Jump to content

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best time lapse I've seen so far.    

February 15th Storm   Hello All,   Well its been quite a few weeks lately, we've had huge amounts of snow here in New Brunswick, the most I've seen in the 8 years I have lived here. I think in les

I wish our downgrades were like that

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Dear weather gods, please can we have some of this (snow) for Christmas.

Your not greedy,......I’m next *Dear weather gods* can I have this everyday of our winter ❄️  😜

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What amazes me about Denver is the extremes rather than the actual averages. Winter average maxes are + 7C with December being the coldest  month at 6C. Maxima frequently are +60F so cold spells tend not to last but can be very cold. At city level snow does not tend to lie for long and the golf courses do not close for the Winter season. My brother used to be a frequent visitor to Denver through his work (aerospace) though his main memory is of the size of their steaks rather than the weather.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

What amazes me about Denver is the extremes rather than the actual averages. Winter average maxes are + 7C with December being the coldest  month at 6C. Maxima frequently are +60F so cold spells tend not to last but can be very cold. At city level snow does not tend to lie for long and the golf courses do not close for the Winter season. My brother used to be a frequent visitor to Denver through his work though his main memory is of the size of their steaks rather than the weather.

Denver was my second home for a few years, and I have sampled both the high's in the 90's and lows in the sub 0f range (not wind chill), and at those temperatures it does hold on for a while. 

It was -13f February 19, 2006 -25C when I was there...

BUT the colder air is often as in this case a plunging front, which does usually mean a couple of raw days on colder arctic/Canadian/ Northern USA temperatures. As to the snow hanging around, their average RH value is a mere 36%, so a lot of the snow disappears through sublimation....

 

image.thumb.png.05fa60da8c1b3a1c2acaa1cff866e4d6.png

Rabbit ears Pass (c/o 9news)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Lookit' that thing bulldozing it's way down 😄

USABulldozer.thumb.gif.4190e1e423a81553bedeb9fa69de31a8.gif

E82A75D6-569B-4BEA-BD38-B0C9B14CC024.thumb.png.68e4bf23cae67362b8ade88ba3a38c7a.png 2AB4DB21-E6FD-46A9-AA9A-C597BCAD5876.thumb.png.96629891c8123f6c537dfbdfd2333cd2.png5506CDA8-C989-4889-B5E7-C3222F551BD6.thumb.png.0ca9620a37589ef6791eae2a91258a57.png1513A871-0A31-440C-8EFB-78D83E824FAA.thumb.png.ca74dbdc24ef7603a17794ab3e91191b.png 

Your gif 😜 850hpa anomalies + 2m temps + precipitation WOW 😮 

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Dear weather gods, please can we have some of this (snow) for Christmas.

Well that didnt last long did it!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports in from the NWS, show the heaviest snowfall is in the mountains south of the state:

Boulder, CO — 1.7 inches at 6 p.m. MDT
Creede, CO — 2 inches at 6:18 p.m. MDT
Crescent Village, CO — 3 inches at 12:13 p.m. MDT
Crested Butte, CO — 1 inch at 2:33 p.m. MDT
Florissant, CO — 3.5 inches at 7:34 p.m. MDT
Fort Collins, CO — 2.5 inches at 7:33 p.m. MDT
Fort Garland, CO — 2 inches at 8:15 p.m. MDT
Gunnison, CO — 5 inches at 6:49 p.m. MDT
Kittredge, CO — 4.4 inches at 6:18 p.m. MDT
Marble, CO — 2 inches at 5 p.m. MDT
Maysville, CO — 7 inches at 6:06 p.m. MDT
Meeker, CO — 4 inches at 3:20 p.m. MDT
Monument, CO — 1.8 inches at 5:27 p.m. MDT
Nathrop, CO — 6.7 inches at 6:43 p.m. MDT
Nederland, CO — 3 inches at 4:54 p.m. MDT
Rifle, CO — 0.5 inch at 2:30 p.m. MDT
Taylor Park, CO — 3.5 inches at 6 p.m. MDT
Westcliffe, CO — 5 inches at 7:54 p.m. MDT

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An updated snowfall total shows DENVER as a TRACE!

Nathrop - 6.7 inches

Genesee - 6.7 inches

Allenspark - 6.5 inches

Crested Butte - 6 inches

Nederland - 5 inches

Meeker - 5 inches

Gunnison - 5 inches

Laporte - 4.7 inches

Monument - 4 inches

Rye - 3.8 inches

Florissant - 3.5 inches

Black Forest - 3 inches

Fort Collins - 2.5 inches

Boulder - 2 inches

Creede - 2 inches

Castle Rock - 2 inches

Longmont - 1.5 inches

Berthoud - 1.5 inches

Broomfield - 1.4 inches

Rifle - 0.5 inches

Eagle - 0.5 inches

Denver - Trace

Due mainly to the really warm temperatures of recent days, still being warm as the colder air hit, so in the main over the city area way too much latent warmth in the concrete and tarmac!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Appalling pollution in Oregon at present cause by the wildfires.  Oregon's Governor warned yesterday that it's the worst in the world. 

https://www.windy.com/-PM2-5-pm2p5?cams,pm2p5,45.213,-110.435,4

The fierce east winds have stopped and though there is a forecast change to the more usual westerlies, it is only slow - indeed days away.  So the air is almost static and the authorities mentioned an inversion trapping the poliution over the fire ravaged areas.  The scale of all tis damage is incredible.

2020 Sep 12 Oregon pollution.JPG

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Canmore, Alberta (Canadian Rockies)

A cool start just 2oC at 7:30am. A nice day forecast ahead maxes 15oC and sunny. 

Still minimal snow on the mountains. Unusual for this time of year. I anticipate that’ll change by Thanksgiving  (Oct 12) 

EEA82393-F449-4C38-92E8-BE35EE9A7722.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A cloudy sunrise over the Rockies but warmer start to the day. 8oC at 7:30am. Highs forecast of 15oC. Forecast looks good for the this week - sunny and temps up to 21oC

 

2303E401-0B1A-4312-A99A-8F4CC71580FD.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coopsy said:

A cloudy sunrise over the Rockies but warmer start to the day. 8oC at 7:30am. Highs forecast of 15oC. Forecast looks good for the this week - sunny and temps up to 21oC

 

2303E401-0B1A-4312-A99A-8F4CC71580FD.jpeg

welcome home...lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

are you self isolating?

I always play by the rules 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Warm already 14oC at 8am. Forecast high of 21oC possible and sunny 

 

 

71C25E12-64F4-4EA2-8C06-E413C51BE4D4.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another stunning day and considering it’s early October, highs of 22oC forecast is amazing. From my records the last time it was this hot in Canmore in early October was 2010. Maybe it’s an omen for the UK winter as we know what happened that year regarding cold and snow....

 

C9B7CA57-2188-4C1E-AA8A-B3D8C61D73A3.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2020 at 11:44, Coopsy said:

Another stunning day and considering it’s early October, highs of 22oC forecast is amazing. From my records the last time it was this hot in Canmore in early October was 2010. Maybe it’s an omen for the UK winter as we know what happened that year regarding cold and snow....

 

C9B7CA57-2188-4C1E-AA8A-B3D8C61D73A3.jpeg

and Alberta...2010-11 was the snowiest winter in Edmonton since 1974

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

and Alberta...2010-11 was the snowiest winter in Edmonton since 1974

That’s true it was very snowy that year. A repeat? 

How are you doing for weather lately? It’s another cracking day in the valley. Close to 20oC and wall to wall sunshine again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

That’s true it was very snowy that year. A repeat? 

How are you doing for weather lately? It’s another cracking day in the valley. Close to 20oC and wall to wall sunshine again. 

weather been great..today is cloudier and cooler..im flying to Prince George in BC tomorrow ..weather there Weds & Thurs cold and wet with highs around 6c

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...