite slushy anyway. The other two melted more gradually, taking the length of time you would expect for a dusting and 4cm on a sunny but cold day - 10:00 and 14:00 respectively.

Edited by alza

In fact not just Bodmin Moor but also significant snow at lower levels. I work in St Austell and lived in Golant near fowey (at the time), work was shut at midday (I work for an educational establishment) and had to leave car at top of the hill into golant. It started to snow at about 10:00am (sporadically) and then set in from 11:00, not relenting until about 16:00. Rugby the next day was cancelled due to snow on the pitch, and I was using snow (though not the yellow variety!) to chill my G&Ts on the sunday evening. I remember thinking how long it was since last time it snowed as on the previous occassion I had hair and did not have to endure the horror of ice cream head, which occurred this time round. The cold air that followed the snow meant that my parents still had snow (laying) in their garden well into the following week.

Posted

We had plenty of snow in SW Wales on 25th November 2005, at the time it was the deepest snow I'd seen here for 6 or 7 years. The snow was mainly confined to western parts of Wales due to the North Channel effect, there's a good article about the event on this site:

http://www.geologywa...s/autumn05b.htm

post-8245-12580611378418_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

November 1995 was entirely snowless here with not even a blob of sleet falling. 1996 on the other hand produced the largest single November snowfall on my 46 year record with 30cm on the 19th.

Not that it did anything for the following winter which was quite uneventful.

Posted

I really enjoyed Nov 2005, loved the contrast of the first half to the second, I remember going walking in the Cheviots on the 12th Nov as the high pressure began to develop and thinking mmm we could be in for a spell of lovely cold crisp weather and indeed we were, it was great to see how long it lasted. I was in Newcastle much of the time and don't recall seeing much snow apart from some showers one morning I think it was a Monday, it was the frosts I remember most.

As for Nov 1996 I vividly remember being in Newcastle on a Saturday with heavy sleety wet snow showers and strong winds giving blizzard type conditions. I was then in Windermere for a few days and remember having some snow cover about 2 inches but at the time thinking nothing of it, probably due to the memories of the cold snowy winter we had endured in 95/96.

However both Nov 96 and 05 pale in comparison compared to the cold of Nov 1993 and also never delivered as cold a day as Nov 30 2008 where I believe we were not far off recording an ice day - it was a great day with white frost everywhere.

Its a pity that the majority of Novembers over the past 10 years in the main have been mild affairs, I always hope for a cold spell at some stage in the latter part of the month.. as a precursor to the winter to whet my appetite.

Posted

I really enjoyed Nov 2005, loved the contrast of the first half to the second, I remember going walking in the Cheviots on the 12th Nov as the high pressure began to develop and thinking mmm we could be in for a spell of lovely cold crisp weather and indeed we were, it was great to see how long it lasted. I was in Newcastle much of the time and don't recall seeing much snow apart from some showers one morning I think it was a Monday, it was the frosts I remember most.

As for Nov 1996 I vividly remember being in Newcastle on a Saturday with heavy sleety wet snow showers and strong winds giving blizzard type conditions. I was then in Windermere for a few days and remember having some snow cover about 2 inches but at the time thinking nothing of it, probably due to the memories of the cold snowy winter we had endured in 95/96.

However both Nov 96 and 05 pale in comparison compared to the cold of Nov 1993 and also never delivered as cold a day as Nov 30 2008 where I believe we were not far off recording an ice day - it was a great day with white frost everywhere.

Its a pity that the majority of Novembers over the past 10 years in the main have been mild affairs, I always hope for a cold spell at some stage in the latter part of the month.. as a precursor to the winter to whet my appetite.

The cold spell of November 1993 was memorable. Only a few inches of snow fell but it didn't melt at all due the low temps. Just past driving test and recall how icy the roads were both day and night. Looking at the local stats temps fell to -10C with a daytime max at nearby Warcop range of -4C on the 23rd.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

• 1 month later...
Posted

Of the Novembers since I started my weather records, 1996 and 2005 were definitely my two favourites (though I think November 1993 would have been right up there with them if it hadn't been for the dull dismal first half in Tyneside- as that wintry spell in the second half comfortably exceeded those of 1996 and 2005).

Indeed, the start of November 1996 was exceptionally warm. On the whole it was a "north-westerly" month with a fair amount in common with November 1969. I remember a large number of sunshine-and-showers days in Tyneside and not many dull ones, so it didn't surprise me to subsequently learn that sunshine came out about 30% above the long-term average despite well above average rainfall.

Surprisingly according to Weather Log most central and southern parts did not record any days with >50% snow cover at 0900 GMT- perhaps it was too marginal in the south? Manchester Airport did report 2 mornings with >50% cover, and Cleadon also had two (delivered by east-coast snow showers overnight 20th/21st). Cleadon had sleet or snow on 7 days during November 1996- higher than in any other November since at least 1985.

For me, I think weather-wise, November 2005 was the best month of the decade: the flip-flop temperature wise between the first half and the second half of the month has not been seen since (correct me if I am wrong).

I'm surprised you didn't get much snow on November 28th because I distinctly remember a band of snow crossing the country.

Regards, hgb