Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Setting up equipment

pete4pne

Posted

I am also looking into getting a WMR 928 but have seen a WMR 918 on Ebay - is that any good ?

Also the instructions for the weather stations never mention poles or fixings etc.

My question is how easy/tricky is it to install the equipment. I have a smallish garden

and am unable to climb ladders. What sort of clearance does the equipment need and what sort of height is best.

Also pole mounted or bracketed to wall (like TV aerial) ?

Where does one buy poles etc ? or have I just answered that!

thanks in anticipation

Pete :(

Posted

In terms of anything except the wind meter then you need it about 1m off the floor, so that's pretty simple! The anemometer itself will give the best readings the higher it is, but you will still get a reasonable reading if you mount it on a shed roof or on a pole on top of a fence post or something like that.

In terms of mountings, I believe it's a very similar thing to an aerial, so a standard pole/bracket from b&q or wherever will probably do the job.

I'm not sure about the differences between the 2 units, but hopefully someone else will :)

Posted

Davis (who make the Vantage Pro) recommend roof mounting the anemometer at least 9ft above the apex of any roof, to remove the effect of the roof on wind speeds. That's what I've done with mine, but it does look ridiculous.

Posted

what Paul and OON have stated is sufficient for both temp and wind readings. The Met O quote 33 feet above unobstructed ground or something like that. Quite impossible for most of us in small back gardens.

good luck and enjoy it when its set up.

John

Posted

thanks very much for your replies

regards

Pete

<_<

what Paul and OON have stated is sufficient for both temp and wind readings. The Met O quote 33 feet above unobstructed ground or something like that. Quite impossible for most of us in small back gardens.

good luck and enjoy it when its set up.

John

Posted

My anemometer is mounted on a thick plastic tube 2 to 3 feet above the roof top, which is very easily obtained. You'll also need to fit a special roof tile to push the pole through from below.