Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

That storm is coming to the northeastern U.S. tonight and Friday, NYC could see 4-6 inch snowfalls (they have not had much yet, that earlier storm in DC missed them completely). 

With regards to the forecast I mentioned for Alberta, the blizzard situation has been downgraded and moved up to Friday night for a less powerful storm, seems that the cold dome to the northwest has shown signs of sliding down the east side of the Rockies around the time where the blizzard might be developing, which forced it to pressure jump ahead to North Dakota by Saturday morning. Otherwise all the other aspects remain in place including the fast warmup starting Monday. Could be a matter of mixing away the last remnants of the cold air trapped in valleys in BC so our warming trend around here will be more gradual. Bad avalanche conditions are likely to develop next week as a result of all these events, heavy snow followed by a deep freeze and sudden warming trend always leads to trouble in the back country. Layers separate out, add snowmobilers and boom. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Posted

More cold as cold can be....

• Like 1

Posted

Major Winter storm incoming for the Central and SE of the USA , 3rd one within a fortnight. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yup @CatchMyDrift very warm at the moment but lots of warnings out for later - from winter storm warnings to snow squall watches (haven’t seen many of those before). 

Snowfall warnings for Canmore region up to 15cm’s. Again it’ll likely be Kananaskis region that gets it worse. 

Looks like quite an intense band of snow forming as the cold air sweeps in. Strong winds, blowing snow, flash freeze and cold wind chills.

We had a similar situation in ‘08 and we received 5 1/2 inches of snow in 90 minutes. Some of the heaviest snow I ever saw. 

Let the fun times begin ❄️❄️❄️ 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2

Posted
On 18/01/2022 at 01:39, CatchMyDrift said:

Yeah it looks like it's fairly intense, the traffic on Google Earth looks like this so it's easy to see where the snow is :

Screenshot_20220117-182856_Maps.thumb.jpg.2c4c38342ed446357b52944eb273e051.jpg1688424460_Screenshot_20220117-183820_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6d134323fcd00165106851fab5b66aef.jpg

Love that - real-time impact available. 

Forecast spot on for Canmore region. Around 12-15cm’s on average .

How did you fair? @CatchMyDrift

• Like 1

Posted

Impressive snow storm in parts of Ontario and Quebec including the cities of Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal with many places getting 40cms +.

image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Residents across parts of Ontario and Quebec are recovering from a winter wallop that could take days to clean up. After leaving drivers stranded and schools closed, both provinces are now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

this really is turning into a god awful winter here in Edmonton..horrible freeze thaw going on over the weekend..pavements and footpaths are like ice rinks..as any run off from daytime freezes solid overnight...because all the roads have big windrows everywhere the water has no where to go so footpaths are covered in thick sheets of ice everywhere..woke up this morning to more freezing rain..which has now turned to wet snow..meaning all that ice will be hidden by a thin layer of snow..one wrong move and you could literally break your neck...looks like this weather will last for the rest of the week before we finally head back into the freezer...roll on spring please!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Our friends in Northern Indiana had their first measurable lying snow of the Winter yesterday. Latest that they have ever known and only a couple of inches.

Meanwhile not all that far away the relatives in Southern Ontario (Windsor, Collingwood, Toronto, Oshawa, Kingston and Ottawa) have all been buried recently with near record snowfalls in some places. 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

At least if we can't have much winter this week the sunsets and sunrises have been decent. This was taken just north of the Calgary City Limits this morning:

20220125_082034.thumb.jpg.08d5698ddb8a973af3578e796751dadf.jpg

that's the one thing i liked when i lived in Calgary..you do get some welcome breaks from winter from time to time..i remember it being 18c In January ..was either 2013 or 2014

Posted
18 hours ago, Norrance said:

Our friends in Northern Indiana had their first measurable lying snow of the Winter yesterday. Latest that they have ever known and only a couple of inches.

Meanwhile not all that far away the relatives in Southern Ontario (Windsor, Collingwood, Toronto, Oshawa, Kingston and Ottawa) have all been buried recently with near record snowfalls in some places. 

Having friends in Collingwood the snow pics they send are amazing. The fact it’s in the snow belt for lake effect snow made me almost move there to the point we went house hunting there. 

14 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

that's the one thing i liked when i lived in Calgary..you do get some welcome breaks from winter from time to time..i remember it being 18c In January ..was either 2013 or 2014

I remember both 2013 and 2014 having wild swings of temps in January.

Also in 2012 we have visitors over and it was super warm mid teens in the first week of Jan after a bitterly cold New Year’s Eve. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Having friends in Collingwood the snow pics they send are amazing. The fact it’s in the snow belt for lake effect snow made me almost move there to the point we went house hunting there. 
My cousin's husband is from Collingwood and his family still live there though he is now in Ajax. He often says how snowless the Toronto /Ajax area is in comparison with his home town but they have had their fair share there this week.

He almost talked my daughter into moving there at one time but unfortunately nothing came of it or we would have had a great area to visit. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

My cousin's husband is from Collingwood and his family still live there though he is now in Ajax. He often says how snowless the Toronto /Ajax area is in comparison with his home town but they have had their fair share there this week.

He almost talked my daughter into moving there at one time but unfortunately nothing came of it or we would have had a great area to visit. 

I’ve always been unlucky when visiting Toronto. Always had a snowstorm when I’ve been there. I’ve dug out a (poor quality) pic of the parking lot of when I was stuck at an airport hotel waiting for it to pass. Huge snow totals. 

I do like Collingwood though. Very nice town 

79569F10-E35E-4434-8C8F-3081B61C39FD.thumb.jpeg.d4df255af4308760ce1b0eb15dab0d49.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted

And still quite a difference over the weekends possibilities...

Posted
14 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I knew winter here was dry at times but these are unusual stats for someone like me from the west of Scotland:

Precip so far in Jan 2022: 3mm

Total precip Jan 2021: 4.4mm

Total precip Jan 2020: 3mm

Total precip Jan 2019: 8.9mm

I have seen various estimates of Calgary's average Jan precip, in the 9mm to 20mm range. 

Here in Edmonton last winter we had 0mm of precipitation from Nov 9 - Jan 25..overal winter 2020-21 (Dec- Feb) total was 11mm..this winter so far it stands at 63.5mm

Posted
15 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I knew winter here was dry at times but these are unusual stats for someone like me from the west of Scotland:

Precip so far in Jan 2022: 3mm

Total precip Jan 2021: 4.4mm

Total precip Jan 2020: 3mm

Total precip Jan 2019: 8.9mm

I have seen various estimates of Calgary's average Jan precip, in the 9mm to 20mm range. 

It has been particularly dry. No doubt spring will even out the annual figures - it feels like the drier the winter the wetter the spring over the years. (Not sure if that’s factually correct, just a feeling) Especially Monsoon June ? 

17 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Here in Edmonton last winter we had 0mm of precipitation from Nov 9 - Jan 25..overal winter 2020-21 (Dec- Feb) total was 11mm..this winter so far it stands at 63.5mm

I remember all the precip was passing you by that winter. Very dry one for you that was. 

Posted

Hopefully there will be some good webcams to follow this monumental event. The stuff of dreams.

FKIwtisWYAcyzBA.jpg?quality=85&strip=all
WWW.NBCBOSTON.COM

Up to 28″ of snow is possible in the Boston area with a major nor’easter poised to develop off the coast late Friday night and into Saturday.

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Hopefully there will be some good webcams to follow this monumental event. The stuff of dreams.

FKIwtisWYAcyzBA.jpg?quality=85&strip=all
WWW.NBCBOSTON.COM

Up to 28″ of snow is possible in the Boston area with a major nor’easter poised to develop off the coast late Friday night and into Saturday.

Pretty much a bomb cyclone forming, which could even have an eye for a period!!!!!

Reed Timmer will.be live streaming from Cape Cod and Ryan Hall is running a news feed from later today. My sister lives in Nantucket (restores the old clapperboard buildings!!) so will be busy after this.

• Like 1

Posted

Now updates to...

Edited by matty40s

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The cloud effects are cool today, ripling in the wind that's coming up and over the Rockies:

20220128_095942.thumb.jpg.822368e9588c9854c693590808d1e26e.jpg20220128_123419.thumb.jpg.267bb6c1b61cceaf5830535e8e89e9c1.jpg20220128_124056.thumb.jpg.a63c62525a9d670662033c5700ae2255.jpg20220128_124301.thumb.jpg.23cfc4c1ebb379466adf2e6fc788703b.jpg

im jealous of those ice free sidewalks and footpaths..ours in Edmonton are covered in thick layer of ice... most are impassable 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Anyone who wants a good look at the blizzard in the US today, Ryan is doing a 12 hour live stream, definitely worth a watch. Already reports of 10 inches + and thundersnow. He has contact with storms chasers and viewers sending in footage.

• Like 1

Posted

Its fairly obvious where the blizzards are at from this....

Screenshot_20220129-121003_Maps.jpg

Couple of webcams on Martha's Vineyard

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 1

Posted

..and Simon Brewer at sea level!!!

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting to watch the Cambridge webcam, the Mass Trans buses are still running, whilst the local folks plough the main streets.. Bowing around but not a huge amount of snow. Meanwhile at Times square not a lot of snow, I've been there at times when there's been way more snow on the ground than current..

Lets see how this rolls out as there's some few hours to go on this one, so plenty of time to accumulate..

The wind has picked up as the snow seems to have intensified and the temperature is now down to 17F, with the wind in from the N @ 30mph..

Looks like they are throwing everything at it, I have seen Bobcat's & JCB's clearing the streets..

Edited by Dorsetbred