Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

The sunspot is just about coming into view, and it looks a big one.

Still another long stretch of spotless days in the bag, 19 in total.

Hopefully this activity is on the wain.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm

Edited by SteveB

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The sunspot is just about coming into view, and it looks a big one.

Still another long stretch of spotless days in the bag, 19 in total.

Hopefully this activity is on the wain.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm

It needn't matter too much if we see another spot or two. They are to be expected. As you say, as long as activity keeps waining then all is good.

And that will have good implications for the maxima which will determine howPosted Image we get.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

It needn't matter too much if we see another spot or two. They are to be expected. As you say, as long as activity keeps waining then all is good.

And that will have good implications for the maxima which will determine howPosted Image we get.

solar wind picked up big time 450 now.

and that sunspot is massive i mean huge sure this is not good purely because of the size of this spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I imagine 1026 is the perfect point to start the ascendancy into the sc24 max (according to Hathaway's latest punt), as ever ,time alone will tell (it seems) but the good folk on here who seem to know say that sun spot numbers pick up quite quickly once we enter the cycle proper (and loose sc23 remnants)Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

It's a monster by the looks of it :-)

http://gong2.nso.edu/dailyimages/

Posted Image

A monster?! it really doesn't look that big to me!

id say it's the kind of sunspot that will get a number for a few days though.. before fizzling out. :rolleyes:

Posted

A monster?! it really doesn't look that big to me!

id say it's the kind of sunspot that will get a number for a few days though.. before fizzling out. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

yes but what you have to rememebr is this spot has been going for nearly a week now and still going strong.

Posted

Two weeks ;-)

Latest:

oh my this i feel is a upturn and compaired to the last couple of years a big up turn i hope im wrong.http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Posted

The Sun now has two active regions. One new formed has formed in the northern hemisphere of the disc.

PS, Sunspot count is 12. I suspect it will be higher once the new regioin is properly assessed by the space agencies

Posted Image

Edited by Mondy

Posted

intresting space weather seem to think this is the start of a upturn aswell.

as i said i just huntch that because of the size of the new spot and the length its stuck around is telling us the minimum may very soon come to a end.

so i expect within the next 6months the minimum would become a distant memory i gotta feeling this minimum will even outfox nasa new minimum predictions.

im pretty sure that because this minimum has been so deep and unexpected that its outfoxed many agencies but i expect the future outcome for cycle24 to be well above the 90spot mark id say around 150 to 180.

we will have to wait and see,

im dissapointed and like climate change just goes to show sometimes it dont go the way you may wish for.

and will the next cycle be even lower than cycle24?

i cant predict that but gotta feeling sun is gonna do the oposite.

http://spaceweather.com/

Edited by badboy657

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I have to say that some posts are showing a knee jerk reaction and a lack of understanding too. There is always a maxima and minima EVEN IN GRAND MINIMA phases. This sunspot is not an issue and had to come at some stage. There will be an increase but how big no one knows for sure. The way it has behaved and the predictions by many top astrophysicists is that we are heading towards a GRAND MINIMA. It is therefore IMHO very unlikely that this sun will explode to high activity [activity yes but much less than 23 and probably more than 25].

And for those that are really concerned about sunspots, thay are a part of the picture BUT not the be all and end all it would seem.

[http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090917131556.htm"]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090917131556.htm

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

I have to say that some posts are showing a knee jerk reaction and a lack of understanding too. There is always a maxima and minima EVEN IN GRAND MINIMA phases. This sunspot is not an issue and had to come at some stage. There will be an increase but how big no one knows for sure. The way it has behaved and the predictions by many top astrophysicists is that we are heading towards a GRAND MINIMA. It is therefore IMHO very unlikely that this sun will explode to high activity [activity yes but much less than 23 and probably more than 25].

And for those that are really concerned about sunspots, thay are a part of the picture BUT not the be all and end all it would seem.

[http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090917131556.htm"]http://www.scienceda...90917131556.htm

BFTP

You perhaps do not realise, or haven't read, why I'm more interested in sunspots than anything else. I don't care about GRAND MINIMA, Solar Minimum or whatever else the majority bang on about here.

I'm a radio amateur operator and I rely on sunspots to enhance my chances of contacting long distance stations. The more sunspots, the better. End of. So you will excuse me if i show a certain level of excitement when a large spot (or any spot) shows. Sunspots & Radio

Btw, how's about we keep this topic Solar and Aurora Activity Chat. I note there is a Solar/Climatic thread in the playground of Climate Change.

Edited by Mondy

Posted

[http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090917131556.htm"]http://www.scienceda...90917131556.htm

BFTP

Yes i agree you could be right anyway better not go into to much detail this is the Solar and Aurora Activity Chat.http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif:lol:

truely a great post very informative piece of information cheers BFTP:)

Edited by badboy657

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

You perhaps do not realise, or haven't read, why I'm more interested in sunspots than anything else. I don't care about GRAND MINIMA, Solar Minimum or whatever else the majority bang on about here.

I'm a radio amateur operator and I rely on sunspots to enhance my chances of contacting long distance stations. The more sunspots, the better. End of. So you will excuse me if i show a certain level of excitement when a large spot (or any spot) shows. Sunspots & Radio

Btw, how's about we keep this topic Solar and Aurora Activity Chat. I note there is a Solar/Climatic thread in the playground of Climate Change.

To be fair I don't think the post was aimed at you since you gave quite a balanced and measured response I felt.

And this is exactly the right place to talk about the minima as it is solar activity by definition and strongly feel it shouldn't be booted out. When there is speculation about how it effects the climate then it becomes discussion for the climate change section.

Edited by fozi999

Posted

Another area of sunspots has formed in the high latitudes, will be numbered 1027 soon.

Looks like a active period is on the cards, could we be heading to the maximum of this minimum???.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Another area of sunspots has formed in the high latitudes, will be numbered 1027 soon.

Looks like a active period is on the cards, could we be heading to the maximum of this minimum???.

If this is to be the case , Were does this minimum compare .

Posted

I think this is already the quietest since 1913.

Posted

Is it coincidence today is the beginning of autumn in the northern hemisphere and spring in the southern hemisphere, and we have spots on the disc of the Sun on both hemispheres too ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Mondy

Now that is a knee jerk reaction, wasn't thinking about you but now I am :clap:

BFTP

Posted

Mondy

Now that is a knee jerk reaction, wasn't thinking about you but now I am :shok:

BFTP

intresting to see that there is now 2 spots but infact there not as big as i first thought.:shok:

with spaceweather.com still suggesting this is still deep minimum soon spots will vanish again or atleast the first one maybe another week and it will be blank again.

and the auroas have been putting on some pretty good shows the last few years long may this continue.;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well with two spots from the new cycle I'd be hoping for a fast ascendency into cycle 24 proper. The lull may have surprised the experts but I don't think to the point that we are looking at anything 'extra special' in the way of mins. Hathaways latest revision has a sterady increase from now until max. We shall see!Posted Image

Oh! and Mond's I hope we do regain our spotty sun in time for the dark of winter, both for the chance of Aurora's and good com's for you!!

Posted

Well with two spots from the new cycle I'd be hoping for a fast ascendency into cycle 24 proper. The lull may have surprised the experts but I don't think to the point that we are looking at anything 'extra special' in the way of mins. Hathaways latest revision has a sterady increase from now until max. We shall see!Posted Image

Oh! and Mond's I hope we do regain our spotty sun in time for the dark of winter, both for the chance of Aurora's and good com's for you!!

maybe not extra special but from what ive been reading this is only the start and still lowest in hundred years so intresting stuff and even more intresting future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

we've seen false dawns JUST like this one before, so lets not get too excited just yet. If solar activity is on the increase (at flipping last) perhaps it will still be long and slow most likely 1.5 x slower than a modern average cycle.

75 solar flux is good, it actually breaks a record just about, but its still low.