Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

The winter of 1946-47

Weather-history

Posted

They may have already been mentioned,  but there are some regional weather history books. I've got both of The Lancashire Weather Book and Yorkshire equivalent.  Some nice historical photos of 6 feet snowdrifts and "ice bergs" on the Mersey. Photos speak a thousand words and can contradict "inaccurate" measurements from old instruments as some scientists proclaim

Edited by BrianR
    • Like 1

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

January 1947

1st ZZMHSuV.jpeg 2nd rgaQ2wV.jpeg 3rd 90XtIQW.jpeg 4thY7cAoni.jpeg5th DhB0mwf.jpeg 7thvysnfVt.jpeg

7th FkrbFhn.jpegd4U8OVa.jpeg  8th 41kbkqZ.jpegPzAddrI.jpeg  9th jIOsjEA.jpeg 10th t3Uk3nO.jpeg11th HFaw0W8.jpeg  13th oqStcy8.jpeg

14th 5RwkkcD.jpeg 15th Xd2EWI1.jpeg16th ut9jLne.jpeg17th YcoCCnb.jpeg2gbUfd3.jpeg 18th zGGTTyq.jpeg 20th UEv4Sn2.jpeg9tt7ayR.jpeg

21st FFKixgM.jpeg 22nd IqWrGC3.jpegosEz0DG.jpeg  23rd XTZsMTA.jpeg 24th qQqjvGu.jpegqaPGE1M.jpeg  25th N0KRbEl.jpeg

27th a2wvjJw.jpegh9pkkgJ.jpeg0XRXDgR.jpeg 28th pZwXBQr.jpeg7jE9rcU.jpegg2UHrt9.jpeg

29th BvjlEAJ.jpeg1rufGsx.jpegAzsGhCm.jpeg  30th 3IDakqD.jpeg5BPdl40.jpeg2ILm0e3.jpeg   31st BxkjYhV.jpegfdepQEg.jpeg

e7UYpZl.jpeg5Zpj05q.jpegbwChPdc.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Gosh those cuttings bring back many small child memories of that winter. I kept a scrap book of all the local paper stories, Derbyshire Times and The Star (Sheffield) but my mother had a loft clear out without telling me decades later and they got thrown out!

Power cuts were almost routine and living by candlelight with no radio seemed quite exciting to me. We still had an oven by the coal fire so the cooking was done on that. As they say, those were the days-no thank you now.

Dad worked on the coke ovens but the supply of coal stopped and I went with him to collect wood from damaged pit props that miners and surface workers were able to take home. I clearly remember on one trip, 6 miles each way ,with a sledge he made, a double decker bus, behind a snow plough easily seeing over the top of it, the snow was so deep in parts.

• Like 4