Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

That's good news Steve! I have to say I was a bit discouraged with the occurence of recent sunspots but looking at the overall picture, it's easy to see that the minimum continues.

Karyo Posted Image

Indeed, I hope it continues too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Indeed, I hope it continues too.

Hi Steve

My concern is that this isn't the true minimum yet either, scheduled to bottom out after next cycle. i think we are entering Dalton proportions already and if we go deeper then Maunder it will be. Been researching certain astrophysicists like Landscheidt etc and this current cycle supports their view....indeed it is deeper sooner than even his projection. I think this current run will assist in pushing/disrupting the jet further south this month with potent NH arctic outbreaks.

BFTP

Posted

Hi BFTP, are you aware of this site http://daltonsminima.wordpress.com/.

Had an interesting article regarding similarity between the start of this minimum & the maunder minimum.

Posted

10 days blank, 253 days for 2009.

Solar activity remains at ver low levels

Posted

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/02/the-sun-falling-into-an-even-deeper-funk/#more-13611

Down, down deeper and down. 2009 looks likely to beat 2008 in the spotless day stakes!

How exciting it all is at the moment! :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Is there a website where we can see the earths distance from the sun, the axis and the 'wobble' at the current time?

I only ask, because if those 3 and the solar minimum continue into next year and we have a cool NH summer things could begin to get v. interesting.

Posted

Is there a website where we can see the earths distance from the sun, the axis and the 'wobble' at the current time?

I only ask, because if those 3 and the solar minimum continue into next year and we have a cool NH summer things could begin to get v. interesting.

Hi Dartmoor Matt, not sure if this is any help http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar?date=0&utc=2069%2F07%2F20+20%3A17%3A43&jd=2476948.34564&img=-k1&sys=-Sf&eyes=0&imgsize=600&orb=-b2&lat=50&ns=North&lon=7%B0&ew=East&hlat=90%B0&hns=North&hlon=0%B0&elements=

http://wattsupwithth...unk/#more-13611

Down, down deeper and down. 2009 looks likely to beat 2008 in the spotless day stakes!

How exciting it all is at the moment! Posted Image

It does indeed look as though 2009 will have more spotless days.

Posted

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.spaceweather.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.spaceweather.com/images/spacer.gifSPACE WEATHER

Current conditions http://www.spaceweather.com/images/spacer.gifSolar wind

speed: 241.4 km/sec

density: 0.1 protons/cm3

explanation | more data

Updated: Today at 0843 UTC

I wonder what the lowest official reading is.

Edited by cooling climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.spaceweather.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.spaceweather.com/images/spacer.gifSPACE WEATHER

Current conditions http://www.spaceweather.com/images/spacer.gifSolar wind

speed: 241.4 km/sec

density: 0.1 protons/cm3

explanation | more data

Updated: Today at 0843 UTC

I wonder what the lowest official reading is.

solar wind speed has been down near the unusually low 200 km/s this week.

11 days blank now, just a bit slow updating because there's no point.

2009 should fade out on a very quiet note.

Posted

The NASA statement in April said that even then they were the lowest in 50 years (which was when they started recording them)

What is perhaps more interesting is the brightness of the sun has dropped 0.02% at the visible wavelength and 6%! at the UV wavelength in the last 12 years. And what's happened to global temps in roughly that timespan? Posted Image

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

11 days blank 256 in 2009 76%

There is a possible sunspot showing up on the STEREO behind on the eastern limb.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm

http://spaceweather.com/

Posted

I copied this from a post on solar cycle 24.

This is what SIDC had to say about the solar wind etc.

very interesting times indeed.

SIDC today:

COMMENT: Except for a small magnetic dipole just passing the East limb

in Extreme-UV images (probably a plage without sunspots), the Sun is

featureless and is expected to remain inactive. Since early today, the

solar wind has virtually vanished, reaching exceptionally low speeds

(now at 250 km/s), low densities (< 0.1 electron/cm3) and low plasma

temperatures (< 10⁴ K), based on ACE and SOHO/MTOF data. This

leads also to exceptionally quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp=0 at many

ground stations). Those extremely quiet conditions certainly deserve

special study. Only a weak solar wind stream expected tomorrow or on

Dec.5 could restore more normal conditions, but just inducing

temporarily unsettled geomagnetic conditions.

Posted

I copied this from a post on solar cycle 24.

This is what SIDC had to say about the solar wind etc.

very interesting times indeed.

SIDC today:

COMMENT: Except for a small magnetic dipole just passing the East limb

in Extreme-UV images (probably a plage without sunspots), the Sun is

featureless and is expected to remain inactive. Since early today, the

solar wind has virtually vanished, reaching exceptionally low speeds

(now at 250 km/s), low densities (< 0.1 electron/cm3) and low plasma

temperatures (< 10⁴ K), based on ACE and SOHO/MTOF data. This

leads also to exceptionally quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp=0 at many

ground stations). Those extremely quiet conditions certainly deserve

special study. Only a weak solar wind stream expected tomorrow or on

Dec.5 could restore more normal conditions, but just inducing

temporarily unsettled geomagnetic conditions.

That is very interesting, New territory in observing our sun. Even though it's quiet, it still proves to be extremely interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Brings to mind the Python Parrot sketch.....is it dead or only sleeping?

Posted

Brings to mind the Python Parrot sketch.....is it dead or only sleeping?

Probably only sleeping :( But it is interesting to note that the next maximum is predicted to be a 'low maximum' and after 50 years of 'Grand maximums' I really do think it's only a matter of time before we see effects down here) With irradiance down by 6% already at the UV wavelengths it could well get interesting.

Posted

Probably only sleeping :( But it is interesting to note that the next maximum is predicted to be a 'low maximum' and after 50 years of 'Grand maximums' I really do think it's only a matter of time before we see effects down here) With irradiance down by 6% already at the UV wavelengths it could well get interesting.

That's true, but I hope we see a drop (no matter how small) in global temperatures soon! The sun has been quiet for a few years now and so far there has only been a leveling of global temperatures and nothing more.

Fingers crossed anyway!

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

That's true, but I hope we see a drop (no matter how small) in global temperatures soon! The sun has been quiet for a few years now and so far there has only been a leveling of global temperatures and nothing more.

Fingers crossed anyway!

Karyo

I'm inclined to think there is some sort of lag, which would tie in with the 'slowdown' beginning 12 or so years ago, and global temps levelling off in the last 9-10. But agreed, we should if it is playing ball, see a drop sooner rather than later (2-5 years?)

Posted

I'm inclined to think there is some sort of lag, which would tie in with the 'slowdown' beginning 12 or so years ago, and global temps levelling off in the last 9-10. But agreed, we should if it is playing ball, see a drop sooner rather than later (2-5 years?)

Sounds like a realistic timeframe to me. :(

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Can't remember the exact figure but roughly 75% of the Earth's surface is ocean, this acts like an enormous storage heater, I imagine it will take quite some time for any noticeable difference in atmospheric temperatures to be felt. Perhaps monitoring SST's is the way to go????

Posted

Can't remember the exact figure but roughly 75% of the Earth's surface is ocean, this acts like an enormous storage heater, I imagine it will take quite some time for any noticeable difference in atmospheric temperatures to be felt. Perhaps monitoring SST's is the way to go????

Yup, they certainly store alot more heat than the land, which radiates quite quickly (depending on the surface) but being a really poor conductor it takes along time for the oceans to a. gain heat and b. lose it.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Interesting piece on how quiet the sun is at the moment.

SIDC also finally have understood this.

4 12 2009 Sidc on Monday December 3 gave its usual daily bulletin but this time he did something very strange. Commented, with great discretion, what say we go for months and months.

We are at a minimum outstanding!

Look what SIDC writes:

Except for a small magnetic dipole in the eastern part (probably a spotless plage sun), the Sun is flat and should remain inactive.

From today, the solar wind has almost disappeared, reaching speeds exceptionally low (now at 250 km / s), (actually the minimum of the solar wind today was lower by 250 from them to the indicator reaches the speed of only 17.00 234 Km / s) a low density (<0.1 electron/cm3) and a low temperature plasma (<10 K ⁴), based on data from ACE and SOHO / MTOF.

This leads to exceptionally quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp = 0 in many ground stations). These conditions of extreme sun silent certainly deserve a special study.

Only a weak stream of solar wind is expected tomorrow or on 5 December and that could restore more normal conditions only temporarily.

End of statement.

Seem finally convinced that the condition of the sun is not normal as stubbornly tried to tell us all these months.

The low temperature plasma, this is an absolute novelty, since no one had mentioned before but the indices of IST have for years with low and decreasing trend.

http://daltonsminima.wordpress.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Steve

Thanks for link.

I have to say folks although it is quiet it is having a big effect on our climate.....but longer term I am very concerned about this current state...it is much deeper than expected. Most know my thoughts on longterm pattern...we will be in 'obvious' global cooling by 2015....and it may be sooner. This solar cycle and lunar phase suggests that. Look at the jetstream....it is more south clearly and that is a longterm trend IMHO.

BFTP

Posted

Interesting piece on how quiet the sun is at the moment.

SIDC also finally have understood this.

4 12 2009 Sidc on Monday December 3 gave its usual daily bulletin but this time he did something very strange. Commented, with great discretion, what say we go for months and months.

We are at a minimum outstanding!

Look what SIDC writes:

Except for a small magnetic dipole in the eastern part (probably a spotless plage sun), the Sun is flat and should remain inactive.

From today, the solar wind has almost disappeared, reaching speeds exceptionally low (now at 250 km / s), (actually the minimum of the solar wind today was lower by 250 from them to the indicator reaches the speed of only 17.00 234 Km / s) a low density (<0.1 electron/cm3) and a low temperature plasma (<10 K ⁴), based on data from ACE and SOHO / MTOF.

This leads to exceptionally quiet geomagnetic conditions (Kp = 0 in many ground stations). These conditions of extreme sun silent certainly deserve a special study.

Only a weak stream of solar wind is expected tomorrow or on 5 December and that could restore more normal conditions only temporarily.

End of statement.

Seem finally convinced that the condition of the sun is not normal as stubbornly tried to tell us all these months.

The low temperature plasma, this is an absolute novelty, since no one had mentioned before but the indices of IST have for years with low and decreasing trend.

http://daltonsminima.wordpress.com/

Again thanks steve, and as fred has said.. Times they are a changing :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yes times could indeed be a changing. I am particularly interested in this lag in cooling, and the more Southerly jet that we are seeing already. Yes the seas will take longer to cool down and keeping an eye on this will be fascinating.

Having dredged through some historical data, there is some evidence that the effects on the climate cooling could start to become aparent sooner rather than later, gradually to start with maybe, with things turning much colder in 3 or 4 years from now.

Quick note, Luckily I speak Italian, notice the Catania site is critisizing how quiet organisations like NASA and NOAA remain about these events, they say that eminent scientists are surely aware. Dont want to disrupt Copenhagen any more then they have been aready I would imagine.

Edited by snowray