Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

I am pleased with the news: cycle 24 will be a moderately weak one!

Karyo

I can see your point, but I'd so love to see aurorae over Primrose Hill (I'm not going into the discussion about the extent to which solar activity affects temperatures on Earth as that's for another thread entirely). Although, given how long C24 has taken to get going, it is probable that it's going to be a washout/damp squib (unless anyone else has info about slow-starting cycles being stronger in the long run).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

A much more realistic prediction from the SWPC but it's still about 20 too high imo. I'd go for a SSN of 70 for the next max around the middle of 2014.

Posted

It seems the activity that was observed on the sun's surface a few days ago was not a sunspot!

From spaceweather.com: 'The farside sunspot that unleashed a powerful CME on May 5th is finally rotating into view. Except it is not a sunspot. The blast site appears to be in a state of decay with only some patches of bright magnetic froth marking where a sunspot group might have been.'

So the quietness continues...

Karyo

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Another words they haven't a clue what's happening. Lets see what happens

Posted

It seems the activity that was observed on the sun's surface a few days ago was not a sunspot!

From spaceweather.com: 'The farside sunspot that unleashed a powerful CME on May 5th is finally rotating into view. Except it is not a sunspot. The blast site appears to be in a state of decay with only some patches of bright magnetic froth marking where a sunspot group might have been.'

So the quietness continues...

Karyo

The first region is now a plage area of SC24 activity. The second region (furthest left) is coming into view. This may well be a SC24 spot:

Posted Image

From Spaceweather also:

According to NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft, which is stationed over the sun's eastern limb, another active region should emerge today. Will it be a genuine sunspot--or another corpse? Stay tuned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

As per other thread, my money was on return of quiet...it seems so. As re how many sunposts per month, anyones guess except more and more likelY to be on low side [huh, wait until SC25!!!]

Re slow start cycles speeding up and becoming strong, I don't think that will be the case or happens however, I haven't seen any study on that.

BFTP

Posted

Today's image is a magnetic map of the sun. Two active regions are circled. Their polarity identifies them as members of new Solar Cycle 24, but they lack the dark cores required of true sunspots. So, in spite of these lively magnetic imprints, we must still say "the sun is blank--no sunspots."

And there we have it...............its very quiet up there and this is of concern.

BFTP

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Today's image is a magnetic map of the sun. Two active regions are circled. Their polarity identifies them as members of new Solar Cycle 24, but they lack the dark cores required of true sunspots. So, in spite of these lively magnetic imprints, we must still say "the sun is blank--no sunspots."

And there we have it...............its very quiet up there and this is of concern.

BFTP

Oh, of course :)

Posted

BFTP

(Whispers).......which image is that, Blast? Are you referring to an image on another site, or is it me being a bit thick? http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

'Tis quiet, though, innit? I think it's quite exciting! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif :D

Posted

This image:

post-4189-1242152878_thumb.jpg

Sorry that's the one....but if you got the attempt at humour!!! :whistling:

BFTP

Posted

Sorry that's the one....but if you got the attempt at humour!!! :)

BFTP

Oh, dear....what a dozy old twit I am! :)http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Posted

A new sunspot appeared as part of cycle 24!

www.spaceweather.com

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

Spotless Days

Current Stretch: 0 days

2009 total: 115 days (86%)

Since 2004: 626 days

Typical Solar Min: 485 days

Details on current depth of minima. Pretty impressive and with a chance that 25 will be deeper. Although already mentioned I will post a graph that illustrates NOAA prediction.

Posted Image

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

Still well on course to beat last years spotless days total, at the current rate 2009 should exceed 300 spotless days. Although we should perhaps expect a reduction in the frequency of spotless days as the year progresses.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Still well on course to beat last years spotless days total, at the current rate 2009 should exceed 300 spotless days. Although we should perhaps expect a reduction in the frequency of spotless days as the year progresses.

Indeed fozi, interesting times ahead!

Posted

SSN=11

Posted Image

SC24 finally kicking in. Months of blankness and now two recent regions producing sunspots, plus plage regions too - all associated with C24

Posted Image

Posted

The new spot in the southern hemisphere is no more than a speck just like the rest of the sc24 spots that have come and gone before hand.

Solar activity is still at very low levels with no real signs of this changing in the foreseeable.

Posted

SSN=11

SC24 finally kicking in. Months of blankness and now two recent regions producing sunspots, plus plage regions too - all associated with C24

I'm not sure about the regions just south of the equator: they look like SC23 as they've got the opposite polarity to the spot farther south.

Posted

From the sunspots and plage you would hardly know it's started. The region near the equator is SC23 and the sunspot is tiny with poor contrast suggesting a weak cycle to come. The only real indicator of the upswing in SC24 is the 10.7cm Flux which is increasing nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

what are the chances of solar activity increasing to say that of a normal cycle ?

and am i right in saying a maunder type minimum is now not likely at all in the next 5 to 10 years? :(

Posted

My own opinion is that a normal cycle, as in average compared to recent cycles, is impossible now. I think a Dalton style minimum is likely but not a Maunder - Maunder is probably too extreme.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

Another active area has appeared on the sun's surface: www.spaceweather.com

It is not clear yet whether this is a sunspot but it can be said that recently the sun has not been as quiet as before...

Karyo