Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

Use to have e`mail warnings from a site,don`t know whats happened there,so I missed last nights,but it was overcast all yesterday,then suddenly cleared at 8pm ish,then overcast this morning.

Spring is the best chance to see this as its 30 years since my first viewed aurora back in mid march 1986.

Posted

The view from my bedroom window last night of the Heavenly Dancers, here in Dundee..A first for me !

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

A9.jpg

A10.jpg

Edited by Polarlow
  • Like 7

Posted

Yep that's what I saw in 1986 ^^

Expect there`ll be nothing tonight now I`m looking for it.

By the star deneb Summer of 95, now that is setting here so looks like it wouldn`t of been seen here,along way to the north by the looks last night.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The far North should see Aurora now.

a.png

A little cloudy atm on the Shetland webcam..Don't let the lighthouse beams confuse!

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Just taken a pic from front door. I won't embarrass myself by posting it! Aurora is so low and faint if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't see it. And that's with a the camera.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Polar Maritime but not as good as last night with more patchy cloud about

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/aurorawatchuk/2016/03/07/we-got-it-wrong-last-night-and-heres-why/

AuroraWatch admit they got it wrong re. the alerts the other night and explain why.

They hope to inform us better in the future.

Thanks Mushy for the info on alerts, I did 'like' your post a few back.

B.  :)

Posted
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:

http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/aurorawatchuk/2016/03/07/we-got-it-wrong-last-night-and-heres-why/

AuroraWatch admit they got it wrong re. the alerts the other night and explain why.

They hope to inform us better in the future.

Thanks Mushy for the info on alerts, I did 'like' your post a few back.

B.  :)

You just can't beat looking out the door! Alerts, even if they are correct will not not let you see an aurora if you have 100% cloud cover and driving rain in an F8 gale. I was fortunate, I'd looked at Solarham and saw the kick in Bz and the other indicators. Went outside and there it was visible under streetlights on probably the clearest, still, moonless night we have had for a long time.

The other thing folk have to realise is that aurora are very unpredictable. The very best displays may only last a few minutes or may last an hour or more. Often there is a lot of time spent waiting for a steady, somewhat boring band to actually do something. The something tends to happen quickly as twisted magnetic field lines snap and reconnect, a substorm, then you can get the perfect display with the best range of colours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Aye, I always look first for those weather factors Frog but I am much further south and I also

need to walk out of the village to a higher, darker view so I particularly welcome a good alert.

A few times folks have been kind enough to mention it here in the status updates which are

readily seen.

I hope for everything to come right for me to see the wonderful lights one day !

My husband went to Iceland in 2013 and was pleased to see them the once .. first night.

B. :)

Posted
On 07/03/2016 at 7:00 PM, Snowyowl9 said:

Yep that's what I saw in 1986 ^^

Expect there`ll be nothing tonight now I`m looking for it.

By the star deneb Summer of 95, now that is setting here so looks like it wouldn`t of been seen here,along way to the north by the looks last night.

Deneb doesn't set in Britain. It's always well clear of the N horizon even at its lowest, it was more towards the NNW when the aurora started on Sunday, had gone through North and was rising again when it came back after midnight (By then, it was more around Cassiopeia and Perseus). The aurora was visible in mid Wales, where the cloud cleared- pictures were taken from the Brecon Beacons.

If there were high mountains immediately to the N it (and Deneb) may have been hidden, but they would have to be high and close. 

Posted

Trees and a bank above us as Deneb was right on the horizon but disappears at 8.30pm.

Ah well missed another one of probably 2, but I don`t expect it was very bright and upto the march 1986 one let alone the 2000 april.

Posted

Orkney last night.

• Like 1

Posted

Posted

Posted

Currently kp 5, Aurora visible on the Shetland webcam; http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

• Like 2

Posted

Shetland a short while ago.. Kp5 Storm currently expected with Aurora visible now over parts of Scotland. Just visible on the Shetland live webcam here; http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

1.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Plenty of shots on the web from last night, With the Aurora visible over a large swathe of Scotland/Highlands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

This from spaceweather. Interesting times ahead lets see if global temps start to fall!!!

SOLAR CYCLE CRASHING: Anyone wondering why the sun has been so quiet lately? The reason is shown in the graph below. The 11-year sunspot cycle is crashing:

For the past two years, the sunspot number has been dropping as the sun transitions from Solar Max to Solar Min. Fewer sunspots means there are fewer solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs). As the explosions subside, we deem the sun "quiet."

But how quiet is it, really? A widely-held misconception is that space weather stalls and becomes uninteresting during periods of low sunspot number. In fact, by turning the solar cycle sideways, we see that Solar Minimum brings many interesting changes. For instance, the upper atmosphere of Earth collapses, allowing space junk to accumulate around our planet. The heliosphere shrinks, bringing interstellar space closer to Earth. And galactic cosmic rays penetrate the inner solar system with relative ease. Indeed, a cosmic ray surge is already underway. (Goodbye sunspots, hello deep-space radiation.)

Stay tuned for updates as the sunspot number continues to drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That stuff from Spaceweather reminds me of 2003,4,5,6,7,8...2015.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
59 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That stuff from Spaceweather reminds me of 2003,4,5,6,7,8...2015.:D

Which bit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Also, global temps are going to fall a bit toward the 2nd half of this year and next year, as we switch from El Nino to a likely La Nina. So we might want to hold off a few years before we attribute anything to solar activity.

Posted

Tweet

"BGS Space Weather ‎@BGSspaceWeather

Next 72hrs-ACTIVE. CH that caused STORM last time around expected back late on 1st/early 2nd. Likely to cause ACTIVE with some STORM periods"

Posted

Scotland have a good chance of seeing Aurora now.

• Like 2