Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

I have always wondered if in the mini ice age there telescopes would maybe not see the tiny sunspots we see so if that is the case maybe we are in a dalton minimum or even a Maunder now .

Am i correct in thinking this or am i totally wrong its just could are telescope technology be picking up sunspots they couldent esp in the 1700s when there where none for a few years i just dont understand how they can compare todays sunspots to mini ice ages when there telescopes could not be very good .

ive read some people say some of the sunspots they count should not even be counted cause there too small is this true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I have always wondered if in the mini ice age there telescopes would maybe not see the tiny sunspots we see so if that is the case maybe we are in a dalton minimum or even a Maunder now .

Am i correct in thinking this or am i totally wrong its just could are telescope technology be picking up sunspots they couldent esp in the 1700s when there where none for a few years i just dont understand how they can compare todays sunspots to mini ice ages when there telescopes could not be very good .

ive read some people say some of the sunspots they count should not even be counted cause there too small is this true

The link below will take you to the Laymans Sunspot Count which tries to mimic the methods of old to give atruer comparison which definetly shows a similarity to cycle 5 which was dalton

http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/50

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

We saw fanastic aurora on Monday night, got great pictures.... remember where we live, there is no other human light all the way to the north pole.. Just darkness.

Posted

spaceweather.com has an alert for auroras for high latitude areas tonight due to a possible hit from some solar activity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://beforeitsnews...on_the_Sun.html

Ignoring all the doomsday comments that follow the piece,is this sorta thing really unusual or what?

Did it not pertially 'ignite' yesterday (not earth facing) yet the filiment remain intact?

If it made it's way all the way around the sun would it be the same as when shingles gets all around yer tummy? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Intresting to see the NOAA have said there is a 40% chance of Severe Geomagnetic Storm tommorow

from spaceweather.com

Geomagnetic Storm Warning : NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of severe geomagnetic storms around the poles on Oct. 25th. The forecast is prompted by a possible double whammy: both a solar wind stream and a CME could hit Earth's magnetic field on that date. High-latitude sky watchers should alert for auroras"

Chanes of a mid latitude minor storm are at 50%

Edited by Calum

Posted

Posted

It wouldn't really do anything anyways even if it was directed at us. A Nice light show.

Quite agree, Earth often gets hit by CME's its only after NASA ridiculous article about

the possibility of a monster CME hitting the Earth that every time something is now

directed at the Earth from the sun there's an over reaction to it.

Posted

Quite agree, Earth often gets hit by CME's its only after NASA ridiculous article about

the possibility of a monster CME hitting the Earth that every time something is now

directed at the Earth from the sun there's an over reaction to it.

I'm not scare-mongering, and, given that I've edited astronomy books for over 20 years, am well aware that NASA is over-hyping the possibility of a super-flare. Depending on several factors, such as the relative orientation of the magnetic field of the CME to that of the Earth, the speed, or two CMEs arriving at one on top of the other it's perfectly possible for even quite small flares to knock out single satellites (2003, I think) and damage infrastructure (Quebec in 1989).

Posted

I'm not scare-mongering, and, given that I've edited astronomy books for over 20 years, am well aware that NASA is over-hyping the possibility of a super-flare. Depending on several factors, such as the relative orientation of the magnetic field of the CME to that of the Earth, the speed, or two CMEs arriving at one on top of the other it's perfectly possible for even quite small flares to knock out single satellites (2003, I think) and damage infrastructure (Quebec in 1989).

Aye, it's very possible, but totally over hyped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Don't profess to know anything at all about solar activity. However I don't know if this is anything, or if it has already been referred to? Probably all hype as well:

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Don't profess to know anything at all about solar activity. However I don't know if this is anything, or if it has already been referred to? Probably all hype as well:

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/

Given that - contrary to all measurements and scientific opinion - he's just announced the death of the North Atlantic Current (North Atlantic Drift/Gulf Stream to the scientific community), I'd say he's talking tosh.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

It may be overhyped, but we are far more reliant on satelite and electronic technology nowadays as well as interlinked power grids.

One day there will be a big earthquake on the San Andreas Fault that could wipe out SF or LA but life goes on despite the known risk.

Interesting article on previous damage from geomagnetic storms and protection of power grids against them here:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/26oct_solarshield/

Posted

update from SIDC @1317 TODAY

CHEERS

COMMENT: NOAA AR 1117 has produced two C-class falres, a C1.8 at 03:18

UT and a C5.7 at 05:31 UT. This region will rotate behind the west solar

limb in the next 24 hours but it can still produce more C and even

M-class flares. A new region NOAA AR 1120, with Beta magnetic

configuration, is rotating into the visible solar disk. There was a west

directed CME at 00:12 UT which is not expected to be geoeffective.

Aditionally, there are signs of a CME in STEREO-A COR2 beacon data which

may be Earth directed, around 03:00 UT on October 30. Since SOHO and SDO

show a data gap lasting several hours around this period, it is

impossible to confirm this for the moment. Geomagnetic conditions are

quiet, the CME from October 26 seems to have arrived to the Earth with a

weak imprint in plasma and magnetic field signatures. Nevertheless the

interplanetary magnetic field is elevated for the moment (around 10nT)

but northward directed, active conditions may occur if the field turns

south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

After an active period over on 'The Layman's Count' The sun is again spotless with minimal activity anticipated we could be in for a period of little or no activity. Can only add to an intresting winter!!

Posted

After an active period over on 'The Layman's Count' The sun is again spotless with minimal activity anticipated we could be in for a period of little or no activity. Can only add to an intresting winter!!

Lets hope so!!

Posted

Two M-class flares today!