Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Wow, huge snowstorm passed through here last night, in the space of 6 hours from 11pm to 5am, we have almost 30cm's. I have had to push 2 cars out of our car park here, more reminiscent of living in England lol....schools look set to be shut for the day...the first snowday I have known out here

I did mention this happening a week ago...call it luck , I do lol

Posted

Hello peeps,

Well a cold day today, presently at -18, no wind thankfully. Possibility of more snow tomorrow although with the temps set to rise above zero this may be sleet or even all rain. Will keep you posted.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Hello peeps,

Well a cold day today, presently at -18, no wind thankfully. Possibility of more snow tomorrow although with the temps set to rise above zero this may be sleet or even all rain. Will keep you posted.

TTFN

Debs

Said storm will be all rain here in NYC. The system is drawing 850 temps of +5 up with is. After this passes the arctic front passes through and delivers a couple of sub-zero days for Sunday and Monday. Just what you want for a holiday weekend! I'm still debating whether to go snow-chasing upstate; checking on LES possibilities for Sunday.

Posted

Been snowing for a good hour here now, not forecast. The snow is huge. Very unusual for these parts, its normally very grainy. It happens only a few times a year like this, normally around spring or fall when its close to the freezing mark...about an inch so far

Looking towards the weekend, could have potential for 10cm from a low pressure moving SW from northern BC across the rockies and on to the prairies. Too high up to affect you Roger I think, however much colder air to come in...glad I am in Nelson this weekend

Posted

Cold here today in northern Illinois. High was -16c and supposed to drop to 25c tonight. Wind chills of -35c.

3-6 inches of snow on Monday expected.

The absolute depths of winter across the MidWest right now! Chicago was only forecast to reach -13oC and it's right there at the moment.

Over here in New York we are currently at -4oC with a brisk NW wind making it feel like -15oC. That's enough for me for now! I notice that Chicago is not forecast to get above freezing until next Saturday at the earliest (a whopping 2oC!).

Spare a thought for those in Embarrass, MN: a high of -20oC today and a low of -32oC...

Posted

Two big NFL football playoff games today, I'm watching New England vs San Diego at Foxboro MA, where it's about -7 C and clear, not too brutal but the players are having some trouble handling the ball.

But this is nothing compared to the next game, due to start about midnight GMT in Green Bay Wisconsin, currently it is -17 C with enough wind to make the windchill -27 C. And it will probably drop a few degrees during that game, if you get any coverage of it in the UK, have a look, it should be quite brutal there (New York Giants in town to play Green Bay Packers).

The two winners get to play in the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks.

That will be a good deal warmer.

This pattern reminds me of Jan 1976, so if that holds, February could be a lot milder in the east, in 1976 the anomaly went from about -5 C to +5 C and reached record warmth late in February.

It is also rather chilly here on the west coast, some snow yesterday although most of that slowly melted today in the weak 5 C sunshine.

Posted

Two big NFL football playoff games today, I'm watching New England vs San Diego at Foxboro MA, where it's about -7 C and clear, not too brutal but the players are having some trouble handling the ball.

But this is nothing compared to the next game, due to start about midnight GMT in Green Bay Wisconsin, currently it is -17 C with enough wind to make the windchill -27 C. And it will probably drop a few degrees during that game, if you get any coverage of it in the UK, have a look, it should be quite brutal there (New York Giants in town to play Green Bay Packers).

that makes me cold just thinking about it,

Posted

This pattern reminds me of Jan 1976, so if that holds, February could be a lot milder in the east, in 1976 the anomaly went from about -5 C to +5 C and reached record warmth late in February.

If it gets milder in February here in the East then it will be a mild one over all! NYC is currently running above average for January, and the odd cold shots we are having won't do much to put a dent in it... There doesn't appear to be any sustained cold and the ensembles point to a general warming after next weekend. Winter has been a bit slack so far this year and NYC can't seem to buy a snowflake at the moment; even DC is ahead on snowfall!

Posted

The cold is kicking in now after the low dropped about 8cm's of snow. Max temps today was minus 17oC, with lows in the mid minus 20's. Not too bad for mid January

Posted

Looks like Ontario got another big dump then: CLICKY

Environment Canada said a flow of frigid Arctic air was expected to develop Monday in the wake of the storm, causing "extreme wind chill values" of -35 C or colder on the Northern Peninsula.

Wind chill warnings were issued for parts of northern New Brunswick, where Environment Canada expected winds to bring temperatures down as low as -40 overnight Sunday

Source: canadianpress.google.com Edited by Coast

Posted

Morning all,

Well its cold here, presently -20 with a windchill of -27.......it feels bitingly cold outside. Todays high will be -15 and snow forecast for tomorrow. Not too sure how much but theres no weather warning out so must not be too much to worry about.

Having to use a hot water bottle to keep my feet warm. Even with slippers on these laminate floors are freezing.........

TTFN

Debs

Posted

The two winners get to play in the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks.

That will be a good deal warmer.

It is also rather chilly here on the west coast, some snow yesterday although most of that slowly melted today in the weak 5 C sunshine.

Roger, nice updates with regards to conditions over the big pond, as always.

Just watching a repeat of the NYG GB game on Sky Sports, and boy does it look cold - something that most of cannot particulary comprehend until it is fully experienced at first hand

Temps like that are to many of us, as i say, in comprehensible - think that lowest temps i have experienced was across in NY a couple of years back, Nov 06 or Feb 07 if i remember rightly - absolute dumping had just occurred around the state, remember flying into JFK and admiring the sites below of snow covered plains, but thinking that maybe my suitcase isnt as prepared as maybe it should have been :)

Always find it difficult to play any outdoor sports in any temps below around 3/4 degrees celcius, breathing wise, so the players in the game have my utmost respect :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Just watching a repeat of the NYG GB game on Sky Sports, and boy does it look cold - something that most of cannot particulary comprehend until it is fully experienced at first hand

Glimpsed the "mexican bikini girls" trio in the bleachers enjoying the subzero temps BL? Interesting comparison of temps in Wisconsin to Moscow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all,

Well its cold here, presently -20 with a windchill of -27.......it feels bitingly cold outside. Todays high will be -15 and snow forecast for tomorrow. Not too sure how much but theres no weather warning out so must not be too much to worry about.

Having to use a hot water bottle to keep my feet warm. Even with slippers on these laminate floors are freezing.........

TTFN

Debs

I must be a bit barking...temps that low make me want to move out there even quicker. Are there any down sides to living out there? What are the locals like? My in-laws found the west coast folk to be more welcoming than the east side, what's your experience been like so far?

Posted

Poor winter so far here in New York... Snowfall to date is about 3.5 inches. Despite the coldest air of season currently being in place, it looks like a system crossing tomorrow will bring mainly rain.

Still, by this time last year we had recorded trace snowfall, so we're still up. We ended up on about 7-8 inches last year which is about 20 inches below average. The pattern does not look good going into late January though; by next weekend a West Coast trough takes over and the South East ridge rebuilds, so we can probably write-off the two coldest weeks of the year (statistically last week in Jan and first in Feb). After that we still have about five weeks of possible snowfall time, although it obviously becomes more marginal as time progresses. Given the way things have trended so far this season I don't hold out a huge amount of hope for a significant snow storm.

Anyway, I'm off to Montana next weekend for work. It'll be nice to see the Rockies dressed in their winter attire and I've no doubt it will be cold over there judging by the -30 850s lurking just over the border in Canada...

Posted

As to what are the locals like -- bundled up in layers. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Seriously, when I emigrated as a kid half a century ago, I ran into quite a bit of prejudice from native-born Canadians against English people, won't mention the epithets used. Nowadays, Canada is a much more multi-cultural society and British is considered to be a "cool" origin by many (thank you Austin Powers etc etc). I don't think a person emigrating here now would run into nearly as much raw prejudice as I experienced back then. And once my accent modified to the local variant, this pretty much disappeared (after deep psychological scars were formed, leading to my becoming a weatherman). http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

More recent arrivals would have a better perspective than me, but I think you would find the following to be true in both Canada and the United States:

-- people are generally more friendly in the west than the east, except the far east perhaps where Debs lives, "Maritimers" are known to be quite hospitable and friendly people.

-- people are generally also more friendly in smaller communities than large cities, but I assume this is a global trend.

-- the standard of living will seem similar to the UK nowadays, some things are more expensive, a lot of things are cheaper so the slightly lower average wage at present is compensated by this lower cost of living. For example, petrol is about 60 p a litre. Food is generally a bit cheaper and if you shop in the right places, at least comparable quality for price.

-- you would be struck immediately by how cold -20 C actually is, and soon after that, how long the winter drags on (except where I live, we don't get much winter here). By March or early April, believe it or not, people have had way too much winter and are literally praying for spring to begin. That lasts about three weeks and then it's summer.

-- things are more spread out here, people don't think much of driving 30-50 miles to do something for the day.

-- you hear a lot about guns etc, but in Canada the situation is not vastly different from Europe, and even in the USA, it depends on where you are, some cities or states would strike you as gun-happy, a lot of places would seem not that different.

-- the centre of gravity of politics over here is more conservative, probably like it was in the UK around fifty years ago, but there is quite a spectrum and from what I've gathered of UK politics (which is more than you might suspect) it's basically the same kind of debates and arguments from the same kinds of people.

-- things are a lot less formal here than they might be in parts of the UK, but it's not quite like Australia in that regard, somewhere in between perhaps.

-- we just tell people these good things, then when they get here, whammo, we throw them into a labour camp and take all their stuff. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif

-- just kidding there.

Posted

I must be a bit barking...temps that low make me want to move out there even quicker. Are there any down sides to living out there? What are the locals like? My in-laws found the west coast folk to be more welcoming than the east side, what's your experience been like so far?

Hi Jethro,

Can't comment on the locals out West but here on the East Coast they are very very friendly. I once lived in America and loved their friendliness then I came to Canada and discovered that they are even more friendly. I can tell you that houses are cheaper here and one would argue that there may not be the salaries that the West provide, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons. For instance for 89,ooo I get 4 bedrooms plus 6 acres but out west I may only get a toen house or apartment for that price.......Theres work here if you want to work and a good salary is approx $30,000 a year and this makes it liveable. If there is more than one person working then even better. Life is slower and the roads are emptier here. Visited Toronto just after new year and hated every minute of the roads. (16 lanes of traffic makes the M25 seem tranquil). Try to avoid Montreal its like living in Paris. This French province has all road signs, warnings and billboards in French, you will very rarely find and english signpost. Lets just say the French are French and I have yet found a person from Quebec who will speak English to me even when I try to speak French. Sorry but I find them arrogant.

I love the temperatures out here and all the snow, I keep looking at the UK temps and thank God I am not there this year. Come on over, the weather is fabulous and the folk are friendly........don't take anyones word for it though, you have to experience it and judge for yourself.

I have a good way of describing where I live at present......its like being back in time when you knew your neighbor and the was such a thing as "community" but you still have all the mod cons of present day. Hope this helps.

Weather today is very snowy and much warmer than yesterday, currently at -6. I will also point out that temperatures feel different here. If its -6 in England it feels much colder than it does over here. Strange!!!!!! I will agree with Roger in that you do feel -20 when it happens but you learn to always wear hats, gloves, thermals and a good coat. Its a natural progress when getting ready to leave the house. Oh and try and get a car that starts from teh keyring, that way you get to warm it up a bit before you get in. I know I will have people screaming at me about the ozone layer, but -20 is brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;);)

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted

The pre-start is probably safer for the environment anyway, by the time you go out and start driving, your engine is warmed up and not chugging out so much exhaust. Also, it's a lot safer, Debs you've probably seen this, the numbers of people in Canada who go out and scrape off a bit of a view from the driver's seat and then go out onto the roads with about 5% of the normal visibility, driving along at 2 mph etc etc. ... Where Debs lives, it doesn't normally get down to -35 or -40, like it did where I used to live, now that is really brutal and even if your car is plugged in, it might not start, or stay running once it does start. Canadians learn to carry de-icer for their fuel lines, any moisture that gets in there can freeze and stall your engine long after you've set out on a trip. This can be a problem at -10 or -15 C so Debs, if by any chance you weren't aware of this, get yourself some at the Canadian Tire (where else?) ... might cost you a buck or twobut save you the cost of a "boost" on the road.

Something I forgot to mention, don't come out here if you are a football (soccer to us) fanatic, you won't be able to survive for sure then. It has gotten a bit better, at least there is some coverage on TV now of the premier league and international matches, but not all that much. And the local professional soccer is about on a par with the Second Division in the UK. Perhaps not even that good.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

Something I forgot to mention, don't come out here if you are a football (soccer to us) fanatic, you won't be able to survive for sure then. It has gotten a bit better, at least there is some coverage on TV now of the premier league and international matches, but not all that much. And the local professional soccer is about on a par with the Second Division in the UK. Perhaps not even that good.

Posted

Hedgehog, here's a rough idea what to expect ...

Thursday, very cold but sunny periods in Detroit, maybe a stray flurry from distant squalls to the north, and a high near -8 C.

Friday, clear and cold, morning lows -15 C and daytime highs -5 C.

Saturday-Sunday a bit milder, cloudy with some light snow possible at times, lows near -5 C and highs near 0 C.

Monday, possibly a snowstorm near or just to the south of Detroit, colder again too, -7 C.

Nothing very mild showing up, that's for sure.

Posted

As to what are the locals like -- bundled up in layers. :)

Seriously, when I emigrated as a kid half a century ago, I ran into quite a bit of prejudice from native-born Canadians against English people, won't mention the epithets used. Nowadays, Canada is a much more multi-cultural society and British is considered to be a "cool" origin by many (thank you Austin Powers etc etc). I don't think a person emigrating here now would run into nearly as much raw prejudice as I experienced back then. And once my accent modified to the local variant, this pretty much disappeared (after deep psychological scars were formed, leading to my becoming a weatherman). :)

More recent arrivals would have a better perspective than me, but I think you would find the following to be true in both Canada and the United States:

-- people are generally more friendly in the west than the east, except the far east perhaps where Debs lives, "Maritimers" are known to be quite hospitable and friendly people.

-- people are generally also more friendly in smaller communities than large cities, but I assume this is a global trend.

-- the standard of living will seem similar to the UK nowadays, some things are more expensive, a lot of things are cheaper so the slightly lower average wage at present is compensated by this lower cost of living. For example, petrol is about 60 p a litre. Food is generally a bit cheaper and if you shop in the right places, at least comparable quality for price.

-- you would be struck immediately by how cold -20 C actually is, and soon after that, how long the winter drags on (except where I live, we don't get much winter here). By March or early April, believe it or not, people have had way too much winter and are literally praying for spring to begin. That lasts about three weeks and then it's summer.

-- things are more spread out here, people don't think much of driving 30-50 miles to do something for the day.

-- you hear a lot about guns etc, but in Canada the situation is not vastly different from Europe, and even in the USA, it depends on where you are, some cities or states would strike you as gun-happy, a lot of places would seem not that different.

-- the centre of gravity of politics over here is more conservative, probably like it was in the UK around fifty years ago, but there is quite a spectrum and from what I've gathered of UK politics (which is more than you might suspect) it's basically the same kind of debates and arguments from the same kinds of people.

-- things are a lot less formal here than they might be in parts of the UK, but it's not quite like Australia in that regard, somewhere in between perhaps.

-- we just tell people these good things, then when they get here, whammo, we throw them into a labour camp and take all their stuff. :(

-- just kidding there.

Agree with much of that Roger. Wherever I go on business they love my accent and it's always a good talking point to discuss differences in language and culture. I love irritating Americans by telling them that I get 25 days vacation a year (I work for an English company) when many of them only get ten. I believe it is similar in some Canadian companies, so check carefully. You do get sick days here in the US - a quota per year which you can take as vacation if you do not use them.

As for winters, even in New York which is nothing compared to Canada, winter can go on. Last year it was May before it really felt warm. By early April it can feel like an average January day does in the UK these days! The plus side is that you will always get warmth in the summer; that's a given, although perhaps less so up by Debs.

The people are more friendly here full stop. Even in New York, which gets a bad reputation, people are much more open th conversation than in the UK. I can sit in a bar and be talking to the people either side of me within minutes. I have killed many an hour in airport bars waiting for delayed flights (weather delays!) chatting to all sorts of different people; from lawyers who worked the Enron case to a roadie for ESPN who used to work for the Rolling Stones!

I actually think the standard of living in the US is higher than the UK because costs are that much lower. Housing, food and cars are much cheaper and I like not having to lay out a huge portion of my salary on housing. The only problem in the US is healthcare which, even if you have coverage through work, is still poor by comparison with the NHS IMHO.

The other problem in the US for me is politics. They are generally too right-wing for my liking. I believe in social liberalism at heart and have no problem with gay marriage or abortion. In general, the North East US and the West Coast can be considered the liberal areas (along with Chicago) and everywhere else is quite conservative, to the extent of banning abortion in some places. In fact, in many states homosexuality was illegal until very recently (mostly in the South). I think Canada is more liberal in this respect which for me is a reason for looking at settling in Canada eventually.

As for guns, New York is anti-guns (certainly in the city - carrying a gun will get you seven years), although hunting is very common across the US. Whilst in Montana I got a lift with a customer in his pick-up and noticed some hooks on the roof. I asked about them and he said normally his rifles would be there but they were in his other truck! In general most places are safe though.