Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread

Guest Viking141

Guest Viking141
Ongoing activity - Tungurahua - update

Latest info from the Washington VAAC - ash cloud could not be observed by the GEOS-8 satellite due to cloud cover, however, the Instituto Geofisical reported an ash cloud trending Northwards at 1930 UTC.

If you want to follow the seismic activity from Tungurahua you can visit the link below to the Ecuadorean Instituto Geoficsica (IGEPN):

IGEPN

Click on the link called "senacas sismicas", scroll down to "Volcan Tungurahua" and click on the hyperlink for todays date.

Guest Viking141

Tungurahua - Update

Latest update from the Washington VAAC issued 1115 UTC today- Satellite imagery from the GOES -12 satellite has established a large ash plume extending some 30 nautical miles SSW of the volcano.

According to the Instituo Geofisicio (IG-EPN) increased activity has continued in the last 24hrs with an ash plume extending up to 2km in height, continued "Strombolian" activity and some 65 long-period earthquakes*, emissions have varied from moderate to major.

(* long-period earthquakes are indicative of increased gas pressure in a volcanic system and are considered a key sign of an imminent increase in activity).

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141
Here's a decent volcano webcam page, with regularly updated images and links to a few livecams:

http://glaciercaves.com/html/volcano_webcams.html

More often than not, it's the volcanoes which aren't being watched which are most interesting. :lol:

:)P

Tks for that P3, nice one! Incidentally, I may have found a website that could answer your question re sulphate emissions:

TOMS website

It has a whole raft of info about SO2 as well as other emissions with some good charts and graphs and includes links to research papers on Volcanic SO2 emissions. Hope this is useful to you.

:nonono:

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141

Alert issued for two Indonesian volcanos

The Indonesian Pusat Vulkanologi dan Mitigasi Bencana Geologi of the Vulcanological Survey of Indonesia (Directorate of Vulcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation)) has raised the alert state at two volcanos to Aviation Colour Code ORANGE and suggest that eruption could be due within the next 2 weeks.

The volcanos in question are Talang on the island of Sumatra and Karangetang in the Sanghie Islands.

Karangetang (also know locally as Api Siau) lies on the northern end of the island of Siau, north of Sulawesi and is one of Indonesias most active volcanos. Frequently, Karangetangs eruptions are explosive and accompanied by pyroclastic flows and lahars. By contrast, Talang has been relatively quiet, with the last major bout of explosive activity going back to the 19th century.However, it did burst into some life in April 2005 with an eruption which lasted through to mid July 2005, which measured a maximum of VEI 2, including some phreatic explosions.

I hope to have more information on this later.

post-4448-1161709157.jpgpost-4448-1161709167_thumb.jpg

Karangetang (left) & Talang (right) both pictures courtesy of Global Volcanism Program

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141

Tungurahua activity contunues to increase

Latest reports from the IG-EPN in Ecuador suggest a further increase in activity at Tungurahua overnight. 115 long period earthquakes were detected as well as 35 tremors due to gas emissions, an increase in "strombolian" activity in the crater and an ash plume extending upwards of 3km drifting Westerly. Reports of ash fall have been received from Chogluntus, Manzano, Cahaugi Bajo, Palestina & Penipe. IG-EPN are warning of the possibility of pyroclastic flows & lahars.

post-4448-1161768413.jpg

The above photo was taken on 18/10/06 courtesy of Diego Barba, IG-EPN

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141

Tungurahua - update

Latest advisory from Washington VAAC states large ash cloud from Tungurahua observed at 1115 UTC today. Ash cloud was between 10000-24000 ft high and was approx 8 nautical miles across - heading in a westerly direction.

Fourpeaked activity continues

Fourpeaked volcano in Alaska continues to exhibit low levels of earthquake activity,along with emissions of steam and gas. Interestingly, Fourpeaked is not know to have erupted in recnt history, indeed the date of the last eruption is not know. The precise nature of this volcano is also unknow but it is thought to be explosive.

post-4448-1161793241.jpg

Picture shows Fourpeaked venting steam and SO2, taken yesterday. Courtesy Evan Thoms, AVO

Guest Viking141

Just to let you all know I wont be able to update this thread for the next week as Im off down to the mainland for my Coastguard exams. I shall be back on Friday 3rd November. See ya!

:blink:

Posted

Mt. Etna in Sicily is active at the moment; there was activity yesterday. there is also a live cam link.

The report below is courtesy of the SWVRC:

Continuous"Live-Cam" of Mt. Etna.

Latest satellite image of Mt. Etna.

As of the 26th of October it has been reported to SWVRC by the Instituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV) reported that at the foot of the Southern crater East, the lava flow emitted for Monday evening on a new fracture on the southern slope with semi-slope of the crater is finished. The flow of the lava circumvented Sudestino (a small cone of activity appeared in April 2000) and took the direction east to traverse some ten metres. Stopped also is the explosive activity at the top of the crater, it remains the overflowing of lava since the effusive mouth at 2850m and which always moves towards and inside Valle del Bove. The face of cast joined Monti Centenari.

Mt. Etna, towering above Catania, Sicily's second largest city, has one of the world's longest documented records of historical volcanism, dating back to 1500 BC. Historical lava flows cover much of the surface of this massive basaltic stratovolcano, the highest and most voluminous in Italy. Two styles of eruptive activity typically occur at Etna. Persistent explosive eruptions, sometimes with minor lava emissions, take place from one or more of the three prominent summit craters, the Central Crater, NE Crater, and SE Crater. Flank eruptions, typically with higher effusion rates, occur less frequently and originate from fissures that open progressively downward from near the summit. A period of more intense intermittent explosive eruptions from Etna's summit craters began in 1995. The active volcano is monitored by the Instituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Volcanologia (INGV) in Catania.

The volcano Mt. Etna is currently at the ORANGEalert level.

Good luck, Viking.

Edit; here's the livecam link: http://www.etnatrekking.com/webcam_b1/index.php

Edited by parmenides3

Posted

Tunguruhua is still rumbling away, alert level orange, as is Etna. the latest report, courtesy of SWVRC:

As of the 27th of October, the Instituto Geofisico (IG), after being translated from Spanish, reports that the seismic activity has experienced a reduction as far as number of events and amplitude or energy of the tremor. The emissions continue with an ash content of slight to moderate. The columns have varied in height from 500 m to 2 km over the crater. The winds follow towards the west. Ash fall was reported in Santa Fe de Gala'n, the zone between Penipe and Bilbao and in Guaranda, in this last city, very slight.

In last 24 hours, a total of 15 events of long period (LP) and 25 episodes of tremor of emission have been entered. In general, a diminution in the size or energy of these events has been observed. The night of yesterday, during the emissions incandescence could not be observed. The winds follow in the direction of the west and ash fall was reported in Santa Fe de Gala'n and a zone between Penipe and Bilbao during afternoon of yesterday. The Red Cross of Guaranda reported a slight ash fall in her city during the night. Today ash fall was reported in Chontapamba.

The other volcano which is still fairly lively at the moment is Arenal, in Costa Rica, which is also on orange alert. Mayon has been reduced to alert status 1 (the 'normal' state, and appears to have calmed down since the activity over the last couple of months.

More soon,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Just to let you all know I wont be able to update this thread for the next week as Im off down to the mainland for my Coastguard exams. I shall be back on Friday 3rd November. See ya!

:)

Good luck with the eggs and Hams!

P3, thanks for the Etna cam, looks quite busy doesn't it?

Guest Viking141

Hi all, Im back! Rather pooped after all the travelling so I will do an update to this either tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks to those who contributed in my absence and thanks also for the good luck wishes which obviously did the the trick as I passed!

Posted
Hi all, Im back! Rather pooped after all the travelling so I will do an update to this either tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks to those who contributed in my absence and thanks also for the good luck wishes which obviously did the the trick as I passed!

Well done, Viking; we all knew you would, really. Does the new bikini fit? It was a lifeguard's exam, wasn't it?

Hasn't been much to report in the past few days; very much buiness as usual with the volcanoes. Interesting to see three in Guatemala all going off at the same time though; one wonders if there might be a 'biggie' on the cards there; any thoughts?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A beautiful 'live' webcam shot of Alaska's volcano Fourpeaks.

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webcam/webcam.php?cam=Fourpeaked

Edited by Northern Light

Guest Viking141

ROUND UP OF VOLCANIC ACTIVITY

TUNGURAHUA

Latest reports suggest that this volcano is continuing in its current eruptive phase. IG-EPN reports that Tungurahua continues with vigorous emissions of water vapour and gas, with columns reaching as high as 3km. At 0244 hrs local time this morning, large incandescent blocks were hurled some700m down the volcanos flanks.

Ashfall has now been reported in several towns and villages, including Penipe (8km SW), Bilbao (8km W), Cotalo (13km NW) and Banos (8km NNE). On 29 October a large lahar was observed travelling down the Mandur drainage channel to the NNW.

CLEVELAND

Another of Alaskas volcanos, Cleveland, has shown increased activity during the last week. On 28 Oct the AVO

raised the alert level at Cleveland to Yellow following pilots reports of an ash plume, which was later confirmed by satellite imagery. This plume was observed drifting ENE at an altitude of 6.1km (20,000 ft). On 30 Oct this alert was lowered again to Green due to no further activity.

MAYON

Remember Mayon? The volcano that a few months ago looked set to blow its lid? Well all seems to have calmed

down now and PHILVOLCS (Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology) lowered the alert level to Green on 25th October. However, the EDZ (Extended Danger Zone) covering some 7km from the SE flank remains in force.

KARYMSKY

Activity continues at Karymsky, on the Kamchatkan peninsula. During the last week, some 350-550 shallow

earthquakes per day have been occuring and explosions have produced ash plumes which have reached altitudes of between 2.5-5.0kms (8,200-16,400).

ST HELENS

Growth of the new lava dome continues and this is producing small to moderate rockfalls. On 29 Oct a magnitude 3.2 earthquake was recorded.

LANGILA

Langila (New Britain Island - Papua New Guinea) has shown increased eruptive activity during the last week with

continuous emissions of gray/brown ash plumes rising to an altitude of 2.4km (8000ft), and explosions producing

incandescent lava chunks. This volcano is now at Aviation Alert Code ORANGE.

FOURPEAKED

The ongoing activity previously reported at Fourpeaked, in the Katmai National Park, Alaska, appears to be diminishing at the moment, according to the AVO (Alaskan Volcano Observatory). Their latest report suggest no earthquakes have been detected recently and whilst the volcano continues to steam and emit gas, seismicity appears to have fallen off.

This is just an initial round-up and I hope to be back with some more later, hopefully with some links and piccies!

:D

Edited by Viking141

Posted

Congratulations on getting your coastguard qualifications, Viking. Well deserved.

A friend visited Monserrat a few weeks ago as part of a conservation project - even though Souffriere Hills is not now classified as dangerous, he and his colleagues were still very impressed by the near daily 'minor' eruptions and ash-falls, which still get pretty near to the inhabitable parts of the island when the wind is in the right (or perhaps wrong) direction.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Viking, i know that there is no imediate danger from Vesuvious, but as the most dangerous volcano in the world in my opinion, could you give us a weekly update on the amount of earthquakes and such.

Interestingly, according to an article which i will find the link to, Vesuvious is blocked approximately 300 metres down, and if cycles persist will erupt betwenn 2015 and 2030, with the subsiquent eruption being the largest in 2000 years, if i remeber correctly, that eruption was VEI5 or above.

Posted
Vesuvious is blocked approximately 300 metres down, and if cycles persist will erupt betwenn 2015 and 2030, with the subsiquent eruption being the largest in 2000 years, if i remeber correctly, that eruption was VEI5 or above.

Northing worse than a burnt Italian (IMO)...............

Guest Viking141
Viking, i know that there is no imediate danger from Vesuvious, but as the most dangerous volcano in the world in my opinion, could you give us a weekly update on the amount of earthquakes and such.

Interestingly, according to an article which i will find the link to, Vesuvious is blocked approximately 300 metres down, and if cycles persist will erupt betwenn 2015 and 2030, with the subsiquent eruption being the largest in 2000 years, if i remeber correctly, that eruption was VEI5 or above.

Im sure I could do that SB. Indeed, I seem to recall a documentary on just exactly this - Horizon I seem to think. Vesuvius is very close to Naples (6 miles east) a city of over 3 million people. The documentary focused on what preparations had been made in the city for evacuation when (note not if) Vesuvius erupted again. The answer was not very promising! Preparations had been made but they depended heavily on the availability of roads, which, it was suggested would be pointless as they would be absolutely choked with people trying to flee - end result a lot of dead people.

I shall see what I can find. Im sure I can find a webcam link so that we can all keep an eye on it for any developments.

As promised, webcam link for Vesuvius:

Vesuvius

And another one from Sorrento:

Sorrento Vesuviuscam

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141
Congratulations on getting your coastguard qualifications, Viking. Well deserved.

A friend visited Monserrat a few weeks ago as part of a conservation project - even though Souffriere Hills is not now classified as dangerous, he and his colleagues were still very impressed by the near daily 'minor' eruptions and ash-falls, which still get pretty near to the inhabitable parts of the island when the wind is in the right (or perhaps wrong) direction.

Thakyou CR. Indeed, the eruptive phase at Soufriere Hills continues unabated. According to the Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO) growth of the lava dome on the NE face continues with associated rockfalls and pyroclastic flows down the NE flank. Also, there have been continuous gas and ash emissions producing plumes which have reached heights of up to 7,000ft. Soufriere Hills is currently at Aviation Concern Colour YELLOW, although she is obviously being monitored very closely.

Guest Viking141
Well done, Viking; we all knew you would, really. Does the new bikini fit? It was a lifeguard's exam, wasn't it?

Hasn't been much to report in the past few days; very much buiness as usual with the volcanoes. Interesting to see three in Guatemala all going off at the same time though; one wonders if there might be a 'biggie' on the cards there; any thoughts?

Hi P3. Not sure to be honest. Latest info I have is that whilst Fuego, Pacaya and Santa Maria are all active, the activity is considered "normal" in that it has been ongoing for some time. Ash production at Santa Maria is considered "minor." There have been ongoing lava flows at Pacaya and occasional explosions at Fuego but again this is fairly normal behaviour for these two.

Posted
Hi P3. Not sure to be honest. Latest info I have is that whilst Fuego, Pacaya and Santa Maria are all active, the activity is considered "normal" in that it has been ongoing for some time. Ash production at Santa Maria is considered "minor." There have been ongoing lava flows at Pacaya and occasional explosions at Fuego but again this is fairly normal behaviour for these two.

Congrats on your pass Viking, now you'll be able to go a Viking in safety!!!

Wasn't the last Major eruption of Vesuvius (of the scale being mooted to occur soon'ish ) the one witnessed by Pliny the younger as his Father ?(the elder) choked to death in an attempted rescue on the beach at Herculinium? Isn't Naples built on top of the pyroclastic flow from that eruption? Doesn't look good does it?