Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

Anti-mild, there are reconstructions of solar variations going back well before the Maunder minimum. These are based on secondary evidence like auroral observations and variations of carbon 12 and 13 residues in dating samples.

What these show can be summarized as follows, I will go backwards from the Maunder since you were asking about that specifically.

The sun was in a weaker than usual but regular mode in the first half of the 17th century before the Maunder. There were several peaks at ten year intervals roughly, similar to the moderate peaks of 1893 and 1905.

There was some fairly robust activity in the 16th century, not that different from the 18th.

Before that came another long quiet period in the 15th century known as the Sporer minimum (umlaut on the o, I don't have time to look for it). That didn't seem to be as big a shutdown as the Maunder, but bigger than the Dalton.

The 14th century had some very strong activity, 1372 is listed by Schove as the only other "SSS" peak besides 1957. There were a number of strong peaks in a row all dated to years ending in 1 or 2.

Before that, I would have to look it up and my memory says, about the same mixture of weak moderate and strong periods at irregular intervals, all the way back to the earliest years for which Schove could find precise dating records of aurorae. Beyond that, we have more general and vague suggestions from geological traces that solar activity has varied a lot in the past.

Posted

I asked before but didn't (to my knowledge) get a reply so here goes again. Will the start of the new cycle proper (predominance of C24 spots) be a slow growth in numbers or do the numbers tend to jump up quite quickly?

Well, three C24 "spots" in 2 weeks, instead of none for months lets you into a story. I did actually post somewhere on here that once SC24 begins properly the sunspots come fast. It's still teetering about at the mo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Cheers Col!

I looked at the 'plots' from other cycles and they do seem to pick up in numbers quite rapidly once things are underway. I take it once we're into the ascendant with spot numbers they'll adjust the forcast for C24(again).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Cheers Col!

I looked at the 'plots' from other cycles and they do seem to pick up in numbers quite rapidly once things are underway. I take it once we're into the ascendant with spot numbers they'll adjust the forcast for C24(again).

Will they change it from a incredibly active to much weaker? I have faith in the astrophysiciists who have called for weakening cycles [true minima] and NASA's latest findings re magnetic field. Sunspots coming thick and fast after a cycle gets underway isn't a given its all relative, especially if true minima is being entered into.

Spaceweather.com is a very good sight IMO and 1003 is the current SC24 sunspot

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Guest Shetland Coastie

Sunspot 1003 is already struggling to keep it together and is fading. All these cycle 24 spots so far have been weak, feeble affairs with no aparrent stamina, a sign of things to come perhaps?

Posted

well ladypakal this is what they try to do,as there are various sunspot numbers counts,the older visual methods are still used to provide a continum from past centuries so that this data sits alongsode the more modern methods

http://sidc.oma.be/news/106/welcome.html

Thanks - good to know.

Posted

Appears Hathaway changed the NASA Sunspot prediction for Solar Cycle 24 by extending it 2 months but not changing the sunspot number for the solar maximum. The updated animation can be found here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:SSN_Predict_NASA.gif

The latest NASA prediction in a GIF and text file format can be found here.

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/ssn_predict_l.gif

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/ssn_predict.txt

Courtesy SC24 forum

Posted

according to http://www.solarcycle24.com/ 1003 has indeed all but gone,but there may be another on the farside

Gone, indeed, except on the Soho magnetogram. More like a Cheshire cat than a sunspot.

Posted

looks like there has been some CME activity coupled with the activity on t,other side

cactus cme detection pic from yesterday 06\10\08

Edited by blackdown

Posted

Yet again no sunspots. The holographic image shows none on the far side either.

Spaceweather

Hathaway, when will he give up the ghost?

BFTP

Posted

Hello sunwatchers, I have finally managed to get my ass in gear and open up a website to discuss my research. Bookmark it and visit some time, but come back in about a month because I will have more material posted on solar-weather connections by then.

http://www.futureweatherinc.com

Posted

Barry, that's the current image of the Sun..the image I posted is called "Stereo Behind"..it shows what's happening on the other side of the Sun, so if this area remains, you'll see in a few days the same spot in the face of the Sun.

Play about with the link posted under the Behind image and you'll see something different ;-)

Posted

post-5438-1223572597_thumb.jpgwhat ever it was has gone

Not really - Delta Xray's image was from Stereo B - which is in a position where it can see farther round that limb of the Sun. Soho won't pick that area up for a few days.

Reason for edit: DXR got there first!

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Signs of a record breaking solar maxima to come!

http://www.spaceweather.com/

BFTP

Posted

Hmm... what to believe, sun is blank or sun spot number=12?

I do see something here - top left seems to have a small cluster of something:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realti...024/latest.html

Yuo're right about the two little spots Lady Pakal - and I think they're cycle 24 at that latitude. This is in addition to the active area that Stereo B spotted.

spaceweather.com's not been updated yet today so the 0 is yesterday's number - also these spots have emerged quite rapidly.

CR

Posted

Yes, it seems to be just the two spots now but it looked more like 4 earlier when I posted. Maybe none in a few more hours, based on the lifespans of sunspots recently.

This observatory also saw 4 - see the drawing at the bottom.

http://sidc.oma.be/uset/index.php

An embarrassment of sunspots... :)

Posted

Yes, it seems to be just the two spots now but it looked more like 4 earlier when I posted. Maybe none in a few more hours, based on the lifespans of sunspots recently.

This observatory also saw 4 - see the drawing at the bottom.

http://sidc.oma.be/uset/index.php

An embarrassment of sunspots... :)

Sunspot 1004 of SC24...........but indeed for how long?

BFTP