Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I really don't think that many of the so-called 'Solar experts' even know what's going on, RD?? IMO, it's a little like quantum theory: anyone who claims to understand it, quite clearly doesn't...

Yep. Well they have certainly got cycle 24 wrong so far.

Can someting as beautiful but complicated as a star ever be understood?

The ultimate enigma really.

Posted

Eh what does this mean? Hopefully nothing serious.

This is very serious. This is the second major CME in a metter of weeks. The first CME caused flight operator down times in many parts of the world.

Will have to wait for reports on the latest CME.

Posted

This is very serious. This is the second major CME in a metter of weeks. The first CME caused flight operator down times in many parts of the world.

Will have to wait for reports on the latest CME.

Flight donwtime? Have you got a link for that?

Posted

I am confused.

Why would there be more radiation etc when the sun is quieter? It seems like the wrong way round?

Loads of Chemtrails this morning due to the Major Solar Flares.

The vast radidation being emitted has resulted in the government spreading large quantities of Barium at high altitude in order to absorb this radiation.

There is an interstellar energy cloud which is in our solar system and is heavily magnetised. This will have a bearing on enhancing the quiet sun. Another factor is Elenin which has been storing a lot of charge for a few years and this will also enhance the quiet sun.

Flight donwtime? Have you got a link for that?

..................Disruption

Last week another CME only hit the Earth a glancing blow, yet was able to disrupt airline communications.....................

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1VTH3fMQX

http://www.dailymail...hits-earth.html

Edited by yamkin

Posted

The vast radidation being emitted has resulted in the government spreading large quantities of Barium at high altitude in order to absorb this radiation.

There is an interstellar energy cloud which is in our solar system and is heavily magnetised. This will have a bearing on enhancing the quiet sun. Another factor is Elenin which has been storing a lot of charge for a few years and this will also enhance the quiet sun.

Last week another CME only hit the Earth a glancing blow, yet was able to disrupt airline communications.....................

It does not say it disrupted airline communications?

I was hoping for a more authoritive source than the Dail Fail.

Anyway............I am off to put on my radioactive suit, thanks for the heads up Yamkin Posted Image

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

It does not say it disrupted airline communications?

I was hoping for a more authoritive source than the Dail Fail.

Anyway............I am off to put on my radioactive suit, thanks for the heads up Yamkin Posted Image

Just different terminology. No need for radioactive suit Posted Image

Posted

Who told you that the "government spreading large quantities of Barium at high altitude in order to absorb this radiation".?

:)

Posted

Who told you that the "government spreading large quantities of Barium at high altitude in order to absorb this radiation".?

Posted Image

ME Posted Image

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1

Posted

So you made it up.

Fair enough Posted Image

No, I was informed of this by a good source. Sorry for the confusion. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No, I was informed of this by a good source. Sorry for the confusion. Posted Image

And that 'source' would be who, precisely? Not the same 'source' that told you all that crap about that insignificant piece of rock, that's about to wipe us all out?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Sometimes Yamkin I read your posts and simply sit in wonderment, shaking my head. Today was one such day.

• Like 7

Posted

Barium spreading by the government? Chemtrails? Elenin? I had to double check that i hadn't landed on one of those doom conspiracy forums!!! Complete and utter rubbish!

I think this thread is open to a lot of speculative over-exaggeration and just completely inaccurate therory, everybody reading should bear this in mind.

Posted

I think this thread is open to a lot of speculative over-exaggeration and just completely inaccurate therory, everybody reading should bear this in mind.

TBH I think this thread should concentrate on what it set out to do and that is to discuss current solar and aurora activity. :)

Posted

A double-barreled hole has opened up in the sun's atmosphere and it is spewing a split-stream of solar wind toward Earth http://www.nasa.gov/...main/index.html

Sky watchers should be alert for auroras when the solar wind arrives on August 22-24. NOAA forecasters estimate a 35% to 50% chance of high-latitude geomagnetic activity http://spaceweather.com/

post-2721-0-60677500-1313882757_thumb.jp

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Barium spreading by the government? Chemtrails? Elenin? I had to double check that i hadn't landed on one of those doom conspiracy forums!!! Complete and utter rubbish!

Totally agree as Potty Prof also says in his post..

.....and as a prime example ...

Don't be surprised that the aviation authorities ground all planes as a percaution.

I dont beleive planes have ever been grounded, not even during even the strongest transformer blowing storms of the previous cycles. Flights diverted away from the poles...yes ... grounded .. nope.

Posted Image

It would be interesting to see how many clueless car drivers get "grounded" when their sat navs start playing up/stop working if we had a good old "proper storm" from couple of mega X10 flare CME's hitting us Posted Image

Back on topic ,with the twiilight season almost over there should be more decent displays at higher latitudes. A double coronal hole solar wind coming up should give a good show..

EDIT: Solar activity, even minor, has always caused radio communication issues... ask any Radio Ham (like myself or Mondy and others..). It's not always disadvantageous for communications either. sometimes quite the opposite with long range communication becoming possible.

Edited by kar999
  • Like 1

Posted

ALERT - ANOTHER HUGE CME NASA STEREO SOHO IMAGES 28TH AUGUST 2011

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1NI8iGT1k&feature=uploademail

post-2721-0-21009800-1314606961_thumb.jp

Edited by yamkin

Posted

We are only getting C class flares... nothing huge or unusual about any associated CME's

If if's to be a Daily Mail doomsday scenario we need a few X10+ earth directed blasts.

Posted

Today's earth facing side of the sun is well peppered with small active regions, for the next 3 to 4 days the only region capable of earth directed flares/cme's is sunspot 1283 which has shown a marked increase in size over the last 48 hours, M class flare activity is possible if growth continues.

Trailing right behind sunspot 1283 and currently emerging over the east limb is a rather large coronal hole, should it maintain it's size and structure during the next week or so it will hold potential for minor geomagnetic storming once it becomes earth facing.

Behind that however is the interesting bit... What I think was old sunspot 1271 is showing major growth on the farside of the sun with high levels of magnetism, it could be the largest sunspot of this cycle so far when it appears over the eastern limb in around 7 to 8 days time.

A lot can happen in that time though, both the sunspot structures and the coronal hole could decay but they could also continue to grow in size, we just need to wait and see what happens.

Attached is a snapshot of Nasa's Stereo A and B images joined together and rolled out flat representing nearly 100% of the sun's surface, the right hand side (three squares deep) is the earth facing side and the left hand side (3 squares deep) is the farside of the sun.

post-12654-0-57840700-1314974538_thumb.g

Edited by GeorgeWX

Posted

i'll add 2 images that should update regularly, enabling you to keep track of developments. First is the stereo image mentioned above, the second is the gong farside image which is compiled using seismic data to estimate activity on the other side of the sun, laid out in the same grid format as the nasa stereo image. i'll copy/paste more info below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The farside maps are based on an analysis of sound wave travel time variations, with locations of shorter travel times appearing darker. These darker regions indicate locations where there is an accumulation of magnetic field on the far surface (farside information and references). Candidates with a probability of 70% or higher are highlighted in red (more information).

Edited by GeorgeWX

Posted

Today see's several C class flares and a single M3 flare and cme from around the area of old sunspot 1280 which has just dissapeared over the western limb. Earth is not in the line of fire for any of these but the instrumentation onboard nasa's stereo A craft might detect the M3 related cme as it passes.

AR1283 is positioned well for earthbound directed activity during the next 48 hours, the region has continued to develop further but so far remains quite stable, that could very easily change in the coming day or two.

The area of interest on the farside of the sun still appears large in size but it will be at least 6 ot 7 days before it emerges over the limb.

The large coronal hole is now over the eastern limb but appears to have decayed slightly, if it hangs around it will be at an earth directed position on the 10th-11th September.

Today's noaa sunspot number comes in at 139, i think the highest for a few months at least. (just quickly double checked it looks like the second highest daily sunspot number for this solar cycle. The highest being 153 recorded on the 13th of April this year).

post-12654-0-38417900-1315165140_thumb.j

Edited by GeorgeWX

Posted

I was looking at some archived data as to the earth effects of the large coronal hole (now numbered CH475) that has just emerged over the eastern horizon of the solar disk, during the last 4 solar rotations since its birth.

Geomagnetic disturbance date/maximum kp rating during disturbance

13/08/11 kp4

18/07/11 kp5

22/06/11 kp4

27/05/11 kp6

Come the 10th of the month it will be clearer just what effect the high speed wind streams coming from this coronal hole are likely to have on our planet. if i were to put on a bet as things stand today then 3/2 it hits kp4 or higher, 2/1 on kp5 and 4/1 on kp6... all based on what todays stereo b image shows, also remember any cme activity around the coronal hole (even from lowly c class flares) will enhance the geomagnetic field even further as the wind stream passes our planet.

view of the sun from Stereo 'Behind' satellite showing the very active region on the farside and the coronal hole that is transisting the limb towards the earth facing side of the solar surface

post-12654-0-08060300-1315180209_thumb.j

View from earth in a light spectrum that identifies magnetic filaments on sunspots and coronal holes.

post-12654-0-59992200-1315182266_thumb.j

Edited by GeorgeWX
  • Like 1