Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

dont look much like spots to me.

Can't believe they gave it a number 1030.

Mutterings that it might belong to cycle23 because of it's reverse polarity compared to cycle24????.

I started when it became minimum as well. Your location says London and you say you are reasonably placed and have witnessed several good shows, I am in Norfolk/Suffolk and was under the impression I would be incredibly lucky to see one !? Is there hope for me yet !

I wasnt accusing you of lying I just wanted to know if you actually saw them from London !

Posted

Well after the very short lived sunspot 1030, we are back to blank day's again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Well after the very short lived sunspot 1030, we are back to blank day's again.

Hi steve, aare we still having blank days?

Posted

Hi steve, aare we still having blank days?

Nope, 1030 has re-formed & 1029 is still roaring away on the far side. 1029 will be back in view in about a weeks time. If it is still a sunspot, it will be the first to make it all away round in cycle24.

We have 50ish days left in 2009, and we need 29 of those to be blank to beat 2008 for spotless day's.

I think it is looking unlikely at the moment.

Posted

We have 50ish days left in 2009, and we need 29 of those to be blank to beat 2008 for spotless day's.

I think it is looking unlikely at the moment.

Ah, but we don't know what 2010 holds in store for us. For all we know, 2009 could turn out to have been a veritable hive of activity compared with how 2010 turns out! :clap:

Posted

Ah, but we don't know what 2010 holds in store for us. For all we know, 2009 could turn out to have been a veritable hive of activity compared with how 2010 turns out! Posted Image

I so hope it's another quiet year.

Long live the minimumPosted Image .

Posted

Do you think that it is possible?

Well the funn thing is, I don't think anybody know's, even the experts.

Personally I think we are looking at an increased period of activity, but not at high levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Well the funn thing is, I don't think anybody know's, even the experts.

Personally I think we are looking at an increased period of activity, but not at high levels.

yep upturn looks 99% cert,

but how high is the million dollar question?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

What is expected to occur over the next couple of years then?

Are we in for a small solar increase and then another deeper solar low thereafter?

I have heard so much of the dalton/muander minimum but what do we need to look for to expect a low on that scale?

Sorry if it seems like silly questions i just have no clue when it comes to the sun although i would love another deep low for our future winters to be chilly.Posted Image

Posted

Oh dear! The biggest and most active sunspot of the year (number 1029)is coming back to haunt us! Really impressive it has managed to travel all around the sun and it is still going strong by the look of things.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

By the way, where can I check the solar flux?

Karyo

Posted

Oh dear! The biggest and most active sunspot of the year (number 1029)is coming back to haunt us! Really impressive it has managed to travel all around the sun and it is still going strong by the look of things.

Karyo

You could do worse than look here

http://www.solarcycle24.com/

Currently 73

Posted

Karyo

still deep in the minimum but yes very impressive may not make it,

may not even have any spots so intresting stuff.

but over all it seems the activity is slowly rising but still very very low.:drinks:

Posted

Many experts are predicting Cycle24 to be a short sycle, say around 9yrs. If so, then the first spot of cycle24 was spotted in 2004, which makes us around 5yrs into the cycle. This could be peak activity in this cycle right now. If activity decreases over the next few years again, then that prediction could be correct.

The problem with this current solar minimum is that since space age observations of the sun, scientists have only observed solar maximums, and strong ones at that.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

Many experts are predicting Cycle24 to be a short sycle, say around 9yrs. If so, then the first spot of cycle24 was spotted in 2004, which makes us around 5yrs into the cycle. This could be peak activity in this cycle right now. If activity decreases over the next few years again, then that prediction could be correct.

The problem with this current solar minimum is that since space age observations of the sun, scientists have only observed solar maximums, and strong ones at that.

agree very much with this more input is needed i think this cycle has started to ask some questions which ofcoarse need answers so plenty of research going on right now.

so it will be intresting to see what results turn up and what happens with our sun.http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gifhttp://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Many experts are predicting Cycle24 to be a short sycle, say around 9yrs. If so, then the first spot of cycle24 was spotted in 2004, which makes us around 5yrs into the cycle. This could be peak activity in this cycle right now. If activity decreases over the next few years again, then that prediction could be correct. The problem with this current solar minimum is that since space age observations of the sun, scientists have only observed solar maximums, and strong ones at that.

I disagree with that, I think a long low cycle is more likely with a peak SSN of around 60. Remember, we only passed the minimum a year ago so I think the idea of a peak is a bit premature. In Sunspot terms the current activity is totally insignificant, we're still in deep minimum but slowly activity is increasing. An interesting presentation from Leif Svalgaard here http://www.leif.org/research/Predicting%20the%20Solar%20Cycle.ppt (apologies if it's already been posted).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Low solar cycles are longer in length than very active ones. Schwabe cycles are approx 11 yrs long but cab vary between as short as 9+ years and 13 years....the shorter ones being high peak cycles. It is interesting period for sure.

BFTP

Posted

We have had a couple of spots recently with reverse polarity. It could just be rogue spots or it could be cycle 23 or 25.

What ever the case, as BFTP Say's it is an interesting period.

3 days blank, but a new spot could be forming ahead of 1029 which is coming back into view. 1029 current has no spots.

242 days 2009 76%

http://spaceweather.com/

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

The earlier ones were likely cycle 23, the most recent one was probably just a reverse polarity cycle 24. I've read comments from Leif saying that around 1 in 30 sunspots has the wrong polarity.

Posted

Sun is blank again & we should record a blank day tomorrow.

Found this interesting site, it's in Italian, but you can use google translate.

It's updated everyday & covers solar activity. space & also global weather observations.

http://daltonsminima.wordpress.com/

Edited by SteveB

Posted

We have had a couple of spots recently with reverse polarity. It could just be rogue spots or it could be cycle 23 or 25.

What ever the case, as BFTP Say's it is an interesting period.

3 days blank, but a new spot could be forming ahead of 1029 which is coming back into view. 1029 current has no spots.

242 days 2009 76%

Definitely not cycle 25: that's about 10 years away. They'll be either reverse polarity 24 or the remnants of 23.

Posted

Definitely not cycle 25: that's about 10 years away. They'll be either reverse polarity 24 or the remnants of 23.

With the first spots of cycle24 appearing in 2004, and the "last" spots of cycle23 in "2008" by my reckoning we are about 5yrs into cycle24. Another 10yrs puts us in a 14yr cycle, I doubt that.

I reckon another 5-7yrs tops.

1 blank day.

243 blank days in 2009 76%