Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

Hello Guys, its Kevin from solarcycle24.com

I enjoy your message board, thanks for visiting my site.

That CME yesterday was a dandy.. im hoping the sunspot group saves some more energy for when it rounds the eastern limb.

Cheers, Kevin

www.solarcycle24.com

Posted

Welcome to posting on nw Kev. Some of us are bonkers about the sun! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Hello Guys, its Kevin from solarcycle24.com

I enjoy your message board, thanks for visiting my site.

That CME yesterday was a dandy.. im hoping the sunspot group saves some more energy for when it rounds the eastern limb.

Cheers, Kevin

www.solarcycle24.com

Hi Kevin! and welcome. Would the size of Ejection we've just witnessed on the Eastern limb present possible problems for us here (on Earth) if it was a polarity that was to cause 'forced currents?'

Posted

Welcome to posting on nw Kev. Some of us are bonkers about the sun! ;)

And others are just bonkers 8P :D

Welcome Kev, nice to see a new face in SS&N

Posted

Hey Mondy, GM, or GA your way..

i too am also bonkers, hence the website hihi.

Hoping there will be some aurora in store for us if this sunspot group persists.

Posted

Gray-Wolf, that ejection is not earth directed, so no impact on earth most likely. In the next week as the spot turns into view, any similar ejection will be more earth directed and can have impact.. by impact i mean, nice aurora's, geomagnetic storm. No harm to us, only problems it can cause if the geo storm is severe to extreme, is voltage trouble with transformers, power stations, and can cause blackouts. THis is very rare though.

As soon as the spot is in view, NOAA space environment center will anylize the complexity of the spot, but judging by the explosion.. it would have to certainly be magnetically unstable.

For ham radio ops such as myself, radio progagation on VHF via aurora is outstanding.. so we look forward to these types of things. Just like to keep the power on though hihi.

cheers guys,.'

and hello Shuggee and Frogesque.. thanks.. look forward to stopping by and chatting it up.

Posted

nice.. forgot to check soloarmonitor.org , there site has been up and down lately. Will add to my site. Cheers

Ditto!

My question was more slanted at the prospects of this solar cycle being one of the 'more active' of our observed solar cycles ( according to nasa) bringing the prospect of 'uncommon' events into the 'more common' frequency grouping.

I am a newby and so don't fully appreciate the significance of the cycle we're entering and though the experience ,first hand, of the most active solar cycle in observed records excites me it also troubles me that it should occur at a point in our technological development when we have 'built in' a degree of instant susceptability to southerly magnetically charged ejections of this sort. :(

EDIT: Sorry ,I was tardy in my initial question and should have enquired 'if such an ejection occured whilst Earth facing'.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
Posted

This is gonna produce soon (he says hopefully!) - another couple of B-flares this evening. Nothing spectacular in that, but as froggy notes the M-field looks impressive (the more twisted the better( :D )..i mean just looking at the various movies/screen grabs it looks fairly impressive.

...and after typing all that, it'll be gone in 2 days :D

http://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events/

Posted

Little C3 , this video shows the original CME yesterday and then the C6 this morning.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LATEST/current_c2.mpg

Frogesque, little correction, that link above with the CME, was of the one ranked as B9... that was on Jan 24th utc, the C6 happened on Jan 25th utc.

Lets go for an M Flare next. Maybe something is just getting ready to burst.

Posted

Little C3 , this video shows the original CME yesterday and then the C6 this morning.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LATEST/current_c2.mpg

Frogesque, little correction, that link above with the CME, was of the one ranked as B9... that was on Jan 24th utc, the C6 happened on Jan 25th utc.

Lets go for an M Flare next. Maybe something is just getting ready to burst.

Parden my ooops! It's kind of difficult to keep up! And just when I thought it was safe to go out for a chippie another C flare goes off. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I hope it doesn't cook itself out too soon though. Whilst I like the pretty profile pics an nice X class Earth directed in a few days would be better. :whistling:

Posted

So we're looking at 2 'poppers' turning around to face us then? Would be nice to have a kp7/kp9 so Jamie can have a peep (one of his story books ended in an aurora so now he wants to see one!) Worth waking him for I think.

Posted

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime-images.html

The EIT images (top line) are beginning to show the loops in the magnetic field associated with the sunspot coming over the left edge. They look very complex. There's also a beautiful prominence on the right in the EIT 304 image.

Posted

Sunspot 940 (?) has arrived! Latest doppler image

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realti...024/latest.html

Region is very active as we've seen, relatively quiet today but still plenty of potential

Extreme UV Image, EIT 171 Å

http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/latest_eit_171.gif

:hi: Did someone say KP 9 :rolleyes: now ive just got to remember to look at the right chart ;)

Oh and I like the grey circle least, then the orange, but the blue wow wee loverly ! ( yer sorry I was trying to join in your excitement but obviously in my own way as it dont mean nothing to me ! )

Posted

Sure enough, sun gets quiet, as spot comes into view.

maybe things will change.

Maybe it's just 'winding itself up' for another big pop?