Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, karyo said:

Yes but those were SC24 sunspots. Now they are all from 25 and they last longer too. In the first 10 days of 2020 we only have one spotless day.

Sure but you can’t take a sample size of ten days on a solar scale. The next two could be SC24, we could go another two months between spots. 

Solar activity is not uniform, it is a series of peaks and troughs. Some smaller and larger than the proceeding. The last two quarters have had a 90% spotless rate, we will need to see this one and next to draw many conclusions.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

It does seem like SC25 is arriving, I’ve read that astrophysicists and NASA are expecting an awakening and a cycle peak as early as 2023.  Now normally low activity cycles are longer than active ones so an unusual one this, so if we see a peak by 2023, one of two things...either a very low maxima is anticipated or a super ramp up is coming?

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It does seem like SC25 is arriving, I’ve read that astrophysicists and NASA are expecting an awakening and a cycle peak as early as 2023.  Now normally low activity cycles are longer than active ones so an unusual one this, so if we see a peak by 2023, one of two things...either a very low maxima is anticipated or a super ramp up is coming?

BFTP

Just three years to reach maxima? Blimey. Has that ever happened before or would it be unprecedented? Wonder what they're basing those expectations on.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, jethro said:

Just three years to reach maxima? Blimey. Has that ever happened before or would it be unprecedented? Wonder what they're basing those expectations on.

So much for a prolonged minimum!  I take it that’s not great news for the next few winters?  Too early to speculate, I suppose!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
14 minutes ago, Don said:

So much for a prolonged minimum!  I take it that’s not great news for the next few winters?  Too early to speculate, I suppose!

Solar forecasts are pretty useless. Truth is no-one, and I mean no-one, has any solid idea of how the sun is going to behave in the coming years. We only have historic records to base forecasts on- essentially pattern matching.

• Like 6

Posted
53 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Solar forecasts are pretty useless. Truth is no-one, and I mean no-one, has any solid idea of how the sun is going to behave in the coming years. We only have historic records to base forecasts on- essentially pattern matching.

True, but with more SC25 spots appearing, activity is perhaps on the rise after hoping 2020 would start as 2019 finished i.e. prolonged periods with no spots!  However, as others have alluded to, it could easily go spotless again for a few months.

Posted
6 hours ago, jethro said:

Agreed...I’m perplexed too....very very interesting 

BFTP

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

No, yet again you misread lack the understanding.  Deep minima grand cycles aren’t just about the sunspots disappearing during schwabe minimas....but how weak the cycles are overall.  So it’s also about how weak the schwabe maxima is too.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

No, yet again you misread lack the understanding.  Deep minima grand cycles aren’t just about the sunspots disappearing during schwabe minimas....but how weak the cycles are overall.  So it’s also about how weak the schwabe maxima is too.

BFTP

Aye, what do you mean 'yet again'?  No, I'm certainly no expert on solar activity, but that's slightly rude, don't you think?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Don said:

Aye, what do you mean 'yet again'?  No, I'm certainly no expert on solar activity, but that's slightly rude, don't you think?

I maybe should have said ‘one’.  It’s a common mistaken response made by many re solar minima....it’s not about the Schwabe cycle (11 year mean cycle). And don’t get too upset or take it personally , it isn’t rude or meant to be at all.  Take it just its meant...a repost to your viewpoint on your post

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BFTP

No, Blast. That was just rude.

Please post a link to the Schwabe minumum/maximum info and why that's any different to just general solar max/minimum. Last time I looked at anything, he got the solar period wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

No, Blast. That was just rude.

Please post a link to the Schwabe minumum/maximum info and why that's any different to just general solar max/minimum. Last time I looked at anything, he got the solar period wrong.

The 11 year min/max IS the Shwabe cycle

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, jethro said:

Not all that shocking. The last cycle was dead until Q2 2010 and had double peaks in 2012 and 2014.

Also space weather confirmed the 2019 number at 273 so we only took 4th but did beat 2008 and 2009.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
20 hours ago, CreweCold said:

True. I mentioned way back in the thread that all the SC24 max predictions (45 or so) taken together more or less formed a normal distribution. In other words, about what you'd get if you asked 45 people to pick a number between 80 and 160.

Having said that, the predictions based on physical methods (e.g. polar magnetic field strength during minimum) performed better, as can be seen here:

SC24chart.png

USERS.TELENET.BE

Een site met informatie over de zon, de zonneactiviteit, de aarde en het ruimteweer

Most predictions I've seen so far have been for another weak cycle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Just to make things more confusing Silso.com have recorded 4 sun spotless days so far:

07 January : 0

08 January : 0

09 January : 15

10 January : 0

11 January : 0

Posted
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

Just to make things more confusing Silso.com have recorded 4 sun spotless days so far:

07 January : 0

08 January : 0

09 January : 15

10 January : 0

11 January : 0

It’s dependent on the count one takes.  I say go for the Wolf Count....we can then match previous recorded cycles.

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
12 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

It’s dependent on the count one takes.  I say go for the Wolf Count....we can then match previous recorded cycles.

BFTP

Fair enough, what figures come out of that count then please.

Seems a bit implausible to go 0,0,15,0,0.??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

www.sidc.be/silso.com
It has today's sunspot count as 0

But Solarham.com

Has the sunspot count as 14 and the Solar Flux at 74

Spaceweather.com is still showing yesterday's sunspot count.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

www.sidc.be/silso.com
It has today's sunspot count as 0

But Solarham.com

Has the sunspot count as 14 and the Solar Flux at 74

Spaceweather.com is still showing yesterday's sunspot count.

I still say that's a hell of a jump up and down from zero to 14/15 and back to nowt! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

2 days blank, 3 for 2020, 23%

Solar flux 73

Thermosphere: 3.03

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

3 days blank, 4 for 2020, 29%

Solar flux 72

Thermosphere: 3.04

• Like 2

Posted

Silso Sunspot Index has 5 sun spotless days for January.  It usually reports less sunspots than Spaceweather, I wonder if they have changed the method on how they count sun spots.

• Like 2