Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Beautiful pictures

I was asked today if that after a spectacular Aurora show is it true 'we' (the UK) get really strong winds

Has anyone heard of this before and can offer an explanation where it comes for.

Posted

I didn`t see any display last night at all,just had a look tonight nothing again,that glow was town lights.

Usually there is a major glow seen to the NW before the major curtain event arrives as the first display I saw back in 1986,which I didn`t know what it was back then,still rate that as the third best display in march with april 2000 second and  march 1989 top.

As for strong winds after it was breezy 2 days after the spectacular display of 2000 april.

The long run continues since the last time I saw them in 2001.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

You're too far south to see them tonight. Although there's still a storm event going on, it's calmed down from last night and I think you probably need to be north of Belfast, Liverpool, Newcastle to even catch them on the northern horizon tonight.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

Beautiful pictures

I was asked today if that after a spectacular Aurora show is it true 'we' (the UK) get really strong winds

Has anyone heard of this before and can offer an explanation where it comes for.

Some of the very recent research has found a link between energetic particles produced at times of high solar activity and an increase in the polar vortex strength. This fires up the jet stream and can increase tropospheric low pressure in N Atlantic region. Results show that response can be quite swift.

Perhaps, observations are now being reinforced by scientific study but, as yet, a lot of theory rather than fact.

• Like 2

Posted

It was shame that the airmass wasn't an Arctic origin, instead of the polluted gunk we currently got. Far more people would have seen the display.

I don't think it would have been that brilliant display, however, compared to March 1989, April 2000 or October 2003.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Some of the very recent research has found a link between energetic particles produced at times of high solar activity and an increase in the polar vortex strength. This fires up the jet stream and can increase tropospheric low pressure in N Atlantic region. Results show that response can be quite swift.

Perhaps, observations are now being reinforced by scientific study but, as yet, a lot of theory rather than fact.

thanks

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

From the Isle of Mull last night..

10431435_10206434509168335_174987970815111067511_10206434508128309_722487701924211076281_10206434509808351_6646495902916

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, auroras.

I congratulate everyone on amazing auroras! I watched it all night at 57°N, Russia, Irbit city. Here are my pictures:

0_cf24d_ae4103ac_M.jpg 0_cf24f_7661e6e6_M.jpg 0_cf24e_87e0b448_M.jpg

And timelapse:

Edited by IrSCr
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Seems pretty good timing. A questions and answers session (AMA) is currently being hosted on the reddit science section here. I think a few members might find it interesting. Here's the short intro:

Science AMA Series: I’m Dr. Liz MacDonald, a space weather scientist studying auroras and Sun-Earth interactions, AMA!

I'm Dr. Liz MacDonald. I am a space weather scientist at NASA Goddard and the project lead for an independent citizen science project called Aurorasaurus.org that tracks auroras around the world using Twitter and the Aurorasaurus website and mobile apps. Auroras are hard to predict and we are gathering data from social media users to help them see it and help us understand it.

I will be back at 1 pm EDT (5 pm UTC, 10 am PDT) to answer questions, ask me anything!
Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 2

Posted

Great shots there irSCr, And thanks for sharing here! Also cheers for the link Born ☺

• Like 1

Posted

If skies are clear on Svalbard/Faeroes tomorrow. What would the odds be in seeing the Aurora alongside totality?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Some amazing pictures on this Facebook page taken on Lewis. 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1567830573486956.1073741833.1423818014554880&type=1

11074100_1567830876820259_85946162461207

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I have seen the aurora from here and it was spectacular back in early April 2000. Making me wonder just what the kp level was back then because although visibility is not ideal tonight, I couldn't tell if I was looking at it. Back in early April 2000, it was so obvious. Even saw coronal features from here.

My dissertation involved space weather and I've got a Kp archive file going back decades, I'll have a look when I get home.

Posted

My dissertation involved space weather and I've got a Kp archive file going back decades, I'll have a look when I get home.

Kp for 2000 in Bartels format.

http://wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/kp/index.html#FIG

kp2000.gif

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 2

Posted

April 2000 started late at night at around 11.30pm and lasted until 2.45pm with the best displays.

I missed the October 2003 one.

I`ve seen aurora with patchy cloud also.

Posted

April 2000 started late at night at around 11.30pm and lasted until 2.45pm with the best displays.

I missed the October 2003 one.

I`ve seen aurora with patchy cloud also.

October 2003 was more or less a once in a lifetime event for me up here with a  green/yellow  auroral  arc to the south(never seen this before or since) a red arc directly overhead which appeared  to spiral to infinity when you looked up at it(red is very rare here too) and  huge  yellow/ green moving curtains to the north so the sky was filled with auroral light. Aurora Storm witnessed this with me and we both felt we had witnessed an amazing astronomical event. The light lit up the evening countryside to dusk or dawn levels  and you could see quite well.

• Like 1

Posted

October 2003 was more or less a once in a lifetime event for me up here with a  green/yellow  auroral  arc to the south(never seen this before or since) a red arc directly overhead which appeared  to spiral to infinity when you looked up at it(red is very rare here too) and  huge  yellow/ green moving curtains to the north so the sky was filled with auroral light. Aurora Storm witnessed this with me and we both felt we had witnessed an amazing astronomical event. The light lit up the evening countryside to dusk or dawn levels  and you could see quite well.

I thought that was a good display something similar to april 2000 what I`ve seen or read,to the south of you,april 2000 was to the north/NW from here which had bright yellow,orange and reds with greens,1986 just had mostly greens.

As for 1989 that was overhead this far south and to the south/north,all over the sky,that was in a lifetime event,bright reds,even blues,lit up the whole landscape incredible.

My mum seen that one and will never forget it.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

I thought that was a good display something similar to april 2000 what I`ve seen or read,to the south of you,april 2000 was to the north/NW from here which had bright yellow,orange and reds with greens,1986 just had mostly greens.

As for 1989 that was overhead this far south and to the south/north,all over the sky,that was in a lifetime event,bright reds,even blues,lit up the whole landscape incredible.

My mum seen that one and will never forget it.

Myself and Mrs Northernlights who was expecting Aurora Storm at the time went out for  for a meal at night and by chance  saw the 1986 event. I"ll get into trouble for this post from certain family members

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Did anyone see much of the eclipse this morning? I'm in Paris CDG waiting for my flight back to Leeds and here it was just too hazy with pollution and mist to see the sun but it did get quite dusky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Did anyone see much of the eclipse this morning? I'm in Paris CDG waiting for my flight back to Leeds and here it was just too hazy with pollution and mist to see the sun but it did get quite dusky.

Eclipse thread here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80116-2015-march-20th-solar-eclipse/page-11

Posted

Loch Lomond last night.

11082510_10204067132503740_8749157052605

• Like 3

Posted

Think theres more to come from this yet,I pop out every night now this time of year,so I`ll keep an eye out.

How in the heck did I miss this last Thursday visible from shrewsbury/long mynd,it must of been further north to normal as can`t see north to good here with a wood and hill behind us.

I should`ve gone for a walk to the top.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/starwitness/2015/03/18/the-northern-lights-captured-by-readers-in-shropshire/northern-lights/

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 2 weeks later...