Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Environment Canada reporting around 20cm so far here in St Johns with a few more cm's before the system moves out, 25cm fallen further South of Avalon.

It's the wind and drifting that captivates me lol looks like a white desert, and the plow has left a huge pile infront of the driveway got some shovelling (no snow blower :help: ) to do so missus can get in the driveway later, can't wait till I see a 40/50cm storm http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.png

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Temperarture yesterday lunchtime in Edson..was there for a meeting

post-2495-0-49241000-1327090445_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

PHOTOS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST SNOWS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Courtesy Steve Pierce, President, Oregon Chapter of the American Meteorological Society (AMS)

http://www.ametsoc.o...hapters/oregon/

Oh I'll take some of that please!

Posted

Temperarture yesterday lunchtime in Edson..was there for a meeting

Have you ever been to Cardston?

I have some family friends who live in Cochrane (I think???) and are considering going down south a bit to Cardston.

Posted

Michigan:

http://youtu.be/J3aEu4P9vbQ

Second Winter Storm Expected To Move In Monday

LOS ANGELES (CBS) —

Another winter storm is headed for the Southland and several warnings and watches have been issued in anticipation.

Widely scattered light to moderate showers are expected across Southern California by Monday morning with stronger showers forecast in the Foothill regions.

A winter storm warning is scheduled to go into effect at 4 a.m. Monday for the mountains of Los Angeles, Ventura and San Bernardino counties with snow levels dropping to 5500 feet. It is set to expire at 8 p.m. High winds are also forecast in the higher elevations but especially in the San Bernardino Mountains. The National Weather Service has issued a high wind watch for Monday morning through about 10 p.m. Meantime, a high surf advisory is currently in effect with breakers at 8-to-20 feet along the west-facing beaches.

Video forecast here:

http://losangeles.cb...ern-california/

Posted Image

The beaches won’t be the only SoCal sites affected. Mammoth was blanketed with 3 feet of snow after Saturday’s storm, and there’s more white stuff on the way for the Sierra and local mountains. Heavy snow will fall in elevations above 6,000 feet, and the mountains in San Bernardino and Riverside counties are under a winter storm watch. The oncoming storm is this weekend’s second system to hit the region, which has had little precipitation all winter.

Rain and wind blew in early Saturday, causing damage with downed trees, power outages and traffic snarls. Collisions on L.A.’s wet roads increased sixfold Saturday morning compared to the same time last week when the roads were dry and highway patrol officials are warning motorists to slow down, and leave plenty of room between themselves and other vehicles to avoid another spike in crashes. Remnants of the storm are expected to linger after the rain subsides as Santa Ana winds whip through the passes and canyons Tuesday morning. Sunday’s winter storm should be the last of its kind at least for a few weeks. Southern California will warm up again after Tuesday with sunny skies and temperatures in the 70s through Saturday.

http://www.nbclosang...-137855273.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I have some family friends who live in Cochrane (I think???) and are considering going down south a bit to Cardston.

No never been..and honeslty never heard of it...Cochrane is near Calgary..im further north In Edmonton..Edson is 200km west of Edmonton just over halfway to Jasper...mr Coops may know it though?

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

No never been..and honeslty never heard of it...Cochrane is near Calgary..im further north In Edmonton..Edson is 200km west of Edmonton just over halfway to Jasper...mr Coops may know it though?

I drove through it once in 2008 on my way down to Whitefish, Montana from Lethbridge. I wouldn't go there if thats the only place they are going. It has about 2000 people and not much else. Its kind of south west of Lethbridge just north of the US border. There are a few museums there.

Its a good town to be close to everything ie 40km away is Waterton Nation Park which is a nice park and there is a ski hill nearby.

I'd recommend they carry on going to the US and go to Whitefish and Glacier National Park for a trip from Cochrane. Alternatively go west and head into the mountains from cochrane to Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper. Its less time and more picturesque IMO.

Posted

Got relatives in Chicago and keep an eye

on their winter weather.

I can't believe how mild it has been so far.

Ok now it's colder but i'm use to looking in envy.. even from an occasional wintry Leeds

Edited by NW Leeds Russ

Posted

Generally been a nice chilly but sunny few days here since the 25cm of snow on Friday. All change tomorrow again with another storm but this time a mild incursion 6 degrees and snow to rain (mostly rain 20-40mm, going to be a messy 24 hours). I guess that's the end of our snow cover again, well at least for a few days till the next batch comes along. It's been the theme all winter so far, in a way it's good as you don't end up with silly amounts of snow piled up with no where to put it. Not sure who much snow we've had thus far though I think it's well below average in these parts, though probably about 1.2+ metres more than I would of seen in the UK (which by the sounds of it have barely seen a drop and the mildest winter on record far).

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Generally been a nice chilly but sunny few days here since the 25cm of snow on Friday. All change tomorrow again with another storm but this time a mild incursion 6 degrees and snow to rain (mostly rain 20-40mm, going to be a messy 24 hours). I guess that's the end of our snow cover again, well at least for a few days till the next batch comes along. It's been the theme all winter so far, in a way it's good as you don't end up with silly amounts of snow piled up with no where to put it. Not sure who much snow we've had thus far though I think it's well below average in these parts, though probably about 1.2+ metres more than I would of seen in the UK (which by the sounds of it have barely seen a drop and the mildest winter on record far).

That is just sensationalism.

What do people think to the chances of a clipper along the east coast on Sunday?

Posted

That is just sensationalism.

What do people think to the chances of a clipper along the east coast on Sunday?

Doesn't look that likely on the charts I've seen but 00z Tues looks interesting on the MRF and GFS. Of course it's stupid to pick out one run this far ahead.

Edited by weather ship

Posted

So far, severe weather has knocked out power to about 30,000 CenterPoint Energy customers with strong storms expected to move through Houston by midafternoon.

Up to 4 inches of rain is expected to fall in the Houston area by about 2 p.m. with Conroe already experiencing lighter rain than this morning, according to the National Weather Service.

The threat of damaging winds, hail and flooding will persist throughout the late afternoon.

At 11 a.m., Conroe police reported standing water on Interstate 45 and are advising residents not going out for a couple of hours, if at all possible.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_area/news/storms-knock-out-power-more-rough-sailing-expected/article_d2e503de-477c-11e1-a55e-0019bb2963f4.html

Posted

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

336 AM EST FRI JAN 27 2012

MEZ003-004-271700-

/O.CON.KCAR.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-120128T0600Z/

NORTHERN SOMERSET-NORTHERN PISCATAQUIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BAKER LAKE...BILLY-JACK DEPOT...

BAXTER ST PARK...CHAMBERLAIN LAKE...CHURCHILL DAM...

MOUNT KATAHDIN

336 AM EST FRI JAN 27 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST

SATURDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 5 TO 8 INCHES...ALONG WITH

OF A TENTH OF AN INCH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...FRIDAY THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...RISING INTO THE UPPER 20S.

* WINDS...EAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

* IMPACTS...HIGH IMPACT. EXPECT VERY HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS.

SNOW...SLEET AND A LAYER OF ICE WILL PRODUCE DANGEROUS

CONDITIONS. ICE MAY DOWN TREES AND CAUSE BRANCHES TO SNAP WITH

NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

IF TRAVELING...SLOW DOWN AND PLAN EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR

DESTINATION. BE SURE YOUR VEHICLE HAS A FULL TANK OF GAS. IF YOU

GET STRANDED STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE. LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO

ALL HAZARDS OR OTHER MEDIA OUTLETS FOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND

STATEMENTS.

&&

Posted

Stormy looking skies over Fort Lauderdale this morning.

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

Probably be gone by the time people see this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sea Ice havoc in Alaska - too much, not too little!

Posted Image

Posted

I think a more robust winter storm setup begins in about ten days' time for the east coast, with the peak probability for a good snowstorm setup for the northeast US being 15-29 February and possibly into early March. This probably applies in general to eastern Canada as well.

What's missing is a real southward push of the jet stream, some of the cold events recently and in the near future are too shallow to give more than modest dynamics for a snowstorm. We saw a rather minor event last weekend but the heaviest falls were 10-20 cms.

Would say watch for stronger and more sustained arctic cold over Ontario and Quebec after next week. Then the snow potential will become much better along the coast.

Posted

I think a more robust winter storm setup begins in about ten days' time for the east coast, with the peak probability for a good snowstorm setup for the northeast US being 15-29 February and possibly into early March. This probably applies in general to eastern Canada as well.

What's missing is a real southward push of the jet stream, some of the cold events recently and in the near future are too shallow to give more than modest dynamics for a snowstorm. We saw a rather minor event last weekend but the heaviest falls were 10-20 cms.

Would say watch for stronger and more sustained arctic cold over Ontario and Quebec after next week. Then the snow potential will become much better along the coast.

Interesting to see what develops!

We've seen some a couple of reasonable snow storms here this past week or so, 25cm last friday and around 15cm here in St Johns this morning, I think further west of the island seen more snow from todays system around 25cm, Was pretty windy here though 100km/h gusts so made it all the worse, For the first time it doesn't look like there's anything mild or much rain in the next weeks forecast so maybe we're heading into a longer spell of snow on the ground with regular top ups, as you would expect as we head into February.

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

Expecting another 15cm here today following on from simular amount 3 days ago, snow in the forecast everyday it seems, maybe a bigger storm Fri/Sat. Winter really starting to pep up here now with highs well below freezing all week. What's it like in other parts of Canada, I was looking at Alberta and they're looking like getting highs of 4-6 degrees this week, must be well above average?

Edit: A stormy lunchtime here, sat right under the heaviest precipitaion as the low began to pivot:

http://s1260.photobu...31-13-10-15.mp4

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted

After our cold 3-4 days its been 7-8oC everyday since. yesterday was a nice 7oC...today warming up slowly, currently 4oC at 10am. Night time temps barely below freezing. Its been the warmest winter for me. Snow is melting rapidly which is casuing a problem of the ice underneath being visible and difficult to walk around my neck of the woods.

Posted

After our cold 3-4 days its been 7-8oC everyday since. yesterday was a nice 7oC...today warming up slowly, currently 4oC at 10am. Night time temps barely below freezing. Its been the warmest winter for me. Snow is melting rapidly which is casuing a problem of the ice underneath being visible and difficult to walk around my neck of the woods.

Surely can't be long before it turns colder?, seems strange seeing such high winter temperatures in some parts of Canada.

We are getting plenty of snow now though being greedy I'm still waiting for a monster 40-50cm storm, plenty of time for that though!. Last couple of hours is probably the stormiest I've seen it in my first winter here, not in terms of total amount, just very windy a blowing snow warning in effect and coming down pretty fast for a couple of hours, reports of lots of cars coming off the roads with plows unable to keep up.