Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

It'll vanish round the corner anyway before too long, if it lasts long enough. Recently tho' these things have only tended to last a few hours.

Posted

Is it a dead pixel or is there another sunspot just to the bottom right of the Suns centre? about the same size as this new one thats on the upper Right corner.

Posted

Is it a dead pixel or is there another sunspot just to the bottom right of the Suns centre? about the same size as this new one thats on the upper Right corner.

Nothing is mentioned in the website so i assume it's not a sunspot.

Karyo

Posted

Nothing is mentioned in the website so i assume it's not a sunspot.

Karyo

Yep your right, just got a reply from SOHO saying the artefact is just a dead pixel, I searched the movie archive for the past 24 hour images and sure enough its dead-centre as the sun is still rotating.

At least I managed to get the Solar Scope out for 10 minutes in the garden (even if I was practially looking at nothing there lol.)

Posted

Nice flare just popped off! Probably not Earth directed though. Can't find any data on what category it is yet.

SOHO C3

SOHO C2

Edited by frogesque

Posted

Solar Cycle 23 spot returns, jeez :)

Frustrating or what? Maybe we've just skipped cycle 24 and gone straight to 25 :)

Posted

Frustrating or what? Maybe we've just skipped cycle 24 and gone straight to 25 :)

I don't find it frustrating at all! The more this quietness of the sun extends the more interesting it becomes...

Karyo

Posted

I don't find it frustrating at all! The more this quietness of the sun extends the more interesting it becomes...

Karyo

Agreed, we have a unique opportunity to see how much the sun does influence the climate by comparing hopefully a long deep solar minimum with a very active last 50+ years.

This minima could also dispell the co2, ghg warming theory and that the warming up to 1998 before it flatlined was in fact more to do with the sun than anything else.

Posted

Karyo

Ah! but solar mins are very frustrating for aurora freaks like me. I realise it's a magnificent chance to study the quiet sun and draw up a baseline for future comparison but would a teensy weensy X20 flare directed straight at us hurt? :)

Posted

Some activity is emerging. Taken from spaceweather.com:

'NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft is monitoring an active region hidden behind the sun's eastern limb. On May 5th, it produced an impressive coronal mass ejection (movie) and a burst of Type II radio emissions caused by a shock wave plowing through the sun's outer atmosphere.

Activity continued apace on May 6th with at least two more eruptions. Furthermore, recent UV images from STEREO-B reveal not just one but two active regions: image. At the root of all this activity is probably a complex of sunspots.'

Karyo

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Some activity is emerging. Taken from spaceweather.com:

'NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft is monitoring an active region hidden behind the sun's eastern limb. On May 5th, it produced an impressive coronal mass ejection (movie) and a burst of Type II radio emissions caused by a shock wave plowing through the sun's outer atmosphere.

Activity continued apace on May 6th with at least two more eruptions. Furthermore, recent UV images from STEREO-B reveal not just one but two active regions: image. At the root of all this activity is probably a complex of sunspots.'

Karyo

Still C23 though!?...

Posted

Still C23 though!?...

I hope so! We will know soon enough as that area of the sun comes to view in the coming days.

Karyo

Posted

Still C23 though!?...

At that high latitude it's more likely to be C24.

Posted

There've been at least two coronal mass ejections from that complex in the last couple of days, which is a definite improvement on the last couple of months!

Posted

NOAA/SWPC will be releasing an update to the Solar Cycle 24 Prediction on Friday, May 8, 2009 at noon Eastern Daylight Time (1600 UT).

Posted

I am pleased with the news: cycle 24 will be a moderately weak one!

Karyo

You don't fancy a couple of big X-20+ flares to occur giving aurora to southern latitudes?

Posted

You don't fancy a couple of big X-20+ flares to occur giving aurora to southern latitudes?

I can see the attraction but i would rather see a continuously quiet sun leading to the end of the global warming era and why not some cooling instead! :clap:

Karyo