Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

X-treme Irish Weather October 2003

kippure

Posted

3 days in October 2003 21st 22nd 23rd brought just about evey sort weather to the east coast of Ireland, Ive gathered a few articles from the 3 days below.

Goes to show the weather can surprize us at any time. It was a simple north east wind that brought this type of weather.

Enlarge to read text :D

post-4984-1159725738_thumb.jpg

post-4984-1159725750_thumb.jpg

post-4984-1159725769_thumb.jpg

Edited by kippure
  • Like 1

Posted
Thats awesome ;) thanks for adding them pics!

The one of the lightening is amazing, pity the quailty is low, but it is 3 years old nearly. After you have clicked the image theres a tool at the bottom right hand corner to increase it further. Looks a lot better.

Cant find anymore info so whats here will have to do.

Edited by kippure

Posted

If its possible , if anyone has photos of those 3 days could you post them here, have done alot of seaching on the net and have come up with only peoples accounts of the days events. ;)

That massive CG looks like a tornado of lightning ;)

Now that would scare the living crap out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Intresting to read though, and ty for sharing ;)

Posted

I remember it well!

It was amazing weather - we had thunderstorms on and off for 48 to 60 hours and constant rain, hail and sleet (and that was at low level). I was supposed to go to meeting one of those mornings - I drove about 200 metres before turning back due to the rods covered in hail and slush - and this is in October!

As far as I can remember the wind was NNE and showers were being generated over the Irish Sea and blown just into the Dublin area. I probably posted something at that time and have a pics that I will dig out.

(I obviously didn't post here as I see that I only joined in 2004 !!! - probably wishful thinking but I do remember others posting?)

Edited by Doc

Posted
I remember it well!

It was amazing weather - we had thunderstorms on and off for 48 to 60 hours and constant rain, hail and sleet (and that was at low level). I was supposed to go to meeting one of those mornings - I drove about 200 metres before turning back due to the rods covered in hail and slush - and this is in October!

As far as I can remember the wind was NNE and showers were being generated over the Irish Sea and blown just into the Dublin area. I probably posted something at that time and have a pics that I will dig out.

(I obviously didn't post here as I see that I only joined in 2004 !!! - probably wishful thinking but I do remember others posting?)

It was a strange few days alright. It didnt know what to do, a combination of everything. The lightening was especialy intense on the 23rd with alot of sleet mixed in , totally weird!!!

Edited by kippure

Posted

AMAZING! is not the word. It was a 3 day thunderstorm (we had sleet on the coast). It was unbelieveable!!!! Thunder and lightning for 3 days straight. I remember on my way home from school looking at this tower (cloud) in the distance to my north (just before it started) and then the lightning caught my eye and then I said to myself - this will be bad! Mountains covered in Snow, flooding etc but most ppl in ROI and UK stayed dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Edited by Icicles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Wherever that lightning bolt struck or whatever it struck it certainly must have caused some serious damage!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Was wondering (hoping for) the same myself?

Countryfile forecast would seem to have poo-pooed the whole set up! Must have a look see at the Met Eireann farming forecast.

Edited by Doc

Posted
Was wondering (hoping for) the same myself?

Countryfile forecast would seem to have poo-pooed the whole set up! Must have a look see at the Met Eireann farming forecast.

Met Eireann have the cold coming down on friday so a cold weekend? The low moves north east! Just like 2003. History has a thing of repeating itself imo.

Edited by kippure

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I seem to remeber that one year, it was the day before halloween I think that one morning i woke to several inches. Is this related? I cant remember the year but I can remember the channel 4 news talking about barmy weather in different parts of the country.

Posted
I seem to remeber that one year, it was the day before halloween I think that one morning i woke to several inches. Is this related? I cant remember the year but I can remember the channel 4 news talking about barmy weather in different parts of the country.

October 30th 2000 :) It was the day of that very deep low depression that crossed England and Wales.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=33490

"On the 29th, a wave rapidly deepened and this brought weather chaos to much of England and Wales on the 30th. Across northern England as the exceptional low pressure of 950mb tracked across the region, the torrential rain turned to snow down to sea level."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Thanks for that Mr Data.

• 8 months later...
Posted

Yep Kippure south Dublin got most of the rain with incessant lightning for over a 24hr peroid.I was fortunate to be in Dunlaoighre early that day looking across the bay with spectacualar displays of lightning.

A cold NE wind was blowing over a relatively warm Irish sea which create very unstable conditions only 15miles off the coast.

The radar showed the storms originated in the same spot and wind blew them across land continuously.Later on that day you could see explosive CBs moving over the region when i travelled north of Dublin and basically around the drogheda area was in a clear slot and dry.

Posted
Yep Kippure south Dublin got most of the rain with incessant lightning for over a 24hr peroid.I was fortunate to be in Dunlaoighre early that day looking across the bay with spectacualar displays of lightning.

A cold NE wind was blowing over a relatively warm Irish sea which create very unstable conditions only 15miles off the coast.

The radar showed the storms originated in the same spot and wind blew them across land continuously.Later on that day you could see explosive CBs moving over the region when i travelled north of Dublin and basically around the drogheda area was in a clear slot and dry.

3 days of truly weird weather :angry:

• 2 months later...
Posted

Over a week to go to the anniversary of the big thunder event. It looks like its going to be cold around these dates with a northerly turning into a north easterly. Will we have a repeat?

Here are updated photos.

post-4984-1192361916_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

yes kippure i remember that very vividly. :cold:

i was working out in greystones at the time, it was a lovely sunny afternoon, met eirann were warning of bad weather.

as we were packing up for the day these very dark and swirling clouds started to push in from the east, and i thought this is gonna be bad, soon after, about half an hour when we stuck in traffic the heavens opened and i mean it was torrential, the roads were flooded in no time, this was just the beginning.

later that night the thunder storms began with heavy rain on ans off, the thunder and lightening soon became incessant and kept me awake all night but i didnt mind cos i was loving this weather phenomena. :( the next morning the heavy hail and sleet started and i was looking in disbelief, then i saw on tv3 weather about the heavy snow in the dublin mountains, again it was hard to believe that this was happening so early oin the season. the storm surge that was produced was incredible ( i dont know how high), but iwas listening to adrian kennedy show and it was the main topic of conversation, people were reporting cars floating down the dual carriageway, train tracks were impassable in dun loiaghre and other stations,cos of the storm surge. i have never seen so much thunder and lightening in my life, incessant and prolonged, the rain storms being blown in a horizontal direction and the snow that fell in the dublin mountains and to top it off it was blooming freezing, i think 2c max recorded on the second day.

this was a truely freak storm that i have never seen the likes, though it would be good to witness again, and thank goodness noone was killed.

regards. :)

Edited by stormforce 10

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Posted

Well it looks like there,ll be no X-treme october weather for this year.........nea.gif

Post 20 still has the pictures 6 years on.....

Edited by kippure

• 13 years later...