Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Thanks Roger

Looks like winter is kicking into full force already. Nice pics CM, looks more like February up there.

Snow storms all around us but we again escape with no snow. Still nothing on the ground here which is the latest I can recall however minus 15oC this morning. Nothing too bad.

Wishing I was in Gravenhurst for the lake effect snow. I almost moved to Collingwood, Ontario a few years back and one of the reasons was the lake effect snows there. However skiing Blue Mountain compared to Sunshine kind of sealed it for me lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

-24.4c in parts of Anchorage, Alaska right now. Snow in Vancouver and Seattle, too. Very cold in the North west of North America..

Posted

A fair amount of snow in S. Dakota at the moment.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RAPID CITY SD

956 PM MST FRI NOV 18 2011

...WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE REGION TONIGHT AND SATURDAY...

.A FAST MOVING BUT POTENT WINTER STORM WILL TRACK ACROSS THE

REGION TONIGHT AND SATURDAY. SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVER NORTHEASTERN

WYOMING AND THE BLACK HILLS...AND WILL SPREAD ACROSS WESTERN SOUTH

DAKOTA TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MOST OF THE DAY

SATURDAY...ENDING LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

THE GREATEST SNOW AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO FALL IN A RELATIVELY

NARROW BAND...MOST LIKELY FROM THE NORTHEASTERN SLOPES OF THE

BLACK HILLS EASTWARD ONTO THE FOOTHILLS AND PLAINS. SNOW AMOUNTS

HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO VARY GREATLY...DEPENDING ON WHERE THE

HEAVIER BAND OF SNOW DEVELOPS.

THE LATEST ROAD CONDITIONS IN SOUTH DAKOTA ARE AVAILABLE BY

CALLING 511...OR 1-866-697-3511. IN WYOMING...CALL 511...OR

1-888-996-7623.

SDZ002-013-014-031-032-043-073-191300-

/O.CON.KUNR.WS.W.0009.000000T0000Z-111120T0000Z/

PERKINS-NORTHERN MEADE CO PLAINS-ZIEBACH-PENNINGTON CO PLAINS-

HAAKON-JACKSON-SOUTHERN MEADE CO PLAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LEMMON...BISON...FAITH...DUPREE...

WALL...PHILIP...KADOKA...UNION CENTER

956 PM MST FRI NOV 18 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM MST

SATURDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM MST SATURDAY.

* SNOW WILL INCREASE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH MIDDAY SATURDAY.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 7 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

* WINDS WILL INCREASE TONIGHT...RESULTING IN AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW.

* WIND CHILL VALUES WILL FALL TO OF 5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE ZERO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WIND...AND COLD

TEMPERATURES WILL CREATE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS.

&&

Posted

The snow belt has moved on into Minnesota and Wisconsin. First majjor snow of the year in the area.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DULUTH MN

1008 AM CST SAT NOV 19 2011

WIZ001-002-006>009-200015-

/O.CON.KDLH.WW.Y.0040.111119T1800Z-111120T1200Z/

DOUGLAS-BAYFIELD-BURNETT-WASHBURN-SAWYER-PRICE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SUPERIOR...WASHBURN...GRANTSBURG...

SPOONER...HAYWARD...PHILLIPS

1008 AM CST SAT NOV 19 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST

SUNDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST

SUNDAY.

* TIMING AND LOCATION: LIGHT SNOW WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND

INTENSITY THIS AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 5 INCHES.

* MAIN IMPACT: UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND

SLICK AND LOW VISIBILITIES WILL BE POSSIBLE.

* OTHER IMPACTS: THIS IS THE FIRST WIDESPREAD SIGNIFICANT

SNOWFALL THIS SEASON. SNOWFALL RATES MAY HAVE ADDED IMPACT ON

AREA TRAVEL SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT ACCUMULATING SNOW

WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED

ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITY...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looking at the usual vast swing in temperature you dont see much in the UK..temps fell to -33c on sunday morning..however we are looking at hihgs of +6 or 7c tomorrow thats a dfference of 40c in the space of 48 hrs.

Posted

Looking at the usual vast swing in temperature you dont see much in the UK..temps fell to -33c on sunday morning..however we are looking at hihgs of +6 or 7c tomorrow thats a dfference of 40c in the space of 48 hrs.

Same here CM...it was brutal the cold this weekend but by the middle of the week I'll be out in shorts. One thing was funny, I went to the gym and then to subway after. All I had on was my shorts and t-short as I was running in from the car. The looks I got on main street as I came round the corner wearing that in minus 25oC...they must have thought I was a loon lol

Posted

So you guys in the States are using caterpillars to predict the Winter weather then? :cc_confused:

TRI-STATE AREA -- The woolly bear caterpillar, known as an adult as the Isabella tiger moth, is common in North America – including right here in the Tri-States. While they may become motionless if touched or picked up, they do not have venom and are not in any way dangerous. Generally, the caterpillar starts off with a band of orange (reddish-brown) in the middle of its body while having black at both ends. As the caterpillar grows and matures, the orange band will then grow towards both ends of the body.

It is legend or folklore that this famous caterpillar can actually predict what the upcoming winter weather may be like. Is this really possible?

In the 1940s and 1950s, a scientist named C. H. Curran studied small samples of the caterpillars. After some study, the scientist thought that if the orange bands were taking up more than a third of the caterpillars’ bodies, the winter would be milder than average. More black may signal a ‘bear’ of a winter – colder than average. Dr. Curran knew that his sample-sizes of caterpillars were small though, and thus his findings were more or less a means for entertainment.

So, what’s really happening with the caterpillar known colloquially as “Fuzzy Wuzzy� There may very well be a link between the orange band on the caterpillar and the severity of winter… The real evidence, as pointed to earlier, shows that the amount of black and orange is related to the caterpillar’s age. That means you could tell when the life cycle began earlier in the year – and this would only give you an idea of what the previous winter may have been like as opposed to what the upcoming winter will look like.

The caterpillars are still fun, and I think they make for great conversation. I’ve loved chatting with people about them! Believe it or not, some towns even hold annual festivals for the woolly bear. Oil City, Pennsylvania, for example, has a caterpillar named Oil Valley Vick who will “predict†the winter weather. The town hopes to eventually draw a crowd comparable to Punxsutawney Phil. Happy forecasting, Vick – good luck, little buddy!

http://www.connecttr...59#.TsyvXbKImU8

Posted

Quite a bit of snow in the NE US at the moment.

..HIGH IMPACT WINTER STORM WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT HOLIDAY TRAVEL

EARLY THIS MORNING AND INTO THIS AFTERNOON...

.LOW PRESSURE OVER THE OHIO VALLEY WILL REDEVELOP ALONG THE

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COAST THIS MORNING...THEN MOVE ACROSS CAPE

COD AND THEN INTO THE GULF OF MAINE BY THIS AFTERNOON.

HIGHEST SNOWFALL TOTALS ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR ACROSS CENTRAL AND

NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND EXTEND EASTWARD INTO INTERIOR SOUTHERN

AND CENTRAL MAINE. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF AND

END FROM WEST TO EAST AS THE AFTERNOON PROGRESSES. DRY WEATHER IS

EXPECTED TO RETURN TO ALL AREAS BY THIS EVENING.

THE HEAVY SNOW AND SLEET WILL CREATE VERY SLIPPERY AND DANGEROUS

DRIVING CONDITIONS. THE CONSISTENCY OF THE SNOW WILL PROBABLY BE

HEAVY AND WET...AND COULD POSE A POWER OUTAGE ISSUE DUE TO THE

WEIGHT OF THE SNOW ON TREES AND WIRES...ESPECIALLY ACROSS

SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE WARNING AREAS.

THE TIMING OF THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL AFFECT ONE OF THE BUSIEST

TRAVEL DAYS OF THE YEAR. PEOPLE SHOULD PLAN THEIR TRAVEL

ACCORDINGLY AND BE PREPARED TO ALLOW PLENTY OF EXTRA TIME TO

REACH THEIR DESTINATION.

MEZ007>009-012>014-020>022-025>028-NHZ001-002-231915-

/O.CON.KGYX.WS.W.0013.000000T0000Z-111123T2300Z/

NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-

SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-ANDROSCOGGIN-

KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-KNOX-COASTAL WALDO-

NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDOVER...ROXBURY...UPTON...

WILSONS MILLS...COBURN GORE...RANGELEY...KINGFIELD...BINGHAM...

JACKMAN...RUMFORD...NORWAY...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...FARMINGTON...

WILTON...MADISON...SKOWHEGAN...PITTSFIELD...LEWISTON-AUBURN...

LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...

BATH...TOPSHAM...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...WISCASSET...WALDOBORO...

CAMDEN...ROCKLAND...THOMASTON...BELFAST...LINCOLNVILLE...

COLEBROOK...BERLIN...LANCASTER

613 AM EST WED NOV 23 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS

EVENING...

* LOCATIONS...COOS COUNTY NEW HAMPSHIRE EASTWARD TO THE WESTERN

MAINE MOUNTAINS...EASTWARD TO THE MID COAST.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS

EXPECTED THIS MORNING INTO MID AFTERNOON BEFORE TAPERING OFF

AND ENDING BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING.

Posted

Had a wickedy half hour of snow last night. At about 5pm in 30 mins about an inch fell - huge flakes, very wet. Then there was a flash freeze. The roads were horrendous. Overnight we had a further 3-4 inches of snow. Today however, environment canada have issued a snowfall warning of another 2-4 inches of snow which means we will get nothing as that happens whenever a snowfall warning is issued lol

And just to confirm it driving to work this morning it was -1oC and raining. Could be a mess later as temps rise

Posted

Am a Brit currently living abroad in St Johns, First big snowfall of the winter predicted tonight tomorrow (15-30cm), well I say big the locals don't see it as too big a storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Another link for web cams at Canmore, Jasper and Banf. http://rockies.com/banffwebcam/

H

i spend enough time in Jasper as it is..i dont want a reminder of the place

Posted

Yup mess like I said - this morning it was dangerous as the rain was freezing but now its just warm enough that the rain is melting the snow rapidly. Still a snowfall warning for this area which is a joke

Posted

Yup mess like I said - this morning it was dangerous as the rain was freezing but now its just warm enough that the rain is melting the snow rapidly.

A wintry storm socked New England with a mix of heavy snow and freezing rain Wednesday, sparking power outages and delaying some flights for Thanksgiving on one of the busiest travel days of the year. Rain eased in the mid-Atlantic after downpours early Wednesday, but as much as 10 inches of snow was forecast in the higher elevations of upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, the National Weather Service said.

In parts of Vermont, about 12,000 electricity customers had lost power after heavy snow built up to topple trees, limbs and power lines, according to the Central Vermont Public Service. Crews reported about 6 to 8 inches of heavy, wet snow in Windsor and Windham counties, spokeswoman Christine Rivers said. In Maine, up to 10 inches of snow was predicted for the mid-state region, with freezing rain expected along the coast.

On the roads, about 38.2 million Americans are expected to drive 50 miles or more from home from Wednesday through Sunday, up 4 percent from last year and the highest since 2007, according to AAA. Airports were bracing for roughly 23.2 million passengers on domestic and international routes over the Thanksgiving holiday period, according to the Air Transport Association of America. That's down from the 23.6 million people who flew over the Thanksgiving period in 201

http://www.chicagotr...,0,701472.story

Happy thanksgiving!

Posted

Am a Brit currently living abroad in St Johns, First big snowfall of the winter predicted tonight tomorrow (15-30cm), well I say big the locals don't see it as too big a storm!

Well they got that right.

Posted Image

Posted

Well they got that right.

Posted Image

I woke this morning was around 10-15cm when I cleared the paths and dug out around the car, but is very windy so blowing snow with deeper drifts in places is about 2 feet deep on the veranda! Still snowing now the paths are covered again probably be an extra 10cm on top, meant to tail off in a couple of hours when will get out to start clearing it a bit, am awaiting the council to come down and clear the street with their plough and blower which is fired straight into gardens and driveways so been told not much point clearing it too much until they've done that!

People still get out and about though the missus went to work though was a struggle, luckily managed to get winter tyres put on yesterday just in the nick of time!

Posted

Apparently record November snowfall amounts today for St Johns, around 30cm I think, didn't seem that bad shovelling out considering something I'm not used to really in England!

Posted

Best of luck to you glosteroldboy. Throw a few weeks of cold across the pond to Gloucester.......a little depressing with double figure temps day in day out.

Posted

Best of luck to you glosteroldboy. Throw a few weeks of cold across the pond to Gloucester.......a little depressing with double figure temps day in day out.

I will! I know how you feel, even when we had the cold December last year, my part of Glos missed out on all the fun with little more than 2 or 3 inches. I would say this is the most snow I have ever seen, I was around in the late 70's early 80's but too young to remember the snowfall back then. Where I am doesn't quite get the bitter very cold sustained very cold temps that they do on the continent but is a good location for lots of storms, still early in the season really though today was not that normal for here at this time of year.

Posted

Put it this way glosterboy, the lawn was mowed last weekend, and possibly again in a couple of weeks. Doesn't seem abnormal, but I suppose like your comment I may be basing this winter on last years start.

How much snow on the ground where you are at the moment?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I will! I know how you feel, even when we had the cold December last year, my part of Glos missed out on all the fun with little more than 2 or 3 inches. I would say this is the most snow I have ever seen, I was around in the late 70's early 80's but too young to remember the snowfall back then. Where I am doesn't quite get the bitter very cold sustained very cold temps that they do on the continent but is a good location for lots of storms, still early in the season really though today was not that normal for here at this time of year.

Will the snow stay around or do you see total melts and new storms.

Posted

It is quite early for major snowfalls in St John's, they often see most of their winter snow well after Christmas even into March and April because of the gradual chilling effects of the ice offshore to the north of Newfoundland. This storm was a bit under-predicted, I think most were expecting it might mix with rain but it stayed all snow or thereabouts. I'm sure they will have some milder weather as even 10-12 deg C not that uncommon in December in that part of the country.

Some good weather news that may also be good economic news -- the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday weekend (from yesterday to Sunday) continues on the warm and dry side in many parts of the heavily populated eastern and central states, meaning that retail sales should be undeterred by the weather at least, and the way the economy is going, that can only be good news. In fact it could be as warm as 20 deg C in some parts of the northeast U.S. today and over the weekend.

An unusual storm is then going to develop over the southeast pushing slowly north into the warm and increasingly moist air mass with a pool of colder air aloft over Georgia and South Carolina. This may lead to some very heavy snow or freezing rain in higher portions of the southeast while the mid-Atlantic states and the northeast see heavy rainfalls developing around mid-week.

This may be the first faint signs of blocking that could slowly develop in December over the western Atlantic to Greenland which would perhaps be an indicator of colder weather to come for Europe, but I think this process will be hesitant as the Pacific jet is raging and coming in at a rather low latitude which can only keep things relatively warm east of the Rockies. It was cold for a few days in the Canadian prairies but now it has warmed up to well above normal with Winnipeg seeing about 10 deg and sunshine yesterday. That would be close to a record high for the date there.

Today is also the anniversary of the 1950 Great Appalachian storm which tracked from eastern Virginia to Lake Erie and brought two to three feet of snow to much of West Virginia and western PA, as well as 100-mph southeast wind gusts around NYC (blocking high over Labrador combined with the storm). This came three weeks after many places set new warmth records for November with highs above 80 deg F in the same places as the snowstorm.

Al Gore would have freaked out big-time.

Posted

Put it this way glosterboy, the lawn was mowed last weekend, and possibly again in a couple of weeks. Doesn't seem abnormal, but I suppose like your comment I may be basing this winter on last years start.

How much snow on the ground where you are at the moment?

I say had around 25-30cm, with 2 foot drifts and of course huge piles of snow everywhere now from the snow clearing.

Will the snow stay around or do you see total melts and new storms.

This time of year it wont stick around, meant to get milder into the weekend. Jan/Feb/March it tends to stick around with regular top ups from light snow and full blown storms.