Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

looking at the current aurora oval on spaceweather i see it just below 60.0N I hope you guys up the top end have some clear skies tonight might be worth having a look out side

Hurrahh!! It's been a long time coming, but some nice pix from Scotland and Northern Ireland!

Well Done Guys. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=John-Gray-IMG_5722-Large_1266267701.jpg

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Martin-McKenna-LONEOS-AURORA-4_1266279257.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Its amazing how after all the activity over the last couple of weeks I was expecting the sun to keep on churning out spots, m class flares, flux to keep on rising, but instead it all seems to have died down. Flux is dropping currently 88, the 2 visable spots are quiet.

Maybe its run out of puff & catching its breath before more activity???

Edited by SteveB

Posted

Its amazing how after all the activity over the last couple of weeks I was expecting the sun to keep on churning out spots, m class flares, flux to keep on rising, but instead it all seems to have died down. Flux is dropping currently 88, the 2 visable spots are quiet.

Maybe its run out of puff & catching its breath before more activity???

http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

post-8552-12664314590017_thumb.gif

Posted

Solar activity has tapered of again with only sunspot1049 visible and in decline.

Will more spots appear or will we return to deep minimum?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Solar activity has tapered of again with only sunspot1049 visible and in decline.

lol last time i said we could be heading deep minimum gain it went bananas lol but certainly looking weak again not much activity of the farside aswell.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Nice to see someone posting again in here Steve, yes I keep reading about the decline of 1049 on various sites. Although the pictures of the sun look quite active, are they old pics that I'm looking at I wonder? Should there be more activity then at this stage, the Catania- New Ice Age site and another one I look at keeps saying that the sun remains very quite. :)

post-3094-12668739618717_thumb.png

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

lol last time i said we could be heading deep minimum gain it went bananas lol but certainly looking weak again not much activity of the farside aswell.:rolleyes:

[/quote

Could it possibly go spotless again I wonder?

Posted

Typical, just as I speak 1049 is growing again.

Still it should rotate out of view in the next day or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Remind me again why you guys want a quiet Sun? I forget..

...for a return to decent winters... :cold::cold::whistling:

Posted

I have zero interest in an active sun. Not interested in how it helps with boosting radio signals or great auroral shows.

As this is a weather site & there is a link to a quiet sun and colder winters (how ever tentative that is) then the quieter the better & longer so as we can test that theory out.

Bring on a Dalton/Maunder style minimumPosted Image

Why do you like an active sun Mondy?

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I have zero interest in an active sun. Not interested in how it helps with boosting radio signals or great auroral shows.

As this is a weather site & there is a link to a quiet sun and colder winters (how ever tentative that is) then the quieter the better & longer so as we can test that theory out.

lol i think most of us have the same sort of motive to why we want a low activity and i can honestly say its worked so far so good also remember we have had a fairly active volcanic spell through 2009/2008 this helps to.

theres noway an active sun is helping to cool off things absolutely cetain that during similar minimums the earth has cooled of and if you think the over all warming of our earth over the past two decades where during high activity on the sun.

its certain in my eyes this and the next solar cycle could be the most intresting times in earth recent history since the dalton and maunder minimum,

its also intresting to see the rift thats being caused in the global warming camp withscience really taken the heat right now.

i wonder if things flip the oposite colder then what then more charges to help warm our planet i really think it will be hard to stop cooling once the seas cool it will cause all kinds of knock on effect.

the northern hemisphere has been showing cooling but in parts but this i would think is where it will all start it looks like it is but we will know for sure in the next few years,

if summer turns out like last and next winter like this year or cooler then id start to wonder whether the great global warming scam will come to a big head.

but im wondering whether there is any truth in any of this its a waiting game.:cold:

Posted

http://www.spaceweat...ek2up9qs5uuata4

Whaddya reckon to this,Mondy? It's called a Hyder flare and are none too common. Had a quick poke around and apparently this is the biggest ever recorded (true or false I don't know) for what that's worth,though if I was an alarmist I'd say ol' Sol's awoken from his deep sleep in a shocking mood and is limbering up to take us all out in 2012 Posted Image !

Posted

You answered the question in your reply. The bold bit is why I'm interested.

http://www.spaceweat...ek2up9qs5uuata4

Whaddya reckon to this,Mondy? It's called a Hyder flare and are none too common. Had a quick poke around and apparently this is the biggest ever recorded (true or false I don't know) for what that's worth,though if I was an alarmist I'd say ol' Sol's awoken from his deep sleep in a shocking mood and is limbering up to take us all out in 2012 Posted Image !

If it collapses we are doomed!

Sheez, I sound like Grey Wolf :unknw:

Posted

Fair do's, each to their own.

Posted

From Spaceweather,

"New sunspot 1050 is anchoring one end of an enormous magnetic filament. Another new sunspot, not yet numbered, is emerging over the sun's northeastern limb. Image credit: SOHO/MDI "

http://www.spaceweather.com/

More about this huge filament and the posibility of a Hyder flare from link

Posted

Ignoring impacts on climate, boosting radio signals and aurora for a time we all should be aware of an active sun or even just a major flare from a relatively inactive sun.

Technology has moved on so rapidly in the last 10 years and a large solar flare has the potential to wreck havoc across the globe in a very devastating manner. We rely so much on electricity, satellites and mobile electonics for social, ecomonic and personal use.

Major Power cuts, disrupting water supply, GPS and communication breakdowns, failures in vital electonic equipment, hospitals etc. The financial markets would grind to a halt.

It may not be armagedon, but you can just see the chavs sitting outside MacDs wondering why they cant get a signal on their mobile and that their sat nav wont show them the way home. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

One benefit would be that the bickering would stop in the Model Output thread.. as, due to satellite breakdowns and computer failures there wouldn't be any model outputs to discuss! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cray.gif

Edited by kar999

Posted

Ignoring impacts on climate, boosting radio signals and aurora for a time we all should be aware of an active sun or even just a major flare from a relatively inactive sun.

Technology has moved on so rapidly in the last 10 years and a large solar flare has the potential to wreck havoc across the globe in a very devastating manner. We rely so much on electricity, satellites and mobile electonics for social, ecomonic and personal use.

Major Power cuts, disrupting water supply, GPS and communication breakdowns, failures in vital electonic equipment, hospitals etc. The financial markets would grind to a halt.

It may not be armagedon, but you can just see the chavs sitting outside MacDs wondering why they cant get a signal on their mobile and that their sat nav wont show them the way home. :mellow:

One benefit would be that the bickering would stop in the Model Output thread.. as, due to satellite breakdowns and computer failures there wouldn't be any model outputs to discuss! :shok:

http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif You are joking aren't you?

Are you? http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif

MMM, so is the sun now officially active then, or very active?

Posted

:) You are joking aren't you?

Are you? :)

Errrr..... No!! :)

I remember the major power outage in Canada in 1989. We are far more reliant on electronic technology now than then.

During other recent solar storms the Astronauts in the ISS spacestation were moved to the thickest part of the craft to protect them from solar radiation and transatlantic aircraft flights, which normally go over the pole, were diverted further south to protect the crew and passsengers for the same reason.

It doesn't have to be an active sun in solar max to create these major storms. Some of the biggest flares have occured when the sun has been realivelty quiet.

New Scientist... Major solar storm could cause lasting damage

Our technologically dependent society could be brought to its knees the next time Earth is walloped by an extreme solar outburst, according to a new report.

Intense outbursts of plasma from the Sun, called coronal mass ejections, can create electromagnetic interference that plays havoc with technology. One nasty blast in 1989 knocked out the power grid in Quebec for several hours.

The effects could get much worse, according to a report by a US National Research Council committee led by Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado in Boulder and based on workshops held in May 2008 in Washington, DC.

The most powerful solar outburst on record happened in 1859. At that time, it merely disrupted telegraph communication. But if it happened today, it could cause lasting damage to electric power grids, with cascading effects on the supply of water, perishable food, medicine and other necessities, the report says.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16400-major-solar-storm-could-cause-lasting-damage.html

Posted

Excellant! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

We will have another major solar storm caused by a massive CME as sure as San Fransisco will have another massive earthquake. It might be in the next 3 to 4 years but it might be in the next 3 to 40,000 years!!!

How prepared we are, and how much we invest to avoid or minimise disaster, for both events is another story altogether.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Posted Image

Since December sunspot activity has increased significantly! The quiet sun is a distant memory and I find it very disappointing!

I want more winters like the one we've just had, not to go back to the late 1990s and early 2000s!

Karyo