Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms 24th September

Tim

Posted

Looks like it'll be an active night in the southwest!

A lot heading into Devon area & a storm has exploded north on Bournmouth heading my way. Can see frequent lightning all over the place gradually getting nearer

Edited by Tim

Looks like it'll be an active night in the southwest!

A lot heading into Devon area & a storm has exploded north on Bournmouth heading my way. Can see frequent lightning all over the place gradually getting nearer

You're not kidding!!!!!!!!!

I was woken up at 2.15 with a hum dinger of a storm and torrential rain, lightning at about 1 flash every 3 seconds. Decided to watch for a while then headed back to my bed at 2.45am. tried to get back to sleep but ----no I wasn't going to get away with that. Just been woken up again, still overhead and moving north, all the neighbours security lights came on and had a brief power cut after one flash and crack of thunder a minute ago. The rain was like someone had tipped a bucket of water at the window! As I've now lost about 2 hours sleep, I'm reluctatntly heading back to my bed, i hate to miss a good storm, but need to function tomorrow, or rather today!

Mary H

Sutton Veny - Near warmnster wilts

Posted

As in storm discussion...

Woken by thunder at just after 02.00, frequent sheet flashes to the SW and S. Edged closer then just about 02.30 there was a cloudburst and over the next 15/20 minutes it was right overhead with frequent CGs and several VERY CLOSE strikes :o .

I can only think that the CGs were hidden by the rain as it approached.

I don't often quake in storms these days but I did then, something really close got hit on two occasions with immediate explosions of thunder! 02.30 close up NW radar shows a red cell at 56mm per hour right over my postcode!!

That cleared with something awesome when street lights dimmed and there was a lingering blue glow for a few secs, never seen that before :huh: ! Then the heaviness of rain covered the lightning.

Will report back on how much rain fell later on Sunday. Must be about an inch.

Went back in my bedroom to see more approaching from S, a weaker cell with strikes every 2 minutes. This was followed by a 3rd cell with more CGs over Salisbury Plain, flickering sheets and another cloudburst overhead.

Whole system, must be an MCS, now clearing towards Bath with some IC streaks and base like thunder.

Posted

Seems to be a new ceel on it's southwest edge that might actually hit Bristol this time. Got some nice lightning pics, gonna try and get some more.

Pic didn't load? Here it is again

post-165-1159068743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Seems to be a new ceel on it's southwest edge that might actually hit Bristol this time. Got some nice lightning pics, gonna try and get some more.

Hi Tim, literally just had the heaviest rain of the month with lightning x7 and thunder x4! :huh:

Posted

Heavy rain, gusty breeze in kenfig hill. Numerous thunder in kenfig hill an hour or so ago. Numerous IC and CG on the hills between North and West of here just a few miles away, now moved off further into the distance. Hope it's not the end for today :huh:

Posted

been having thunder and lightning on and off since about 230am mainly sheet lightning and thunder seemed to be constant deep and long rumbles a few nice cgs but mainly cloud to cloud impressive light show and the rain was something else torrential for ages all in all a great nights entertainment :huh:

i think i am now ready for the snow of winter :o

fuzion

Posted

We had some very heavy rain this morning because it woke me up! :huh: I could hear thunder rumbling away too.I've been told it passed mainly to the west of Swindon tracking north.

Posted

just issued

better late than never!

John

This is a Flash message for torrential rain and thunderstorms

An area of rain and thunderstorms over north Wales and the north Midlands will move north north west in the next few hours. Cheshire, Greater Manchester and the Liverpool area along with parts of north Wales and perhaps southern Lancashire are most likely to be affected by this band. Some very heavy short falls of rain are likely with thunderstorms. Brief road flooding may occur in any really torrential rainfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Great night last night. At about 10pm a thunderstorm passed just to the southwest of me. Frequent lightning, rumbles of thunder and some light rain is what I had out of this storm. At 1am, the lightning started again to the southeast, as a storm very slowly worked it's way towards me. I then noticed lightning to the southwest aswell, although the southeastern storm was more active. It nearly came overhead but stayed what must have been 10 miles east of me. Got some torrential rain from the edge of the storm though which puddled on the lawn as the ground is so hard it couldn't soak in too well. When this second storm was at it's closest, the lightning was very bright and yellow in colour, with loud booms of thunder. Great storms. :huh:

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

That area of rain and thunderstorms has just hit us in NW Cheshire!

Stubbs

Posted

Weak storm just passed over here, Gresford North Wales, its been dark all morning, but the cloud is breaking now. Storm heading Liverpool way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, Windy at the coast.

Moderate rain here. Only one distant crack of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Intense storm hit just before, then it headed off to Liverpool and got even more intense for a time

Posted

I witnessed a brief a storm whilst in manchester today, just one clap of thunder, fairly close by.

Posted

As there is no thread for today I thought I would post in here, just had a cracker of a storm come over me, about half hour long great lightning and very loud long thunder :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

we had a massive lightning bolt hit very near the house at 4AM with extremely loud thunder! About 9mm of rain