Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

What time will you be able to see it, i should most definately see it but the cloud might not leavePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Skies clearing fairly well here too, fingers crossed! Never seen them before.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Solar & Aurora activity thread this way peeps.....-------------> link

Ay, sorry, I should have looked there first. Looks a bit academic for me, tho - i'm just missing the all-nighters :D

Posted

Yes i can see clear skies in the distance to the west, the low cloud is just piling over Telford though at the moment, need more of a westerly push.

Posted

Broken cloud here at the moment, Kp level currently at 4 with a predicted 6 around midnight. Could go either way but I'll be up having a look just in case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Clearing up nicely here. Hope to see something tonight. Would be special!

Posted

Clearing up nicely here. Hope to see something tonight. Would be special!

Hi

When abouts would people start to see things, i'm assuming it would be when its most dark but I freely admit to knowing bugger all about this, though am fascinated!

Posted

Not sure if this is correct buy peak around 12 tonight. I might be wrong but i am sure i seen this on another forum

Chris

Posted

@ Coldfingers: I read that the aurorae will be potentially visible anywhere north of 45 degrees, Bognor is probably about 50N so you should have a chance as long as it's not cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hi

When abouts would people start to see things, i'm assuming it would be when its most dark but I freely admit to knowing bugger all about this, though am fascinated!

Apparently after Midnight is the best time to view. :D

Posted

Been looking out of a north facing window and the sunset appears to be pulsating very slightly. Has anyone else seen this happening because i think i may be imagining it.

Posted

If last night was anything to go by, my latitude is 52º North. However, seen over much of Europe last night and with the second CME approaching, then anything is possible.

I last saw them, and for the first time ever in April 2000.

Believe me, It is a sight to be inspired. My camera is charged and at the ready.

Good luck to all who do visualise, if it materialises.

Phil.

Edit: Forgot to mention the odd Perseid meteor or two. Should be a good year with no Moon in display.

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted

@ Coldfingers: I read that the aurorae will be potentially visible anywhere north of 45 degrees, Bognor is probably about 50N so you should have a chance as long as it's not cloudy.

OH! :D Many thanks, I will definitely have a look out for it then, does one need to look to the northern horizon though? If so I wont see much because of the South Downs but worth a look out the window. Sadly no car to drive out to Goodwood about the only place for looking north across the Weald.

Been looking out of a north facing window and the sunset appears to be pulsating very slightly. Has anyone else seen this happening because i think i may be imagining it.

Sun has set long ago here.

Posted

No real need to look North, Coldfingers. The display I saw in April 2000 was directly overhead, green towards the north horizon, pink and red curtain slow moving trails almost above.

You need to see it to believe it. Puts a lump in your throat in a theoretical sense as to the beauty of nature.

Phil.

Posted

No real need to look North, Coldfingers. The display I saw in April 2000 was directly overhead, green towards the north horizon, pink and red curtain slow moving trails almost above.

You need to see it to believe it. Puts a lump in your throat in a theoretical sense as to the beauty of nature.

Phil.

Thanks a lot for the info Phill, seeing the aurora is a dream I have had since a teenager. At 60 this may be the only chance I get to see it. I am doubtful though as the last time this display was further south than normal we didn't get to see it down here. Here's hoping anyway, if not tonight maybe sometime during the next few years. By the way. we never had blackouts from it before so I would seriously put that down to scaremongering by the papers.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

If the display is weak you may just see colour to the low northern horizon but higher dispalys are possible but rare at lower latitudes.

The hype in the press is a bit OTT on this occassion but strong solar flares are capable of causing devastating effects and shouldn't be frownded upon. During previous strong storms the astronauts in the ISS were confined to the thickest part of the craft. Transatlantic flights were diverted further south rather than over the north pole. Parts of Canada suffered a major blackout in one previous storm. In the years since then technolgy has become more reliant on satellite technology. The day will come when your Car sat nav and mobile will go on the blink and your Sky movie might be interupted!

Back to tonight keep an eye on the indicaters in the other thread. Aurora Data Links

ideally we need a KP index nearer to 6. Currently it's only 4 so most likely only higher latitudes will be in with a shout.

Edited by kar999

Posted

I face west in southwest london (fortunately no street lamps unless you hang out of the window). Is this phenomenum likely to appear over all of the UK or certain regions and directions? I don't know much about this but missed out on seeing them in Finland a few years ago so trying not to miss out on the opportunity if there is a chance!

Posted

According to this (http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/08/04/northern-lights-set-for-a-second-southern-show/) tonights display could be even more intense. Whether this is just for Canada or for everyone im not sure though i know the show in Canada is better anyway i think.

Posted

After Midnight should be when things may become viewable if the Northern lights decide to appear. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

oh poop, sat24 shows a lot of low cloud feeding down into the cheshire gap....this could spoil things

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I may be to far south for this event tonight but none the less i have my hd 1080p camera charged up and ready to film its a dark clear night out tonight so fingers crossed! ;)

did anybody see it last night?

Posted

According to this (http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/08/04/northern-lights-set-for-a-second-southern-show/) tonights display could be even more intense. Whether this is just for Canada or for everyone im not sure though i know the show in Canada is better anyway i think.

The magnetic North Pole is over Canada so the Northern American continent always gets the best shows... for those that dispute the potential risk of solar storms here is what a G5 storm could do.... yesterdays storm was just a G2.

NOAA Official Storm Scales

G 5 Extreme

Power systems: : widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage.

Spacecraft operations: may experience extensive surface charging, problems with orientation, uplink/downlink and tracking satellites.

Other systems: pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps, HF (high frequency) radio propagation may be impossible in many areas for one to two days, satellite navigation may be degraded for days, low-frequency radio navigation can be out for hours, and aurora has been seen as low as Florida and southern Texas (typically 40° geomagnetic lat.)**.

Activity is currently low and no storm in progress...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

Edited by kar999

Posted

No danger of any Northern Lights far south. Probably unlikely as far north as Shetland too!

The media reporting of this "event" has been way OTT.

Edited by Mondy