Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Lets hope so. don't want any nasty spots.

Posted

I'd personally class these "spots" as spots. They are clearly evident on the disc. Wonder how NASA and SIDC will deal with them?

Posted Image

Of real interest is the current Stereo Behind images. There is activity there, but so low in the Sun's southern hemisphere it could easily be Cycle 23 activity - which proves NOBODY knows what's going on with the Sun.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Certainly looks like cycle 23 to me......very strange!

Posted

14 spotless days according to http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm.

Interesting front page on Space weather regarding the sunspot on the far side of the sun. They say it belongs to cycle24 and should come into view on the 20th.

Still time for it to disappear, but it looks very active, so might not do.

Posted

14 spotless days according to http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm.

Interesting front page on Space weather regarding the sunspot on the far side of the sun. They say it belongs to cycle24 and should come into view on the 20th.

Still time for it to disappear, but it looks very active, so might not do.

Yes, there is a high chance the sunspot will last till the 20th considering how active it looks!

It is interesting what spaceweather says about the new technology by 2011 will mean that no sunspots will be getting missed so a new system for counting may be needed! This may mean, that oeriods with no sunspots will be shorter as we will be able to count even spots on the other side of the sun that are now getting missed!

Karyo

Posted

Yes, there is a high chance the sunspot will last till the 20th considering how active it looks!

It is interesting what spaceweather says about the new technology by 2011 will mean that no sunspots will be getting missed so a new system for counting may be needed! This may mean, that periods with no sunspots will be shorter as we will be able to count even spots on the other side of the sun that are now getting missed!

Karyo

Yeah still not convinced about this new counting. when the new system comes online in 2011, if they are going to start counting sunspots on the far side, then the new counts should have their own records, and not added to any previous records.

And also still observe the sun as they did in the 1900's and keep those records going too.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Not going to be blank for long, well in fact it's only been v.quiet our side of the sun the other side been getting increasingly more active, solar flux has been static at the slightly higher 69.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Not going to be blank for long, well in fact it's only been v.quiet our side of the sun the other side been getting increasingly more active, solar flux has been static at the slightly higher 69.

in the deepest minimums of the past there has always been flurries of activity so this is nothing out of the ordinary im sure there plenty more blank days to come yet considering where not even in the true minimum yet.

although im not convinced that cycle 25 will be even deeper than 24 so where have to wait and see what happens.:D

Posted

15 days, if we can hold on for another 5 days we would add this run to the lists of 20 or more spotless days.

Its a big IF though.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm

Posted

also note 81% of this year has been blank thats impressive stuff could this drop with are new found farside activity i hope not but will be intresting to see.

Posted

Spotless Days vs Cycle 23 minimum graph

http://www.solarcycle24.com/graphs/sunspotgraph.gif

It show just how inactive this minimum has been compared to the last one 12 years ago.

Posted

Not sure how much longer we can go without reccording a sunspot.

Activity seems to be increasing all the time.

http://solarcycle24.com/

Edited by SteveB

Posted

i know im sad now im hoping this does not explode into higher than 90 maximum i gotta bad feeling this maybe the start of a return of normal solar activity in other words just a blip in activity.:wallbash:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I'm wondering if due to where the activity is, it might still be C23 stuff?

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

It's old sunspot 1024 from twice time round, I think. Has done two complete rotations and now coming into view this third time it seems larger than before. If it's proved true it is 1024, it has SC24 polarity, albeit in a SC23 location - so minimum is probably passing/passed about now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Once more

Even in a grand minima there is a maxima and minima Schwabe cycle. Its all about how quiet the maxima is during that cycle. The sun will come to life a bit. This isn't a blip...its the start.

Warmer oceans, colder skies...a deadly combination.

BFTP

Posted

Moved onto 16 spotless days.

It's true what BFTP say's, we will get sunspot activity in a minima, even dalton and Maunder had activity, so it is to be expected.

Still prefere to be completely spotless thoughPosted Image .

Edited by SteveB

Posted

that active region on the suns eastern horizon looks the biggest we have seen in some years.

now im starting to get worried,

i gotta bad feeling this region will start the spread for more activity until we reach the maximum which was expected to happen.

but judging by the size of the active area right now it looks like the sun could kick back into HIGH action.

but once again i hope im wrong.http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Posted

that active region on the suns eastern horizon looks the biggest we have seen in some years.

now im starting to get worried,

i gotta bad feeling this region will start the spread for more activity until we reach the maximum which was expected to happen.

but judging by the size of the active area right now it looks like the sun could kick back into HIGH action.

but once again i hope im wrong.Posted Image

I think you worry to much, we were always going to get activity, and yes this looks like a large area of activity, but it could easily die of again by next weekend.

Posted

Yes it does indeed look like a large sunspot will come into view any day soon. But we are still spotless, & have moved onto 18 days.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/index2.htm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

large sunspot is approaching, in fact it's been there for about a week now, pretty impressive in itself [but just so happens not to be on the earth-side]

Background flare activity and solar flux are increasing.

Weather or not you want activity [i'm not sure now] this one certainly deserves to be counted!!

I suspect it is getting old now though, and could vanish before it rotates into view in 2 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Does anyone remember reading some research saying that when sunspots occurred during the Maunder they tendered to be very large? Or am I making it up?

I haven't the time to investigate at the moment but it might be something to think about considering the current activity.

Posted

Does anyone remember reading some research saying that when sunspots occurred during the Maunder they tendered to be very large? Or am I making it up?

I haven't the time to investigate at the moment but it might be something to think about considering the current activity.

Here is a wood cut of the telescope that Hevelius and his wife used.

http://en.wikipedia....nn_Hevelius.jpg

This source has some drawings of the early sunspot record.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EBTZ4LdSfhwC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=Hevelius+sunspots&source=bl&ots=g2sUx95IiA&sig=DCwUMFluM0lQaG7zn-3TcsCeaAk&hl=en&ei=qMy2StyWFoKasgPV5u3RDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=Hevelius%20sunspots&f=true

Edited by gigabite