Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

I suspect there's a certain amount of hype going on. More active flares that were directed towards us have caused no disruption at all in the past.The Torygraph appears to be scaremongering somewhat excessively. .

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I suspect there's a certain amount of hype going on. More active flares that were directed towards us have caused no disruption at all in the past.The Torygraph appears to be scaremongering somewhat excessively. .

I have to agree... the statement below is indeed fact and will happen... sometime..... but I don't think the next 48 hours events are going to be quite the next armagedon. Maybe just a really good light show for those at higher latitudes.

Scientists have warned that a really big solar eruption could destroy satellites and wreck power and communications grids around the globe if it happened today.

Edited by kar999

Posted

A few of hours or so, max. And I'll bet that none of us actually notice any of the effects that it's supposed to have on satellites. Someone in the media is doing some vast over-egging.

Posted

A few of hours or so, max. And I'll bet that none of us actually notice any of the effects that it's supposed to have on satellites. Someone in the media is doing some vast over-egging.

Thanks for the info.

I have to agree that it does seem like a huge overeaction, (Now I've said that, no doubt it will destroy all communications! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif)

Posted

It is very over estimated, CME's happen ALL the time, nothing new, just thats this is a big one which isnt confined to one place, its widespread, so causes a little excitement and fear mongering to say the least.

You don't have to check the internet to find out when the Northern Lights might be visible from where you are, you can make your own magnetometer to act as a detector. You needn't be a rocket scientist to do it!

There are two different detectors:

The pop-bottle detector

The compass detector

The pop-bottle-detector is very easy to make, and very easy to use. The compass-detector uses a simple op amp circuit with a negative feedback loop and is suitable to be used with a data logging device, or other voltage measuring device. See further information about where to obtain the parts and details of the original designs.

Pop Bottle

Compass

Posted

A C3 flare is nothing to write home about. I would say NASA's response is more to do

with the sun being so quite for so long and also their over hyped scaremongering story

several weeks back about solar storms, so for all the populas out their that have very

limited knowledge about solar activity and weather will be applauding NASA for

something that is really a non event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Should be clearer tonight so I will keep my eyes peeled.

Posted

Agreed cooling climate! It's all hype, this time. C-class flares are relatively minor events on the space environment. What will be much more interesting to look out for as activity rises to the next peak are M-Class (10x more powerful than a C-class flare), and X-class flares (10x more powerful than M-class), and proton events as well. During the last cycle there were a number of huge X-class flares and proton events, which produced major geomagnetic storms - they are the ones that worry electronic equipment and power grids. Still nice to see some potential for geomagnetic activity though, shame it was cloudy last night!

sss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yeah northern lights, but not looking forward to the blackout bits?

Has it already hit?

Posted

Posted

Just been reading that the sun is almost at peak activity level?

Is this true? After reading this thread I would of thought it was entering a low?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks for the info.....will be looking northwards tonight :nonono:

Posted

I might have a drive upto Cannock Chase, should get a good view up there if there is anything to see.

Posted
Hi Backtrack

We are slowly climbing up the activity charts, but even at peak (2-5 years away) it will not be in the range that it was in the 90's.

Todays geomagnetic storm is just the result of a sunspot breaking down and the resultant magnetic field throwing 'stuff' in our direction. Interestingly a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) is more likely to cause us aggro is it has a southerly magnetic bias, this one has, so there'll be quite a few power engineers with squeaky bums tonight. This is a reasonable size CME, so although we may get some Northern lights, I'd be surprised if it caused too many problems.

For chances of Northern Lights check out http://solarcycle24.com/oval.htm

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Solar flares tonight mean that the Northern Lights might be seen much further South than usual. Any hope at all for the South coast???? http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/acute.gif

Great thunderstorm this afternoon and the first decent rainfall for several months.

Kate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Wow, just been reading about this "The end of the world" as some are saying http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tease.gif. Hoping to have some clear sky's tonight and tomorrow night for the second flare,it would be fantastic to see this so far south and even to film/photograph it...we'll see eh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Solar & Aurora activity thread this way peeps.....-------------> link

Posted

Wouldn't the Solar Peak mean the UV index etc will end up much higher than it is normally?

Don't think were see anything tonight this far south, its not like the cloud plans on breaking up either from the looks of things.

Posted

I thought the BBC would have an article about it, surprisingly there is absolutely nothing.

Posted

Anyone any clue as to the best viewing time tonight??

Posted

Skies are clearing here Conor,they usually do at night,although today and yesterday have seen much more blue skies.

Now the last time I saw anything like this in summer was way back in 1990 august 21st,the only time I`ve seen the aurora in summer,next 2 nights are possible then,as they saw it in denmark and Michigan last night.

Scotland is the better chance though,but this is very early,so 11pm onwards I`ll take a lookout for definate.

Once seen never forgotten. :D