Cold?
IGNORED

Downsides of warm Autumns

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Having to try and cut a very soggy lawn. perhaps we need to change the grass for one that comes from a more northly location. At this rate I'll still cuttin git in mid November. Neither can I clean the pond out as everything is still growing happily. Wasps are still around and the frogs are hopping happily around the garden since it's so wet.

Posted

Cut mine last weekend and still growing, can't say this is any different to past times as we always used to do final cut around 10th of November.

Posted

Ive noticed also the trees have'nt turned brown much either :blink: .

I remember being a kid just before halloween and bonfire night i was kicking piles of leaves around trying to find the conkers buried in the piles of leaves on the way to school :p

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

I am still debating when to go for the last cut, it is still growing but is slowing down. I normally would have had it done by now.

I will have to keep an eye on the GFS and make a decision before its too late.

Posted

The leaves are rapidly falling here now, so I'm still using the lawnmower to hoover the leaves up. God only knows what I can do with them this year though. I can't find things to do with the leaf mulch I make.

Posted
The leaves are rapidly falling here now, so I'm still using the lawnmower to hoover the leaves up. God only knows what I can do with them this year though. I can't find things to do with the leaf mulch I make.

See, when you own a large estate you are always going to have these problems. Maybe you could come up with an invention that will turn the mulch into bars of soap or something.

Posted

Hardly any leaves have dropped here yet-no doubt because of the lack of wind,I would imagine as soon as the Atlantic gets its act together the trees will be denuded pretty quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Cut the grass on sunday as it needed it but the ground was very wet! But our rhodedendron seems to be growing new buds so maybe a second showing this year? :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cutting the lawn in my family seems to finish around the middle of November. Last year it rained solid from the 16th October to 12th November and finished with a bang. The lawn was very long. We had it cut on the 13th and the winter frosts started on the 14th. A very close shave!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Trees turning nicely here just need some sun to show the colours off. Lawn grown again damn thing. At least the hedge isn't doing much.

Posted

I am still hoping to get another cut of the grass and the Hedge needs a serious trim! The leaves are turning quickly here and the fruit patch is dying back.

2 months ago, I dug up a two foot strip round the front garden and plant loads of bulbs for spring. Snowdrops in the lawn and daffs/crocs/tulips round the border. Bushes planted to give colours from january to October.

For some strange reason I have some bulbs coming up! This is not an isolated incident as a work colleague has a whole row coming up. :(

Does any one know if this is a sign of something or are they just rogue bulbs?

Posted
I am still hoping to get another cut of the grass and the Hedge needs a serious trim! The leaves are turning quickly here and the fruit patch is dying back.

2 months ago, I dug up a two foot strip round the front garden and plant loads of bulbs for spring. Snowdrops in the lawn and daffs/crocs/tulips round the border. Bushes planted to give colours from january to October.

For some strange reason I have some bulbs coming up! This is not an isolated incident as a work colleague has a whole row coming up. :)

Does any one know if this is a sign of something or are they just rogue bulbs?

Hi baltic I too have spring bulbs coming up alongside summer busy lizzies! i was reading an article at the weekend which suggests thast the gardening books will have to be be re written and cutting lawns will be an all year round event :)

Posted
Hi baltic I too have spring bulbs coming up alongside summer busy lizzies! i was reading an article at the weekend which suggests thast the gardening books will have to be be re written and cutting lawns will be an all year round event :)

I suppose that a lot of the old folklore for reading the weather will be defunct with the changes in the weather!

Not liking the cutting of the lawn all year round. Sounds far to mild for snow!

Cheers Geri!